NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Emasher

Should Gym Be Optional in high school?

Do you think gym should be optional in high school.  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think gym should be optional in high school.

• It should be optional in all four grades
    • It should only be mandatory in grade 9
    • It should only be mandatory in grades 9 and 10
    • It should be an option in grade 12 only
    • It should be mandatory throughout high school
    • Other (please specify in post)

I don't know how it is in europe but in Canada Gym is now a required credit in order to pass high school.

I always hated gym especially because of these fitness logs we have to do in my school. It also really brings my average down.

So what do you think?

Grade 9 is 14 year olds

Grade 10 is 15 year olds

Grade 11 is 16 year olds

Grade 12 is 17 year olds

It should be compulsory until you make choices as to what subjects you do.

Yes.

I hate such things... I get my exercise walking to lectures. (no really, in term time I walk several miles a day)

Well in most canadian schools we have some options starting in grade 7.

Credits start in grade 9 and we get much more choice in grade 10 of what subjects we take.

I don't think anything in school should be compulsory.

I'm much more inclined to do something if I'm not forced into it.

No way man alive whats the world come to I was shit at gym but you should do it good exercise and all that.

Could you edit the poll into ages?

I put the ages in the first post but this is grade based not age based.

To encourage people to be active and healthy, to stop the rise of obesity in young people, to encourage sportsmanship and team work, to build confidence in young people etc . . .

I think it should be compulsory as in, you go there have a nice and fun game of whatever with your friends and burn some calories. What it shouldn't be is something that counts to your overall average, or has theoric classes about specific sports which most students don't give a crap about. Somebody should tell Gym teachers that what they do isn't a real job, no matter what bullshit you try to cram in it.

To encourage people to be active and healthy, to stop the rise of obesity in young people, to encourage sportsmanship and team work, to build confidence in young people etc . . .

Honestly, I didn't like it back then, I don't like it now. And I don't know anyone who's changed their mind about it because of it. Do you?

Sportsmanship? That's crap, there's always been two groups of people in PE: the ones who're good, and the ones who get picked last. How the fuck does that encourage sportsmanship and teamwork or help build confidence??

I'm gonna tell it like it is. I'm fat. I'm one of the kids who got picked last. With one exception: I'm not an outcast. The other guys didn't even dare to mock me. I always stood up for myself, and let nobody step on me. They think they're better than me? Well, I'll show them they're not.

But what about the other ones, the ones without moral fibber?

I saw the humiliation that goes on in these classes, and I tell you, that can bring no good into someone's life.

Oh, and one thing, I went through the entire high school without moving a single muscle in PE classes. I'm still here. I made it through. Living proof your theory doesn't work.

Plus, it destroys your average...

Wich of your arguments is still standing?

Me and Oxigen always skillfully did nothing at PE. Fun times ^^

I think it should be mandatory up to middle school maybe, but just as a means to exercise and keep healthy not as something that's graded or that resembles joining the army.

Honestly, I didn't like it back then, I don't like it now. And I don't know anyone who's changed their mind about it because of it. Do you?

Even if some people don't like it, it should still be done.

I saw the humiliation that goes on in these classes, and I tell you, that can bring no good into someone's life.

You mean just like the similar people who are less capable than others at things like maths?

I hated PE, and I hardly did anything in it. I was always picked last and people picked on me because of it (but soon stopped because they saw that I didn't really care). Still, it should still be compulsory.

(Oh, and you missed one of his arguments)

or has theoric classes about specific sports which most students don't give a crap about.

I never had any theory classes in compulsory PE. Neither did my school have an "overall average".

I can vouch for what Oxigen said. I was (am) a mildly fat and nerdy kid, the only sport I didn't get picked last was Football because I was a good defender (thankfully that was what we did most of the times). I never had any further troubles because the "cool" guys in my class were actually cool, it sure as hell wasn't from my pumped up confidence after good last place in the relay race with my nerd group. And guess what, I never got a good score because I don't run like a freaking Kenyan!

MANDATORY.

Good God, you guys HAVE NO IDEA how much you can benefit from Gym class. I hate my school for giving us only one period A WEEK because we're seniors now...they make me spend my lunch breaks in the gym lifting weights. I SHOULD BE RUNNING AROUND A TRACK AND DOING PUSHUPS DAMMIT.

MANDATORY.

Good God, you guys HAVE NO IDEA how much you can benefit from Gym class. I hate my school for giving us only one period A WEEK because we're seniors now...they make me spend my lunch breaks in the gym lifting weights. I SHOULD BE RUNNING AROUND A TRACK AND DOING PUSHUPS DAMMIT.

Thats my kind of fellow. : peace:

As we gobble down more Hagendaz ice cream than ever before, lets not make PE mandatory...Indeed.

MANDATORY.

You're a narcisistic bastard, of course you like it.

If Gym is bringing your average down, then you need to get off Photoshop and do some crunches!

I think that a year of gym should be mandatory in High School. Let's you work off that fatty food. In Junior High I took gym every semester I could, in High School its a little different though. I am currently awaiting for my senior year to take gym, because the current teacher is absolute horrible and I'm hoping for a change to take place soon.

Mandatory.

I know people who weren't even good at PE who took the GCSE because it's easy to pass. It's all about getting involved, if people mock you at least show your trying. People who crumble and cry or whine are the ones who will get mocked.

Though back in the day I was a bit of s sports freak. Though I never got involved with the school football team because they were all cocks.

Mandatory. Let's face it there are always things where people get humiliated not just PE. I hate it when people start moaning about having to do PE and that you can't buy junk food in schools anymore. Well sorry for trying to make your life better. Maybe if you got off your fat arse and actually did a bit of exercise you might enjoy it.

And as for the humiliation thing, there are plenty of people in the same boat and in my school there were different levels so you could go into the lower level if you wanted to.

My memories of PE were that at the beginning of the lessons the teacher would split us into those he thought were naturally good at sports (who were usually nob-ends) and those that weren't. I was usually in the those that weren't catagory. Then the teacher would go off and spend the entire lesson with the people he thought were good and leave the rest of us to piss about on our own. Yep, I view that as being a great valuble use of my school time. Eventually I gave up and along with quite a few others realised that if you didn't bring your kit you could just sit inside and chat without repercussions. I did bring in kit for football though, mainly because I could take defence and have reasonable grounds to brutally attack the arseholes of the school without them coming and beating me later.

So all in all I see it as huge waste of time unless you're naturally good at sports, as if you're not you get ignored and learn nothing. I've no idea how I ended up with a C at GCSE with the lack of effort I made.

Mandatory.

Hey, I wasn't good at PE either, but I liked those classes. It's good exercise, and can give you some time to play some sports with your mates/colleagues/whatever.

And just like Cube and Oxigen_Waste said, if you get picked on, it's mostly because you can't stand up for yourself.

Of course, PE should never count to your overall average. You shouldn't be held back because you couldn't jump as high or run as fast as the other guy.

Also, the right to have a decent changeroom. I hated the tiny changeroom we had in our school. I believe some of my colleagues turned gay because of it.

I think it should be Mandatory.

Admittedly I'd like to think of myself as fairly healthy and was always one of the good long distance runners back in the day. But I always found PE to be good fun and so did nearly all the other people in my year (I think). If it goes, it really will not help the obesity epidemic at all, I think we need it for that alone. Some of you may say you got no excercise when you did PE, but it does help most children. I miss PE actually =(

Sign in to follow this