N-Europe

Carbonated Drinks, And Their Mysteries Therin!

ReZourceman

So, I was at TGI Fridays on Saturday and Im sitting there staring at my Coca Cola.

Bubbles were fizzing up from the depths of the drink. This got me thinking. Why wasnt the drink noticably decreasing in size...surely if gas is leaving the drink it should reduce in size?

Im not a scientist!

But yeah its random. So many bubbles...where were they coming from? Highly compressed gas?

ALSO

Who invented carbonated drinks..whats their purpose?

Coca Cola was originally a metal cleaner... How it got from that to the most popular soft drink in the world I've got no idea. The brand image of Coca Cola is remarkable.

1_coke.jpg

Now who's gagging for a can of coke?

Coke%20logo%20bottle.jpg

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, lovely coke.

Coca Cola was originally a metal cleaner... How it got from that to the most popular soft drink in the world I've got no idea. The brand image of Coca Cola is remarkable.

1_coke.jpg

Now who's gagging for a can of coke?

Coke%20logo%20bottle.jpg

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, lovely coke.

I thought coke was first meant to be a medicine though?

Haven't had a coke in a while, but I do love my carbonated water! Which, remarkably, keeps its bubbles for more than a day (or two even), even if the bottle has been opened already. =D

The bubble points. Aside from that, I couldn't really find any info on the weight. I think if you think about it, the mass might alter but the weight will stay the same, like if you have 500ml of water and pour in 50g of salt and stir. The weight stays the same because the salt molecules fit in between the water ones. I guess the carbon molecules fit in between the coke ones in a similar way?

EDIT: For Eenuh; the origins of coke and the involvement of cocaine! It says coke was "promoted as a patent medicine..."

The bubble points. Aside from that, I couldn't really find any info on the weight. I think if you think about it, the mass might alter but the weight will stay the same, like if you have 500ml of water and pour in 50g of salt and stir. The weight stays the same because the salt molecules fit in between the water ones. I guess the carbon molecules fit in between the coke ones in a similar way?

EDIT: For Eenuh; the origins of coke and the involvement of cocaine! It says coke was "promoted as a patent medicine..."

Nope, provided you're on the same place on the planet, weight = 9.8(roughly)*mass, always. So yes, drinks will get lighter as they lose their fizziness. It's probably also worth noting the the everyday definition of weight is actually scientifically known as mass.

The CO2 dissolves by a series of reversible reactions:

CO2(g) <=> CO2(l)

CO2(l) + H2O(l) <=> H2CO3

H2CO3 + H2O(l) <=> HCO3-(aq) + H3O+(aq)

So it's the carbonic anion, HCO3-, that causes part of the fizzy taste, and this is why flat drinks are sweeter - they lose acidity when carbon dioxide leaves the solution.

Wait wait wait, are you saying that if you have 500ml of water weighing 500g and you add 50g of salt that the mass will stay at 500g? That's impossible. Also the density would obviously change as salt water is easier to float on.

1 mole of any gas STP will occupy 24dm^3, however when in another state this volume is obviously far far less. Therefore it might not seem like that much gas can come from such a small volume, however only a small amount of dissolved carbon dioxide turns to gas, but it gives a much larger volume when gas if that makes sense.