NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Teppo Holmqvist

Horrible Blu-Ray patent!

I seriously think with a Nintendo and an Xbox 360 next to my TV I'd have the perfect set up.

games you can't lend, trade in etc is just silly.

Not if all the renters and lenders buy their own games it isn't, it's money in the bank for Sony, or that's what they think.

This patent was filed in 2000, if im reading it right. Sony wont bomb as hard as yall think and the PS3 is gonna be priced at the same level as 360. Though i wish theyd fail miserably , its just not gonna happen.

I doubt Sony would release a format which didn't allow for reselling or renting. The backlash would be severe, and it doesn't make a lot of sense for many retailers. How much money does Game make from it's overpriced 2nd hand titles? What about broken consoles - will you need to re-purchase your entire games collection?

It's not really a logical thing to implement, I don't think. They should just use a format which is harder to copy in the first place. Like cartridges. And don't put a USB port on your console, that's just asking for people to come along and hack it.

No more piracy!

No more used games!

No more lending games to your friends!

No more way to play games that you have bought if your PS3 breaks up!

Well it's for blue-ray so actual it means for the movie blue-rays

No more piracy!

No more used videoBR!

No more lending videoBR to your friends!

No more video Renting.

Must buy multiple of the same videoBR's to play a movie in al your videoBR players at your home.

No more way to see movies that you have bought if your BRDplayer breaks up!

Sony are becoming positively obsessed with anti-piracy measures. It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't insist making perfectly legal uses of the disk practically impossible to most legitamit users, and the pirates always crack it eventually anyway. That King-Kong PC demo for example. What the hell were they thinking putting anti-piracy MALWARE ito a FREE demo? What is the point? People have had their hard-drives FORMATTED because of that crap.

Meh, sounds just like more "We might do this" bollocks again tbh.

I agree, this patent doesnt seem likely.

Sony is much smarter than that, because this wont benefit them at all. Sony is not a developer, so they do not make the games. It will only benefit the developers if gamers had to go buy another copy of the game.

Its a smart idea to kill piracy, but needs to be thought through a bit more. Although broadband is pretty big in the world, the gaming market needs to wait until broadband is accesable to every one, then bring in the registration codes to actualy start playing the games, kinda like what most PC games are like right now.

Sony wont make any cash out of this patent, they are trying to resolve a problem, without considering the problems that could come from it.

Like doomstercool said, its the "We might do this" bollocks.

This smells like bull, but I wouldn't put it past Sony to do this. I mean they are cracking down on importing, so stopping the resale or lending of games would be the next step for them.

YES FUCK SONY I cant wait to get my rev and be able to seel my sony dvd player (ps2 as thats all i feel it is good for nowadays) and switch my console purchasing to nitendo.

I wouldnt mind a 360 but revo first please, and with 45£ games for 360 say whaaaaat!

This wont jsut kill the ps3, wont jsut kill playstation, it WILL kill sony. The elctronics department doesn't bring in enough money, i noticed that their mobiles (sony erricson) do alrite but with their massive debts and the ps3 obviously wont sell enough i think we may actually see the downfall of sony!

YES FUCK SONY I cant wait to get my rev and be able to seel my sony dvd player (ps2 as thats all i feel it is good for nowadays) and switch my console purchasing to nitendo.

I wouldnt mind a 360 but revo first please, and with 45£ games for 360 say whaaaaat!

This wont jsut kill the ps3, wont jsut kill playstation, it WILL kill sony. The elctronics department doesn't bring in enough money, i noticed that their mobiles (sony erricson) do alrite but with their massive debts and the ps3 obviously wont sell enough i think we may actually see the downfall of sony!

Dream on, thats the most pathetic argument i've ever read. You've wasted 2 minutes of my time and I want them back.

PS3 is actualy getting more media attention than the 360, its just the fact that 360's imminent release will make it first in the spotlight.

Sony wont fall, its too big, and it wont back down. Your one way thinking, you havent considered the other possibilites sony could do.

what will the sony fanboys have to say about this?

A year from now - Sony rocks! they well smart init preventin piracy n- crap, my PS3 blew...

If this is true then Blue Ray will fail. People won't accept this and HD-DVD which I consider the better option anyway will be successful

Sounds fishy to me, Sony isn't stupid, and seems to be a massive stepback to BEFORE SNES for crying out loud! It could have a grain of truth, but it's very likely to get sorted out.

Kinda shows the anti PS bias in this forum doesnt it.

guess who's back? back again? choze is back, tell a friend!

we missed you :kiss:

Sign in to follow this