N-Europe

Why do you Love the Wii So much?

McMad

Do you like the Wii?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Wii?

• Yes
    • No

Simple. Just answer the title question, your answer can be long or short but I personally just want to understand why you; the core Nintendo fans, love the Wii, something I just can't seem to comprehend right now.

In this thread people can question others reasons for liking the Wii but I don't want any flaming, that's not the point of this thread.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't love the wii, no. There have been no really appealing games I've wanted untill now. With Mario Galaxy just around the corner and much much more I'm sure I'll change my opinion on it though. It's a good console with so much potential, that's only just starting to get realised.

This year, the 360 has had the better games come out for it, so far at least. Though taking into account the Wii isn't even a year old, mind.

edit: the poll is worded a little badly, I'm sure people like the Wii, but whether you love it is a different matter surely?

Taken from the other thread:

"I love the fact that I already have more good and fun games than I expected from the first year, I love VC, I love that I can finally play with non gamer friends and family, I love it that games, like sport games that I didn't give a rats ass about before are now fun because of the controls, which is Tiger Woods and Madden's case, that should suffice no? Each one has different reasons for liking a console, most of the things you like about 360 I've been doing on the PC for years and most games don't entice me, that's why Wii was and is my first choice. Again, to each one their own, no problem.

Now talking like that, "oh they broke their promises" and you'll be done with Nintendo next year and whatnot, seems a little sad to me to be honest. Of course that if in 2/3 years you have a Wii and very few games you like, sure sell your Wii, but saying "I'm done with Nintendo" is a tad extreme. I didn't and don't like PS1 and for most of its life PS2 had mostly uninteresting, generic and bad games. I got one and it was mostly unused, but with time, great games came and I play it very often now. I never said "I'm done with Sony", I just kept the damn console and eventually I got to play great games like God of War, SHadow of the Colossus and Persona 3. I just think that going to extreme positions like that heavily reduces the enjoyment you could be taking out of games. It's like you view videogames as politics or something with that talk about promises and whatnot. I know you guys think I'm just a blind Nintendo fanboy, but the truth is, as soon as I get the chance, I buy other consoles and play them and I'm honest about their games, for example Shadow of the Colossus, was withtout a drop of doubt one of the best games I've ever played. I'm also dying to go to my friend's house and play Halo 3.

Rant over :P"

Cause it's new. After playing a PS1 and PS2 for about 11 years with all the games being similiar and not alot of progression, I guess I just got bored sooner or later. Sure, the games could still rule and there were some refreshing and new games, but for the most part it just felt like I had played everything before.

And this come this generation, 360 and PS3 still feel the exact same. The best games on their line ups are sequels, they're pushing for uber realism in graphics when I want a more artistic approach and it all just feels a bit bland to me. Of course there are games which are exceptions, which could end up with me getting a PS3, but not at it's current price.

Wii games just feel new and different, well not all of them, but the ones I'm looking forward to do, which is enough for me. The console's line up for the first year has been a bit medicre, but I don't think I've ever owned a console from launch which hasn't been hit with delays and droughts. For me, it makes it better in the long term, I guess it just helps me appreciate it alot more.

so far I have not taken to my Wii as much as I would of liked too. I love the VC games but thats about it. If I was not downloading VC games the Machine would be collecting dust. There has been hardly any software I have wanted to buy. Luckily Mario Galaxy is out soon so the Wii will be used much more often.

Do I love the Wii? Yes and no.

Since having a Wii since launch day I have had my ups and downs with it. I loved Wii Sports when I first got it but the novelty soon wore off. Luckly I had Zelda to play and although I loved it to bits it was lacking something that to this day I still cant put my finger on. Then came the release of a few games here and there but nothing really got me buzzing except Excite Truck which was in Feb time.

Sure other games have come and gone and have game me enjoyment such as R Evil 4 Wii, Eledees, Rayman and Wario Ware but nothing has had me hyped since last year when the Wii was actually launching....until now.

The next few months are going to be killer for Wii owners. With titles such as Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Resident Evil U.C and Mario and Sonic all coming out we are in for a hectic lead up to Christmas. I kid you not when I say I preordered 7 Wii games just last night off Gameplay which came to around £220 and im still missing some off the order that I wanted.

The VC is where my love really lies for the Wii. Having grown up with the NES, SNES and N64 the VC system is a great setup for those wanting to relive their youth, if only they would release a freaking hardrive though :)

So, do I love the Wii? Not yet. Do I enjoy the Wii? Most definetly!!

edit: the poll is worded a little badly, I'm sure people like the Wii, but whether you love it is a different matter surely?

I did that on purpose, I want to see how many people just like the Wii, and who are the people that really love it.

I had my doubts as to whether the Wii could work , but the moment I first swung the remote on Wii Sports Tennis I became a believer. It just worked , and worked so well.

The first proper game I bought was Madden '07 , a series that had been slumping in recent years , and the way the controls were implemented in that convinced me further. The level of immersion reinvented the game. Granted I could use smaller movements which didn't feel too much unlike pushing buttons , but if I wanted I could also imitate Matt Hasselbeck at Qwest Field.

After being sold/convinced on the controls all there was to worry about was the games.

Granted , there have been a few too many mini-game collections and the focus does seem to be too strongly in favour of the expanded market , but all the while Nintendo are still able to deliver on their well-established franchises , and there have also been some 3rd party gems , then I have no real concerns and will continue to enjoy everything the Wii offers.

Guest dynastygal

I don't like the wii because I prefer to sit down with a dual pad rather than look like I've had a few too many. The novelty of the controller also wears off pretty quickly, and there don't seem to be that many new and interesting games for it.

I had my doubts as to whether the Wii could work , but the moment I first swung the remote on Wii Sports Tennis I became a believer. It just worked , and worked so well.

The first proper game I bought was Madden '07 , a series that had been slumping in recent years , and the way the controls were implemented in that convinced me further. The level of immersion reinvented the game. Granted I could use smaller movements which didn't feel too much unlike pushing buttons , but if I wanted I could also imitate Matt Hasselbeck at Qwest Field.

You'll love 08 then, look forward to my review :P

I voted no.

Hopefully Metroid will sway me, but right now nothing has impressed me very much.

I have 7 games on my Wii and i'm buying 4 more before the end of the year, but so far nothing has really sold it to me.

in dont love it but i like the wii becouse it is something really different it is something that i just wanna pick up and play

with my 360 i get bored very easily but that will change when i have virtua fighter naruto and assassin creed

and for the wii i hope metroid will wipe me from my feet after that i want Online multiplayer games it doesnt have to be better then the 360 stuff like that becouse for the wii its for free .

but saying "I'm done with Nintendo" is a tad extreme.

Maybe it is a bit too extreme and untrue to some extent, but seriously so far this year I have only bought one game made by Nintendo (I would have bought Zelda and Metroid on Friday if I had some money to be fair), normally I buy about 7 games by Nintendo every year, the reason being is because most of the games they've released this year aren't really worth my money, I don't want to have to spend £40 on Mario Strikers because it's the only game out at the moment.

But personally I'm just losing interest in Nintendo, and if there's more of the same next year and all the games worth a damn by them are released within one month of each other then I'm probably going to sell my Wii because then, it will just be a £180 paperweight to me.

I don't understand eveyone who says the novelty wears off?? It's the way you play... did the novelty of a D-pad wear off, or the analogue stick???

Play RE:4 on GC then Wii...If you prefer a pad still then there's no hope for you!!!

Maybe it is a bit too extreme and untrue to some extent, but seriously so far this year I have only bought one game made by Nintendo (I would have bought Zelda and Metroid on Friday if I had some money to be fair), normally I buy about 7 games by Nintendo every year, the reason being is because most of the games they've released this year aren't really worth my money, I don't want to have to spend £40 on Mario Strikers because it's the only game out at the moment.

But personally I'm just losing interest in Nintendo, and if there's more of the same next year and all the games worth a damn by them are released within one month of each other then I'm probably going to sell my Wii because then, it will just be a £180 paperweight to me.

Er... Nintendo ALWAYS released few games. In fact, they never released so many games in such a short time.

But if you don't like the games, there's nothing to be done though.

Guest dynastygal
I don't understand eveyone who says the novelty wears off?? It's the way you play... did the novelty of a D-pad wear off, or the analogue stick???

Play RE:4 on GC then Wii...If you prefer a pad still then there's no hope for you!!!

Well d-pads are common design - pcs, xbox, gc, ps have similar shaped pads. Where as this new controller design was pretty much a novelty/gimmick. Mind, I didn't like the design before it even came out.

I don't like FPS.

Well d-pads are common design - pcs, xbox, gc, ps have similar shaped pads. Where as this new controller design was pretty much a novelty/gimmick. Mind, I didn't like the design before it even came out.

I don't like FPS.

Yeah, but the D-pad was new/novelty/gimmick once... like everything else!!!

Er... Nintendo ALWAYS released few games. In fact, they never released so many games in such a short time.

But if you don't like the games, there's nothing to be done though.

There's been about one game every month this year for DS and Wii by Nintendo and none of them have interested me. (except for this month's offerings and next month's :heh: )

Guest dynastygal
Yeah, but the D-pad was new/novelty/gimmick once... like everything else!!!

When I started gaming it was a common controller so I can't comment.