Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The Movie News Thread!

Retro_Link

Shame I couldn't find the third page of that scene. It's so bloody absurd but I love it: the optic blast goes through the building, hits the plane the x-men are captive in and, in going through that too, it severs Wolverine's shackles and sets him free. It's absolutely ridiculous

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wrote a massive post about Iceman being unlikeable etc (but decided it went on too ong about shit), but I actually think he's written well, and his temperamental nature and immaturity is kinda part of his character now.

Iceman travels by making ice bridges. This sentence wins any argument that he isn't the best.

Really dangerous for anyone below them once they begin to thaw and drop on passers-by.

His ice bridges were shown in that Spider-Man unlimited story about the guy hired to clean-up after superheroes, actually, which was a good inclusion.

I've just heard about the Spiderman reboot thing.

WHAT THE FRAK????

This reboot thing is ridiculous, what will the new film be? Another origin story? Will we seriously have to see Parker "become" Spiderman again, lose uncle Ben etc. Maybe to change things they'll reintroduce the webshooters instead of the organic ones?

And who to be the villian? Green Goblin again? They may aswell just re-release the first film because that got things so spot on. And if Goblin isn't in the origin story it just wouldn't feel right seeing as he's meant to be Spidermans main villian

Rebooting from part 3 would have been the better route to take. They could have just come out and said "Yeah, we know we fucked up part 3, we totally screwed over the Venom story, sorry, We're going to discontinued production of DVDs/Blu Rays of part 3 and make a Spiderman 3.5 and make it as awesome as parts 1 and 2"

That would make sense in terms of a reboot, not rebooting the whole bloody thing, there's still tons more material and characters within the Spiderman universe to use.

Yeah, but as pointed out, the existing Spider-Man movieverse is so rubbish and unlike Spider-Man that a reboot is mostly a good thing.

No one's ever gonna come out and say "Oh yeah the last one was shit, let's do it again". It was the highest grossing of the 3, and not a complete write-off in any case.

And who to be the villian? Green Goblin again? They may aswell just re-release the first film because that got things so spot on. And if Goblin isn't in the origin story it just wouldn't feel right seeing as he's meant to be Spidermans main villian

There really is nothing to say that the Goblin needs to be in Spider-Mans origin story. He is definately one of Spider-Mans main villains and has probably caused the most grief but a lot could work. Personally I wouldnt mind seeing Electro and getting them to show more of Peters scientific side to beat him.

Edited by Happenstance

Electro is too ...flimsy though. Reaistically, the idea of a villain who fires fucking lightning bolts (as well as incredible mastery over electricity in general) not being able to beat a shit like Spider-Man is unbelievable enough in the comics, it'll be ridiculous in the movies.

Electro seems to be really powerful, but at the same time, utter crap. I think Sandman was done right, and I wish he was the sole villain of Spidey 3, cause he has the raw power, lack of brains and kinda "sob story" thing. Kraven and Mysterio would be a bit random as the main villain in an origin story. I like the idea of Vulture and/or Chameleon, both of which were his earliest enemies in the comics, and could work on film.

Yeah, but as pointed out, the existing Spider-Man movieverse is so rubbish and unlike Spider-Man that a reboot is mostly a good thing.

No one's ever gonna come out and say "Oh yeah the last one was shit, let's do it again". It was the highest grossing of the 3, and not a complete write-off in any case.

Successful because of the hype and because the previous 2 were good, people expected the same of the 3rd.

I'm not suggesting losing Toby, Raimi etc is a bad thing, like the idea of a new cast and crew (assuming it's a good cast and crew) getting the chance to bring a Spiderman story to cinema. But they do not need to reboot the whole thing just because they are changing actors. They could just as easily just continue on.

Unfortunately aswell it seems this is all because Sony wanted to control things too much, thus not allow Raimi to fully realise his own vision for the film. And if this remains the same with the reboot, and I suspect it will, I don't have the highest of hopes for it. I foresee Sony wanting to cram in as many villians as they think they can (ala Batman Forever/Batman & Robin) so they can increase revenue from action figures, etc.

And Sony saying that this is mainly because Spiderman 4 was not going to make its May 6 2011 release is stupid, if a film is not going to be done in time to make a release date then just pencil in a later release date?

Idealy what they should have done was think in terms of trilogies, of course you can't expect the same actors to play the same characters forever and changing actors can be difficult but if you plan for a trilogy you allow the actors to fulfill a full story arc, then for the next trilogy you bring in new actors.

I've said it previously idealy the way they should have approached Spiderman was consider the first 3 films the Goblin Trilogy, part 3 should have been more focused on Harry as Goblin 2 (minus the memory lose, and the god awful Butler explanation crap, with the addition of more visions of his father, Willem Dafoe FTW). Drop Sandman and his horrible origin story (science experiment in open air with tons of variables and "oh it's just a bird, there's no need to check on it that's why we didn't put cameras in there", what were they thinking?) They could have still had Spiderman get the symbiote and black suit, (of course do it better in terms of Parkers character change and no disco scene) and leave Venom out. Perferably end the film with Eddie Brock finding the Symbiote and becoming Venom then Credits.

This would have set up part 4 with Venom being the villian and the 2nd Trilogy being the "Symbiote Trilogy". Part 4 could have ended with Spidey seperating Brock and the symbiote and somehow lauching to space. Part 5 they take their pick of just one villian, end the film with Eddie (from a mental hospital window) looking at the night sky and seeing something fall to Earth and smiling. Part 6 then would invlove Venom and Carnage to end the Symbiote Trilogy.

The 3rd Trilogy could then take from the Clone Saga, introduce Ben Reily and the Scarlet Spider and of course the ressurection of Norman Osborn. What they could do after that I wouldn't care about anymore so long as those stories were told, haha.

Ah well, I can always dream, :heh:

I wonder how this Spiderman reboot will play into the Avengers thing they are planning?

The 1st Avengers film is due for 2012 and so is the "new" Spiderman. Wonder might we see a Nick Fury cameo in Spiderman Reboot and see Spiderman then join the Avengers in "The Avengers 2"... maybe perhaps building towards a Civil War arc? Now That would be pretty awesome if they went in that direction.

Vulture is never gonna happen though unless Sony give him a major revamp, because an old, balding man with parrot wings just isn't gonna appeal as a main villian to the casual audience.

I think there might be a way of making Lizard work as an origins story... but the film would need to be in uni and it's not, so that's out.

I'm struggling to see past Green Goblin.

I wonder how this Spiderman reboot will play into the Avengers thing they are planning?

The 1st Avengers film is due for 2012 and so is the "new" Spiderman. Wonder might we see a Nick Fury cameo in Spiderman Reboot and see Spiderman then join the Avengers in "The Avengers 2"... maybe perhaps building towards a Civil War arc? Now That would be pretty awesome if they went in that direction.

It wont tie in at all. Iron Man, Hulk, Avengers and Captain America are all made by Marvel which is why they can tie together, Spider-Man wont be able to.

It wont tie in at all. Iron Man, Hulk, Avengers and Captain America are all made by Marvel which is why they can tie together, Spider-Man wont be able to.

HUh? Of course it will... Spiderman is Marvel also.... and he did join the Avengers in the comics just before the Superhero Civil War.

Yeah but the Spiderman license is now owned by Sony, as opposed to Marvel entertainment, or what have you.

Ah right, I thought ye were saying Spiderman wasn't Marvel comics. :hmm:

Nuts I didn't realise Sony fully owned the rights Spiderman... so Marvel have totally no say in Spiderman movies anymore? Why would they sell off what is one of their biggest franchises?

Ah right, I thought ye were saying Spiderman wasn't Marvel comics. :hmm:

Nuts I didn't realise Sony fully owned the rights Spiderman... so Marvel have totally no say in Spiderman movies anymore? Why would they sell off what is one of their biggest franchises?

Because back then they werent making movies, thats only started a couple of years ago

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!