NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
EEVILMURRAY

Legalise ALL drugs?!

In the words of Piccolo: "Can you believe that shit?"

Controversial police chief Richard Brunstrom has called for the legalisation and regulation of all drugs in a new report.

(Advertisement)

Mr Brunstrom, the chief constable of North Wales, described the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 as "not fit for purpose" and "immoral" and urged its repeal.

Mr Brunstrom, in a report to North Wales police authority, described the current UK drugs strategy as "unwinnable".

He said: "The Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 should be repealed and replaced by a new Substance Misuse Act based upon the legalisation and careful regulation of all substances of abuse in one consistent manner."

Mr Brunstrom urged his authority to support the stance in its response to the Government's Drugs: Our Community, Your Say consultation paper.

In a 30-page document - Drugs Policy, A Radical Look Ahead - Mr Brunstrom said: "UK drugs policy for the last several decades has been based upon prohibition with a list of banned substances placed into three classes - the ABC system - and draconian criminal penalties for the possession or supply of controlled drugs.

"This system has not worked well. Illegal drugs are now in plentiful supply, and have become consistently cheaper in real terms over the years.

"The number of users has increased dramatically. Drug crime has soared equally dramatically as a direct consequence of the illegality of some drugs and the huge profits from illegal trading have supported a massive rise in organised criminality.

"Most importantly, the current system illogically excludes both alcohol and tobacco.

"A new classification system, a 'hierarchy of harm' encompassing all substances of abuse and based upon identified social harms, should, in my opinion, be at the centre of a new substance misuse regime - one based upon evidence, not moralistic dogma."

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/pressass/20071011/tuk-legalise-all-drugs-police-chief-6323e80_2.html

<.<...>.>...

...The Bible says something amongst the lines of "man shall use thy herb of thee Earth"...Therefore, weed amongst others, is a natural phenomenon which should be used as we do any other plant.

(I use the bible since most of you follow it word for word).

Mr Brunstrom was later seen walking out of his office, sleeves still rolled up from his previous heroin injections.

Yeah, make drugs legal, thats what this society really needs...

Drugs wont ever be "Legal" just as alcohol isnt, its a controlled substance. Heroin should go through this process as its much more beneficial to junkies and are more likely to quit, there is some country in Europe like denmark or somewhere like that that has a system like that and it works. Cannabis should have a system like Amsterdam, if you do glamorize it and anyone can do it it becomes less appealing.

Mr Brunstrom was later seen walking out of his office, sleeves still rolled up from his previous heroin injections.

Yeah, make drugs legal, thats what this society really needs...

it needs something, its easier to get pills and coke than it is to get weed round here. Thats fucked up.

That is quite fucked up.

Shetland of all places is really fucked up. Most kids go out at the weekends and get drugged to fuck as well as getting completely pissed out of their faces.

What kind of society do we live in where people think its some how amazingly cool to do this kind of thing? Heavy drug abuse is a serious issue that no one seems to want to want to sort.

with legalisation comes raised awareness of the effects, both positive and negative, and controlled production meaning less harmful rubbish would be mixed in with the substances.

A large percentage of theft and violence crime is to do with drugs in one way or another - trafficking, gang disputes, or just stealing to pay for an addiction. Making part of the cycle 'overground' would reduce the anonymity around who could be doing the crimes.

People seeking help would not feel like outcasts, and would be more likely to admit they have a problem.

It's not a black and white situation. Drugs can be fun, and recreational use is harmless in general - it's vandalism and social disorder, like alcohol, that cause the main problems that actually effect most people in society. I like the idea of a new heirarchy including all substances, rating them probably in terms of self- and social-harm. Legalisation would mean research into what the drugs do physically and mentally would be carried out, and everyone would learn about them more.

We already know that many drugs have medicinal use, traditionally painkillers, and I think it's narrow minded to not see them as having any positive aspects.

The fact is there will be problems surrounding drugs whether they're legal or not. From a government's POV, legalisation would be better control, more 'big-brother'-esque information on individuals, and more tax profits! For a drug user's POV, the drugs would be cleaner, eventually less taboo (as they already are in the circles of society that use them) and help would be more readily available. Society's POV would mean safer streets, an increase in knowledge (which is always a good thing).

The only problem that comes with legalisation is, like smoking and drinking, people are worried that more people will take it up or give it a go. Statistics already show that the numbers go up, and the age where people try these things is going down. Of course there would be problems surrounding this stuff, i can imagine the first uproar when schools begin their Drugs education classes will be louder than the first sex ed ones, but I can also imagine us, as human beings, being able to realise that we think drugs are bad because we've always been told it's that way.

They shouldn't be seen to be as evil as they are being portrayed. A lot of drugs are natural, and there are benefits as well as dangers in everything natural - the weather, animals, plants, whatever.

You are always the one with the choice - to take drugs or not; to tell your kids about sex before they're 16 or not; to study french or not; to join the army, whatever.

People who are going to take drugs will do it if it's legalised or not.

It does has it´s pros and cons

But it´s mostly about putting it in a safer environment

<.<...>.>...

...The Bible says something amongst the lines of "man shall use thy herb of thee Earth"...Therefore, weed amongst others, is a natural phenomenon which should be used as we do any other plant.

I've heard this before, but surely it could just be referring to oregano?

Shetland of all places is really fucked up. Most kids go out at the weekends and get drugged to fuck as well as getting completely pissed out of their faces.

I think that's probably down to there (probably) not being much in the way of things to do for youug people in Shetland?

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that when Holland 'legalised' (in specific areas) weed, after an initial peak, drug use actually went down from when it was illegal.

I've heard this before, but surely it could just be referring to oregano?

Weed is a weed, created by 'God' himself. It wasn't outlawed, which is the point.

Not as wacky as people think, would do a hell of a lot to reduce burglery, deaths from drug abuse, muggings and would absolutely bankrupt many heads of the criminal underworld.

<.<...>.>...

You obviously haven't been on this forum long enough to know that you can't get away with using a religious justification... :nono:

Fortunately for you I'm busy...

Back on topic: drugs are illegal for a reason. This country would not see a drop in the number of users if they decriminalised it, I feel.

However, we have to be careful not to go too far in the criminalisation direction, and end up like the USA. Roughly half, if not more, of the US prison population are in for (normally minor) drug offences, and in most states they carry no possibility of parole. This leads to dangerous criminals having to be released early to create spaces. It's a truly broken system.

Oh, and Newt Grinch is a complete and utter dick, and he's got a fucking stupid name. :blank:

I think that's probably down to there (probably) not being much in the way of things to do for young people in Shetland?

Thats exactly the problem. There isnt even a cinema up here.

also, fun fact:

Shetland is one of 2 places in Scotland where people inject alcohol directly into their veins because theyre so addicted.

I think it is time to make hard drugs legally obtainable. The argument that more people will take them is bull shit, i can walk out my front door right now and within half an hour have what ever narcotic takes my fancy. How can legalisation make drugs any more obtainable than that?

So, if it can't make availability any better/worse then what will legalisation do? It will allow the government to monitor the flow of drugs, generate revenue (through tax) and remove the biggest money supply to the criminal underworld.

Unfortunately it's unlikely to happen, imagine the fuss the media would make if Gordon Brown announced such a policy?

You obviously haven't been on this forum long enough to know that you can't get away with using a religious justification... :nono:

Fortunately for you I'm busy...

Back on topic: drugs are illegal for a reason. This country would not see a drop in the number of users if they decriminalised it, I feel.

However, we have to be careful not to go too far in the criminalisation direction, and end up like the USA. Roughly half, if not more, of the US prison population are in for (normally minor) drug offences, and in most states they carry no possibility of parole. This leads to dangerous criminals having to be released early to create spaces. It's a truly broken system.

Oh, and Newt Grinch is a complete and utter dick, and he's got a fucking stupid name. :blank:

Fortunatly for him if you try and dictate what can and cant be said in this forum im gonna back him up all the way christian or not.

On that point is that just a theological argument you were making about weed? Or does it relate to an actual bible quote? Im guessing theological as if there was a section on the bible about this im pretty sure most people would have heard it a million times?

Hmm for this topic im unsure my intial reaction would be a no to be honest as it legitimises drug use which is a bad message. But I can understand the pro arguments.

i dont see why weed aint legal, and why you can go to prison for it. Sure if your driving while high, but that goes without saying. Its a sham that people cna get drunk legally but i cant get high legally, whats the big difference? both are self inflicted, and both dont affect other people around me, (but some knobs can be a **** when theyre drunk).

Ah well, ONE DAY! :)

Agreed Skunky, still amazes me to this day that it used to be a Class B drug, haha.

It would save the country 8 billion on drug-prevention.

The government could tax it all to high heaven.

Clubs would make so much more money and would only have to sell pills and water. (bottled water, glasses are drinker to dance with)

Read 'High Society' by Ben Elton. It's about an MP who wants to legalise all drugs and gives you a lot of pros and cons for it...

Pros:

-The Government could tax them really heavily and make loads of money from them.

-They would all be 'high quality' meaning you wouldn't get drugs which are even dodgier than normal.

-Crime Lords who make a living importing drugs would be out of business as they would be easily obtainable.

-There would be safe places to shoot up.

I personally don't approve of drug use (whatever it may be, heroine, cocaine, etc) as it can cause a lot of problems if the user gets addicted as well as problems it causes in general. Also, for the ones that are smoked, again, it's not fair on those around others to inhale. So I personally think all drugs of said nature should be banned.

Legalizing all drugs is stupid, but there's nothing wrong with drugs that don't bring immediate health dangers. Drug use is under average throughout the entire Netherlands because of this, with the exception of Amsterdam of course.

Sign in to follow this