Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

McPhee

PS1/2 games are upscaled, PS3 games run at their native resolution and their in game engines throw out whatever they want. The PS3 does not have a hardware scaler chip, it can only run at what the developer tells it to.

The 360 has a dedicated scaler chip, it gets whatever resolution you throw at it and it upscales it to what you want the output to be, this usually doesn't make an ounce of difference as most games are 720p. This is why developers like Bungie can make Halo 3 run at 640p and then the 360 takes care of the upscaling to 720p/1080i/1080p.

There is no frame rate loss from this, no calculations are taking place, its simply scaling. There is no proof that using a 1080p signal from a game that runs in 720p causes frame rate issues.

Er i think your wrong as lots of PS3 games run at 640p upscalled like GTA, MGS4 and Bioshock also run at sub 720p.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Daft

• flameboy

• dwarf

• Choze

Top Posters In This Topic

PS3 has software scaling technology (apparently, from what i've just read up online), so games like CoD4 that run in 600p appear to run in 720p. Its not quite as efficient as a hardware scaler, but shouldn't result in any performance issues. At least not from what i've played.

I don't actually care. GTA IV is nearly a year old and for me is no longer relevant as a game I completed it ages ago and with plenty of other new games out I don't have any interest in playing some episodic content.

the new DLC batters the original story, sorry to say, but microsoft made the right move in making this exlucisve, its fucking ace

You can see why it makes sense from a business point of view though. Although a lot must be paid by MS to get exclusive DLC for Xbox to make it worthwhile for the developer. It would have to be more money than what the developer could make on both consoles.

Tis dumb.

Indeed, in the end its only the consumers that get fucked over. Even if you have both consoles, you might end up having to buy 2 games as well.

So far, the GTA4 DLC has surprised me, its actually far more fun than I remember and installing to the HDD drastically removes frame rate issues after about an hour of play.

Nearing 5000 comments here, yet the 360 thread has tonnes more. Why is that? It was released earlier, yes, but I'd thought it would be a bit more 'even' by now.

Maybe there just happen to be more 360 owners here or maybe the 360 is actually a better console!

Nearing 5000 comments here, yet the 360 thread has tonnes more. Why is that? It was released earlier, yes, but I'd thought it would be a bit more 'even' by now.

Maybe there just happen to be more 360 owners here or maybe the 360 is actually a better console!

This thread is just over a year old. The 360 thread is over 3 years old.

I'd be more annoyed if they made exclusive download for Fall... Oh wait they did... :( Ah well at least it turned out to be pretty poor.

Pretty poor? This DLC is better than the original story IMO, fair doos to Microsoft, they took a chance n spent the money, and it paid off.

To me, thie story in the DlC is better than the original DLC sotry, if you played it, im sure you';d think too, thank god i own 360, it seeems to be the supreme game machine at the moment, though i wudnt turn down a Ps3, i sure wudnt put it before a 360, just my 2 cents though.

The 360 has a dedicated scaler chip, it gets whatever resolution you throw at it and it upscales it to what you want the output to be, this usually doesn't make an ounce of difference as most games are 720p. This is why developers like Bungie can make Halo 3 run at 640p and then the 360 takes care of the upscaling to 720p/1080i/1080p.

There is no frame rate loss from this, no calculations are taking place, its simply scaling.

You might want to update your info. neogaf recently did a thread on this.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=351133

Also the 360 does not use a scaler chip. It was all a big myth that so many of us got caught up in.

There is no proof that using a 1080p signal from a game that runs in 720p causes frame rate issues.

In 1080p 360 games suffer some loss of performance sadly. Same goes for PS3 to an extent. So run your game in the native resolution (720p in most cases).

PS3's output is automatic it will select the best choice for you. So dont worry about it.

If you cant take that 360 butt fucked u on the DLC content, then u shud just blow up ur ps3 now, it really is one of the only DLC's that is actually worth owning, sony have truly missed out on this one

Except 360 doesnt have Killzone 2. :D

2z7eu6g.gif

Not long now.

http://www.taxigamer.com/video.php?id=212&id_game=25675

Pretty poor? This DLC is better than the original story IMO, fair doos to Microsoft, they took a chance n spent the money, and it paid off.

dwarf was talking about Operation Anchorage, the first piece of Fallout 3 DLC.

If you cant take that 360 butt fucked u on the DLC content, then u shud just blow up ur ps3 now, it really is one of the only DLC's that is actually worth owning, sony have truly missed out on this one

The thing is, I'm not sure this is actually much of a boon for Microsoft. They've supposedly paid $50 million to net the exclusive DLC — to give some context, Square-Enix look set to buy Eidos for $120 million — and whilst I'm sure the product itself is good... well, I still have the PS3 version of the game and I'm not going to go out and buy a different copy just so I can then pay more money for some extra content. So at my level, all that's been achieved is that I'm slightly annoyed.

I think third-party exclusive games are okay as it generally means that title will be built around its platform and everyone that can play it will reap the benefits. Exclusive DLC simply stops people purchasing something they'd like to for no other reason than cheap one-upmanship; from a technical perspective Rockstar could no doubt have The Lost and Damned running on the PS3 in a day.

Anyway, apparently a Yakuza 3 demo will go up on the Japanese Store tomorrow. I'm not sure whether I should try it or not, lest Sega do something crazy like not release the game in the West. It might be better to live in ignorance.

Go for SF4. SSF2THD will feel like a waste of money. I hate the fact it looks like the sprites have scanlines and how despite being HD its not attractive 2D. Online is fine but thats about the only strong point. Bear in mind the hardcore fans are used to the whole minor updates thing. So for them its probably the best game ever. :heh:

Support games like http://www.n-europe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16723 instead. I hope it ends up good.

PSN is going to busy with other stuff too.

thankfully, im to logical a person to blow up an expensive bit of kit over a single game. seriously, what would you think if we were going across to the 360 thread and posting that 360 dosent get mgs4, or uncharted? you'd not think "damn my choice of console was wrong!" youd think "what an immature tit"

had SF2 been out a month ago, id have got it in preperation. well done on that sony.

Online gaming is so good. First realised it could be entertaining on the DS with Hunters and MK, didn't think it was tht great on Wii.

Having spent a vast majority of time online on the PS3 it is fair to say it is the biggest leap forward for a long time - moreso than the Wii controllers I think.

Just the fact you can connect to people from across the world and play against them in a game whilst talking - It's brilliant, especially when you use teamwork or beat them at something. And it's all pretty much free!

It's the make or break point with so many games now, with stuff like Socom based purely on online.