N-Europe

worrying statistic

UK

100% agree. Smokers who smoke around non-smokers are being very selfish. They want to slowly kill themselves, fine, but doing ti to other people is not.

Woo, blanket statements FTW!

Yes, because when I ask my mates who don't smoke if they wanna come with me while I have a fag, I'm definitely forcing them to come giving them no choice in the matter whatsoever :V

(yes, it's a stupid arguement, sue me :P)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woo, blanket statements FTW!

Yes, because when I ask my mates who don't smoke if they wanna come with me while I have a fag, I'm definitely forcing them to come giving them no choice in the matter whatsoever :V

(yes, it's a stupid arguement, sue me :P)

Yes, if the non-smoker is fine with it, thats fine, of course. Apologies for not making myself clear.

And yes they've been doing it for hundreds of years, but they didn't know about its consequences back then, people just died of something.

I have to second this. I understand if someone started smoking decades ago when no one knew the associated problems and now it can't leave it because it's addictive to the organism.

But who started smoking since they started printing "SMOKE KILLS" in the packs must have a suicide tendency.

19% of teenagers smoke.

I'm not in that figure, but thats tons. I couldn't smoke, being the athlete I am.

But you know what they say- young habits die hard

or something

I wouldn't call that 'worrying'. What I find worrying is the amount of teenagers being killed by teenagers. Kids practically rule the streets now.

^ that would be me,then...

Smoking doesn't guarentee smoke-related death. Sure, it's loads more likely than never smoking in the first place, but it's not your choice to make.

are people stupid if they don't eat 5 fruit/veg a day? if they have more than their RDA of saturated fat, or salt? If they sleep less than 4 hours a night, or more than 7? If they sit with their laptops on their laps, stand in front of microwaves, talk on their mobiles a lot?

What about doing things that stop them from doing other, better things? Like playing computer games instead of studying? Going out for a drink instead of doing press-ups?

The fact is, we all do something, small or not, that isn't good for us, or isn't the best we could do for ourselves.

The main problem non-smokers have is how it affects their OWN health, and that isn't something you can blame every single smoker for, considering I've probably only blown smoke into the face of one (maybe two) forumers here (:P). You've got your pubs, train stations and restaurants now. Be fucking grateful. Passive smoking really isn't that harmful outside amongst the toxins from the cars you drive and fuel you burn. You're all, what, over 15 right? that's 15 years of living in the same world as smokers. You're all doing fine, right? No hospital visits for smoke inhalation? Good. Quit complaining about things that aren't even happening. Complain about teh bad things smokers have done to you, but don't intone that we're all the same.

^ that would be me,then...

Smoking doesn't guarentee smoke-related death. Sure, it's loads more likely than never smoking in the first place, but it's not your choice to make.

are people stupid if they don't eat 5 fruit/veg a day? if they have more than their RDA of saturated fat, or salt? If they sleep less than 4 hours a night, or more than 7? If they sit with their laptops on their laps, stand in front of microwaves, talk on their mobiles a lot?

What about doing things that stop them from doing other, better things? Like playing computer games instead of studying? Going out for a drink instead of doing press-ups?

The fact is, we all do something, small or not, that isn't good for us, or isn't the best we could do for ourselves.

The main problem non-smokers have is how it affects their OWN health, and that isn't something you can blame every single smoker for, considering I've probably only blown smoke into the face of one (maybe two) forumers here (:P). You've got your pubs, train stations and restaurants now. Be fucking grateful. Passive smoking really isn't that harmful outside amongst the toxins from the cars you drive and fuel you burn. You're all, what, over 15 right? that's 15 years of living in the same world as smokers. You're all doing fine, right? No hospital visits for smoke inhalation? Good. Quit complaining about things that aren't even happening. Complain about teh bad things smokers have done to you, but don't intone that we're all the same.

Hear, motherfucking, hear. (I honestly don't know if thats the right spelling)

I've actually had people tell me I'm polluting the atmosphere. I laughed since I'm sure a cow probably produces more harmful gases than me.

vvvv Thanksies.

are people stupid if they don't eat 5 fruit/veg a day? if they have more than their RDA of saturated fat, or salt? If they sleep less than 4 hours a night, or more than 7?

The thing is, all of those things are generally misunderstood, as they are all based on normal curves and designed to cater for 90% of the population. The problem with this method is that 90% of people do not need 5 portions of fruit and veg a day, and similarly RDA's are only roughly quoted and many people would be fine having more than the RDA. This is thanks to government manipulation of statistics to confuse people for the purposes of propaganda.

However, when it comes to smoking, anyone who does it is statistically more likely to die earlier. However, this doesn't mean it'll defintely kill everyone who smokes, and you also have a point - there are other equivalents which are considered more socially acceptable.

Here, motherfucking, here. (I honestly don't know if thats the right spelling)

('tis "hear, hear")

That's one huge ass excuse. You're comparing lazyness with stupidity. I honestly don't care about my health as a passive smoker (some do, others hate the smell), I just think its a lot more counter productive to smoke than not running the marathon. How much do you spend on this habit?

That's one huge ass excuse. You're comparing lazyness with stupidity. I honestly don't care about my health as a passive smoker (some do, others hate the smell), I just think its a lot more counter productive to smoke than not running the marathon. How much do you spend on this habit?

I spend about £5 a week on tobacco. Why? Should I save up for running shoes instead?

yeah I buy tobacco and roll my own for the very purpose of saving money. £5 gets me, I would say, between 85-100 cigarettes worth of tobacco (i buy the cheapest tobacco which is Gold Leaf at the moment, and the cheapest cider which is White Strike £2.09 for 2 litres :P).

It amazes me that more smokers don't just roll. It's nice to have a proper cigarette every now and then for laziness sake, but it's so much cheaper and rewarding when you have to roll it yourself! Except when you don['t have anything to use as roach, as I don't right now. I blame my ex-girlfriend :(.

Personally I think people who smoke more than 20-25 a day are idiots. It's too much for addiction's sake rather than enjoyment if you need more than that.

I like to smoke after I've eaten, when I'm getting drunk and recently thanks to having watched a hell of a lot of tv series on my laptop in bed, during opening credits :)

YOU WORK AT A CIDER FACTORY! ... Awesome! Tell me more, NOW!

... And White Lightening is actually a fairly up-market white cider, White Strike is a good cheap 7.5% - Not as good as Frosty Jack's of course, but I can't find that up here.

I do like real cider :P Just can't really afford it at the moment...

Japanese and French people generally smoke alot and live longer than British people, just thought i would point that out to antagonise the situation...

So you're saying smoking doesn't harm you? :heh: ( I know your not saying that, but I felt like antagonising the situation too:p ) They have a higher life expectancy because they are in general healthier countries. We have one of the highest rates of obesity in the world, whereas a place like japan is one of the lowest.