N-Europe

Is Wii wasted potential?

darkjak

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing is though, even if the gamecube had no 3rd party support whatsoever it would still be worth buying, simply for 1st party. I think the term 'no 3rd party' was flung around far too often, while discarding the fact that there were tons of great first party games often better than random 3rd party games.

I'm not saying I didn't really enjoy games like RE4 and ToS, just that it was still an incredible console for me at least on 1st party alone.

It was bareable, but really the GameCube got to a stage where you'd be lucky if there was one good game in 2 months, and if that game was a genre you didn't like? tough luck.

The first party games are going to be there no matter what, I just want third party games as well. There are alot of things Nintendo can't or don't do, that I'd like to see the Wii Remote used for. Also I just want more games :P.

I'm glad the Wii third party line up is really starting to take alot of shape now though.

It was bareable, but really the GameCube got to a stage where you'd be lucky if there was one good game in 2 months, and if that game was a genre you didn't like? tough luck.

The first party games are going to be there no matter what, I just want third party games as well. There are alot of things Nintendo can't or don't do, that I'd like to see the Wii Remote used for. Also I just want more games :P.

I'm glad the Wii third party line up is really starting to take alot of shape now though.

I don't think there was one good game for the PS2 even every 3 months. And as far as really good games, maybe you'd get one every 5 months on PS2 if you were lucky.

It seems like I've used the wrong set of words here...

I don't expect games that push the Wii graphically like RE4 did on the Cube, or exclusive übergreat mega grrr games in every genre. What I'm expecting is developers to show that they're TRYING. I mean, there's a centilion different developers out there, why can't at least ONE announce a "realistic" racer, that actually has graphics that look like a Gamecube game? I was getting my hopes up for Crusin' Wii, but as it turns out it's so ugly it would look bad on Dreamcast, I'm actually quite sure that an N64 could play it with an expansionpack! Sure, Ferrari you say, but what has been announced about the game, apart from what the PS3 version will look like?

I mean, it's not so hard, take Enthusia for the PS2, for example, and just port the damn thing, fix framerate issues, throw in one or two extra cars and one extra cup, and voilá, you have the best looking racer on the Wii, that could be called exclusive. Konami bag in milions, another segment is no longer empty on the Wii, everybody's happy!

enthusia-professional-racing-2.jpgEnthusia%20Professional%20Racing%20%20NAGY10.JPG

And about the wheel... I mean, third party peripheral makers have been making wheels for every single console out there... There was even a joystick released for the Gamecube, at a time when Rogue Squadron was the only flightgame for the format.

There's also the fact that you're letting you memories be changed by dust from the past. GC was and is a formidable console, but it's not like it had an excellent game of every genre within a year. Don't let time change your perception of things.

In Wii's first year here are the games I like: TP (my favourtie game ever), ET, Trauma Center, Sonic, Mario Strikes, SPM, Eledees, Wii Sports, Wii Play, Rayman, Red Steel, RE4 Wii, Gofdather, Scarface, Wario Ware and after playing TIger Woods 08 I'm quite fond of it too. I'll probably love MP3, SMG and Nights, Dewey's adventure and Zak & Wiki look great too, MoH2 seems great and in early 2008 we'll get SSBB and more. I'll be blunt, I love GC, but Wii seems to be doing a lot better. Main problem is, people are getting hindsighted because they want (and I know I use this point all the time) "epic AAA bald space marine normal mapping ultra HDR" games and it seems that the Wii 's missing out on something. News flash: every console misses out on something, you just have to choose the one you think will please you the most, but still, you gotta give it time.

I was getting my hopes up for Crusin' Wii, but as it turns out it's so ugly it would look bad on Dreamcast, I'm actually quite sure that an N64 could play it with an expansionpack! Sure, Ferrari you say, but what has been announced about the game, apart from what the PS3 version will look like?

You realise that it was one screenshot right? I bet the game will look much better when it's released everyone should know by now, Wii screenshots suck, don't make judgements based on one or few more screenshots of an alpha version of the game. About Ferrarri, so you're saying what you're interested in is the graphics? Because my friend, if you want realistic driving games Wii is not your console just like GC wasn't. You have Forza and PGR on 360 and you'll have GT5 on PS3.

I don't think there was one good game for the PS2 even every 3 months. And as far as really good games, maybe you'd get one every 5 months on PS2 if you were lucky.

The Ps2 had a far larger and more diverse library, trying to compare the two is really futile. There are so many incredible games the PS2 had that never even were all that successful, stuff like Shadow of the Colloseus and Okami.

I don't understand what you're saying anyway, do you want the Wii to have no third party games? Or are you just arguing for the sake of it. I think there are very few Nintendo fans on this forum who can live entirely off of Nintendo games.

Also on the note of realistic racers on the Wii, Need for Speed: Pro Street does look very very good on the Wii, like the sort of effort we can expert from a third party.

Well MoH:2 will kick ass. You've got a game with the best FPS controls on Wii (better than MP3), its running at 60fps AND you get 32 players online!

You also have to remember that most developers were shocked the wii sold so well, so it's going to take more than 1 year for them to get big, epic games out. It's different with ps3 and 360 because they had good estimates on what would sell well on the consoles.

I agree. People didn't expect the Wii to do what it did. Nintendo has adopted a very interesting strategy in both terms of the system itself and the marketing for the system. The hype for it only built a few weeks before it was out, and all the adverts weren't hyping it months before but were saved until the system was just moments from launch and when it was out.

The industry expected the Wii to be a niche console selling well when a major Nintendo release hit the shelves and mainly taken up by Nintendo enthusiasts and kids.

It shocked everyone with it's popularity, including me! If you look back to my first posts I was appalled by it and thought it would flop, I couldn't see people choosing the weird wand over HD graphics and massive shooters and racing games - but they did.

We're now seeing big developers like CAPCOM switch major system selling titles like MH3 to Wii as it's got the bigger user base and is still outselling all other platforms. More and more will do the same as they're businesses and want to make money.

On the other hand I know it's annoying to see racing title like MSR on the Dreamcast looking better than any serious Wii racer. I feel the frustration with the FPS games, we could have Half Life, and Doom 3 no problem the 360 did them and they don't look as sweet as Galaxy or Brawl.

It's just playing the patience game really. The titles will come, and they are coming! But you also have to accept that the Wii may well have great games that the others won't in the way that the other systems will have great games the Wii won't.

For every amazing racing game or HD FPS on the PS3 or 360 there will be a Mario, Metroid, BWii or another fantastic Nintendo release. There will also be exclusive 3rd party releases soon that will fall into that AAA category.

"Gimmicky" games are bound to exist with new control types. It happened with DS too and now it's the most amazing console out there.

Exactly, the fact that the new Dragon Quest game will be on the DS says it all.

My only gripe with the Wii (bar the lack of storage and having to delete the VC games) is really the fact that I still feel some games don;t actually benefit from motion controls. We've seen planty that do and plenty of new ideas that have come from them. Just one example of this was when I read the preview for BWii over on IGN, I just wished that I could play some stuff with my GC pad. Not everything, but some games I feel would still be better with the convential control scheme and would do well to utilise the classic controller.

You realise that it was one screenshot right? I bet the game will look much better when it's released everyone should know by now, Wii screenshots suck, don't make judgements based on one or few more screenshots of an alpha version of the game. About Ferrarri, so you're saying what you're interested in is the graphics? Because my friend, if you want realistic driving games Wii is not your console just like GC wasn't. You have Forza and PGR on 360 and you'll have GT5 on PS3.

Yeah, it was one screen. But the developers would have to make an EXTREME overhaul of the visuals to even make the game look acceptable, and the thing is that, apart from eternity projects like Duke Nukem Forever and Halo(which was shown six years before release as an RTS, then as a 3rd person shooter), no game ever goes through such an extreme overhaul. I mean, if the games visuals, and physics (the front end of a car pointing skywards... thats SO N64) are so extremely far from completion, why bother to release that single screenshot? The poster released made a lot of people interrested, but as soon as the screens appeared, the game instantly became forgotten.

About Ferrari, no, graphics aren't everything, I'm just saying that nearly everything released about the game is a bunchi of PS3 screens, making it nearly impossible to judge what the hec it is. I mean, it could be a completelly different game, or it could look like CRAP. Making games for the Wii with sub-Dreamcast graphics shouldn't be tollerated.

Since the Wii is the best selling format ATM, I'm expecting to get EVERYTHING, apart from übergraphics (err... actually I'm expecting that too, TP, MP3 and RE4 are probably the best looking games released for any format yet. Screw polynumbers, it's what my eyes see that matters).

If the Wii is wasted potential what would you call the PS3? A waste? You KNOW of the games coming, ask this again in December...Though I am sure you would not feel the need to. I see and am always aware of the Wii's potential and it is greater than the other two; the Wii can actually offer us something new!

Though if you wanted shooters - wrong console. Wh you expect there to be an outstanding amount of shooters on a Nintendo console?

Having bought a PS3 yesterday, now I am more optimistic regarding what the Wii has to offer.

I think that the ps2 is in a way limiting the Wii's potential as far as multiplatform releases go. Third party developers who are working on a Ps2 version of a game are simply basing Wii games around that as porting between the two is so easy. And as the ps2 can't get the same graphical performance as games such as Mario Galaxy and Super Smash the Wii will be stuck in this graphical pit until the ps2 dies, or third parties decide to make Wii and DS focused studios.

I dunno if the Wii is wasted potential but I don't play mine. I use it for retro games and that is it. 3rd party support might be average in europe but in Japan it is a whole lot worse. honestly over the last few months there has been nothing I want to buy for the Wii.

If it is the PS2 that is holding the Wii back then the Wii is gonna be held back for at least 2 years as PS2 won't be going away anytime soon.

Super Mario Galaxy on Nov 1st will be great though. :)

The Ps2 had a far larger and more diverse library, trying to compare the two is really futile. There are so many incredible games the PS2 had that never even were all that successful, stuff like Shadow of the Colloseus and Okami.

Yes but, what I'm saying is, some gamecube games such as Super Smash Brothers could equal maybe 20-30 amazing games since they simply lasted forever, or you had games like Wind Waker/Symphonia that seemed to be a mark above many PS2 games. 'Filler' games like Jak/Ratchet, constant football games and beat 'em ups might have padded out their games library, but I couldn't care much about them.

I don't understand what you're saying anyway, do you want the Wii to have no third party games? Or are you just arguing for the sake of it. I think there are very few Nintendo fans on this forum who can live entirely off of Nintendo games.

*smirks*. I'm wondering how on Earth anyone could have reached that conclusion. Yeh thanks, I don't want games like Tales of Symphonia and Resident Evil 4. That's not what I was saying. It was more or less the point that I'd still have bought a gamecube had it only got first party games, simply because they were that good and there were a fair few of them.

Also on the note of realistic racers on the Wii, Need for Speed: Pro Street does look very very good on the Wii, like the sort of effort we can expert from a third party.

By "looks", if you're referring to graphics then it's obviously going to be a level behind the other two consoles. Nintendo are very good at doing their 'smoothed' cartoon style graphics, which can look more pleasing to the eye. You see these in Mario Kart, Sunshine, (Galaxy screens), SSBM etc. I only really like the Mario Kart Racers out of pretty much all their is out there.

I think your problem is that you're expecting a 360 from a Wii.

Bugger off.

I think people shouldn't be so picky when it comes to genres, play most of them; they're mostly all good.

YOURE NOT LISTENING TO WHAT IM SAYING!

I'm saying that PS2 games are OK, as long as the PS2 versions are OK in the first place. I mean, Black and Enthusia have BOTH been released for the PS2, and they still look loads better than most Wii games.

Am I stupid for expecting shooters from a Nintendo console? Errr... Ever heard of the Nintendo 64 (one genration older than the Gamecube), which had a buckload of great shooters (Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, the Turok games), plus a whole bunch of exclusive, but mediocre ones (armorines, diakatana). The Wii has a controller which makes the console the ultimate machine for shooters.

Realistic racers have allways been lacking on Nintendo consoles (allthough developers at least TRIED on the N64 with the likes of GT64, Top Gear Rally and some other game I don't remember).

Since the Wii has been the best selling console since its release, and Nintendo want to reach out to all audiences, it's not so strange to expect games in these genres.

You're saying that I should buy one of the other consoles, then I tell you the following: NO WAY, I've felt what an FPS plays like with the Wiimote, going back to dual analogue sticks is like going from Microsoft Word to carving text into rocks with another rock. The same goes for racers, NFS Carbon is the first racer where I don't run in to stuff all the time, basically the controller has changed the way I play those genres.

My only gripe with the Wii (bar the lack of storage and having to delete the VC games) is really the fact that I still feel some games don;t actually benefit from motion controls. We've seen planty that do and plenty of new ideas that have come from them. Just one example of this was when I read the preview for BWii over on IGN, I just wished that I could play some stuff with my GC pad. Not everything, but some games I feel would still be better with the convential control scheme and would do well to utilise the classic controller.

I can appreciate the bolded part of what you have said...I feel so far that the Wii has apart from Wii Sports....proven itself to be far more effective as an IR control interface than motion sensoring...think Metroid 3, Elebits etc...

Realistic racers have allways been lacking on Nintendo consoles (allthough developers at least TRIED on the N64 with the likes of GT64, Top Gear Rally and some other game I don't remember).

It's funny that one of the examples you give has a sequel on the Wii. Need for Speed is partly realistic (the next one looks like a realistic racer from the trailers) and there's Ferrari Challenge and the Indiapolis 500 (or whatever it's called). So that's 4 (or 5, depending on if you count Carbon) "realistic" racers on the Wii within a year. Better than the last two consoles, IIRC.

Excitetruck DOES NOT beat the crap out of Motorstorm. You can't compare the two. :indeed:

Motorstorm is a fantastic realistic racer, with outstanding graphics, a great online mode and brilliant smash-ups.

Excitetruck is a pick up and play, fun, fast racer which is unrealistic but all age groups can play.

Anyway onto the question 'Is Wii wasted potential?', at the moment? No.

I can appreciate the bolded part of what you have said...I feel so far that the Wii has apart from Wii Sports....proven itself to be far more effective as an IR control interface than motion sensoring...think Metroid 3, Elebits etc...

Well IR is as important than motion sensing and they're used together. Tiger Woods and Madden 08 use the motion sensing very well though. Excite Truck could be done without, but it would be half as fun and Wario Ware has awesome motion sensing things. Motion sensing only through gryoscopes and accelerometers is more limited than most people think.

Excitetruck DOES NOT beat the crap out of Motorstorm. You can't compare the two. :indeed:

Motorstorm is a fantastic realistic racer, with outstanding graphics, a great online mode and brilliant smash-ups.

From what I played, I hated the game. The controls suck, it's not fun and the graphics, good as they may be technically are boring. Online might be cool though.

Excitetruck is a pick up and play, fun, fast racer which is unrealistic but all age groups can play.

A young gamer wouldn't get very far in Excite Truck. It looks lovely, too. It's one of my favourite racing games ever.

Online might be cool though.

If the you don't like the game, why would you like online???

A young gamer wouldn't get very far in Excite Truck. It looks lovely, too. It's one of my favourite racing games ever.

They can play it though can't they? That was the point of the Wii for all age groups to be able to play most of the games, i'm guessing most kids can move a control in a steering motion?

Secondly everyones allowed there opinion on Motorstorm, but depending on how long you've played it for, i would stick at it. I hated the controls at first but once you understand them, and use boost to help you get round corners etc..it clicks and is excellent.

Everyone wanted Excitetruck online, Motorstorm has something similar to it, whats not to like?!

Anyway onto the question 'Is Wii wasted potential?', at the moment? No.

I've played them both, and I can see lots of similarities. Both take you offroad with cars, and in both you keep jumping off absurd jumps, and you have a little thing called boost which makes your vehicle explode if you overdoo it. Motorstorm is tecnically more advanced, and it has online, sure. However, the graphics are overrated, as many of the rocks in the surroundings still are blocky, something that you as a matter of fact never notice in ET. The physics are TERRIBLE om MS. Sometimes the trucks run right over huge friggin rocks, sometimes the vehicle "crashes" into invisible friggin objects. For such an expensive console, the game loads for ages. It takes a minute to load each car in the vehicle selection menu. Nearly all game development students are taking a crack at that game, since it's so full of flaws. I mean, it doesent even support two player splitscreen.

MS is a really expensive techdemo, while ET is an extremely fun game.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!