Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Science: it works, bitches!

The fish

Sounds like something better than OCR Salters. Even doing university chemistry (part of my course) I haven't got to use acid anything like that strong.

However, in my evolution practical today I did get to freeze leaves in liquid nitrogen before crushing them. And they let us use chloroform... apparently in the group before us, it got spilt is someone's lap. :heh:

Ahh nice. Are you doing Natural sciences then.

Im doing Nuffield (Edexcel) not the most exciting one in the world:indeed:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt it - isn't that just the current theory explaining the disparities in mass between two different methods for measuring the mass of the universe?

as in...it doesn't exist? i think thats where its currently at.

So they see nothingness in space, that isn't pulling light and planets and gases in (i.e. not a black hole)

and @ Blue niinja, isn't that anti matter?

Dark matter and dark energy are basically an unproven theory to try and explain why our formula formula to explain the universe doesn't fit what we're actually seeing, in fact its not very close at all. It's a guess, and they're trying to find the properties of it to see if they can prove it exists or not.

Blue_ninga: That's antimatter, seen all the time in the form of positrons in Beta+ decay.

Ahh nice. Are you doing Natural sciences then.

Im doing Nuffield (Edexcel) not the most exciting one in the world:indeed:

Yeah, natural sciences... I'll either go into biochemistry/geneticsy stuff or evolution I think.

Talking of which, I just finished an essay on evolution... it's really interesting, but there's so much jargon. For example, a sentence that could have been in my essay (I watered it down a bit in the actual thing):

"Wolbachia strains induce thelytokous parthenogenesis in haplo-diploid insects." :heh:

"Wolbachia strains induce thelytokous parthenogenesis in haplo-diploid insects." :heh:

They sure do. I'm wanting to go on and do a Masters in Evolutionary Palaeobiology, but I'm not sure when to apply and not sure if I did that I'd get on the course. It think they'd look at my overall results and think I'm academically weak. Might have emphasise that the areas I sucked in were things like Geophysics and Hydrology, while I regularly got high scores in my Palaeoenvironment Palaeontology and Micropalaeontology modules.

What does science have to say about the mind?

In what way? Like Neuroscience and the way the brain functions or like where consciousness comes from?

They sure do. I'm wanting to go on and do a Masters in Evolutionary Palaeobiology, but I'm not sure when to apply and not sure if I did that I'd get on the course. It think they'd look at my overall results and think I'm academically weak. Might have emphasise that the areas I sucked in were things like Geophysics and Hydrology, while I regularly got high scores in my Palaeoenvironment Palaeontology and Micropalaeontology modules.

Sounds interesting.

We had a great lecture of plant defence mechanisms today, I'm really liking evolution at the moment.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!