NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
McPhee

Halo 3 Plot Discussion (Spoilers)

I figured this would be better in another thread, then we can talk about the plot without spoiling it for anyone. Assume here that everyone has completed the game through and seen the Legendary ending.

Im a little confused about the ending after the cutscene. How come the Arbiter make it through the portal back to earth and Master Chief and Cortana didn't?

He probably came back but I guessed he wanted to fake his death to do his own thing because the Arbeter says something like "If only it was that easy." which he says at the beginning, in one of the first cutscenes, when Master Chief sees him for the first time hand goes for him. MC probably goes to find out what happened to the Forerunners since he is one.

I haven't seen the full ending yet so I might be wrong....

Im a little confused about the ending after the cutscene. How come the Arbiter make it through the portal back to earth and Master Chief and Cortana didn't?

The ship was split in 2. The Arbiter was at the front piloting it while Master Chief and Cortana were at the back in the hanger area.

MC probably goes to find out what happened to the Forerunners since he is one.

As far as I know Chief is just human he is just modified genetically, his armour may be Forerunner technology though.

As far as I know Chief is just human he is just modified genetically, his armour may be Forerunner technology though.

But I thought during the fight with that spark robot thing he keeps saying how the ring was their legacy for MC to protect but he didn't deserve it...

But I thought during the fight with that spark robot thing he keeps saying how the ring was their legacy for MC to protect but he didn't deserve it...

Yeah he does call him Forerunner but like I said I think its due to his armour. Master Chief was born and raised as a normal kid on a planet until the UNSC took him and aload of others to be trained as Spartans.

Yeah he does call him Forerunner but like I said I think its due to his armour. Master Chief was born and raised as a normal kid on a planet until the UNSC took him and aload of others to be trained as Spartans.

Oh right....I prefer my version. :heh:

The ship was split in 2. The Arbiter was at the front piloting it while Master Chief and Cortana were at the back in the hanger area.44

But Cortana says the portal cut the ship in 2 when it closed (unless im remembering it wrong). If that happened then only half could have made it through

But Cortana says the portal cut the ship in 2 when it closed (unless im remembering it wrong). If that happened then only half could have made it through

That's what I thought I heard.

If the portal collapsed and the ship split in two then the other half of the ship the MC was in must have taken a beating and still be where the Ark was.

Then he decides to go into a cryo chamber? Leave Cortana with no-one to talk to. ..

Cortana's a boring bitch anyway, i'd rather take a quick freeze than sit and listen to her.

That's what I thought I heard.

If the portal collapsed and the ship split in two then the other half of the ship the MC was in must have taken a beating and still be where the Ark was.

Then he decides to go into a cryo chamber? Leave Cortana with no-one to talk to. ..

Yeah but if they didnt make it out of the portal though then surely they would be dead due to Halo firing.

I don't think he's dead, too crappy a way to end the Master Chief :heh:. I keep thinking there might've been something after the credits but accidentally skipped them.

I'm pretty damn sure that humans are forerunner. Think about it, the Monitor called Commander Keyes a reclaimer as well as the Chief, and she doesn't have the Mjolnir suit. There are hundreds of other signs throughout the previous two games which I don't wanna go into, but trust me, humans=forerunners.

I don't think he's dead, too crappy a way to end the Master Chief :heh:. I keep thinking there might've been something after the credits but accidentally skipped them.

Erm theres about an extra 3 minutes after the credits, you probably want to look for it on youtube.

Yeah I did that too Shorty, the message from Bungie stays up just long enough that you press A to go past it just as it starts fading out and you realise, damn, shouldn't have done that :p

Ah redid the last level to watch the cinematic after the credits (might've been a quicker way but I felt like doing it again anyway :heh:) - very cool!

Where does the diorama advert fit into Halo 3??

It doesn't.

The advertisers knew nothing about the story of Halo 3, so they had to some how find a story for the adverts.

One thing i wondered... At the end, is that on Earth? With the Halo's destroyed, Truth killed and the other prophets seemingly missing what will become of the Covernant? The grunts, drones and jackyll's need command from a higher life form (Elite or Brute) and the Arbiter seems to have gone back home to where ever he came from.

Hopefully the humans will recolonise Reach (if its even in existance anymore after its demise shortly before Halo 1).

Hopefully the humans will recolonise Reach (if its even in existance anymore after its demise shortly before Halo 1).

Reach is still there just 2/3 of it have been glassed. The covenant didnt glass it all as there was Forerunner technology on the planet that they were after. Some Spartans ( some of MCs unit ) managed to stop them and they ended up in some portal world at the end of the book.

So do we think there's going to be a Halo 4?

I know Bungie said it would be a trilogy, but when they said that I don't think they knew just how popular it would be.

Maybe MC will crash into another planet inhabited by humans and will face loads of new enemies.

Or a prequel?

The Chief and Cortana made it into the portal, they just didn't make it to the other side. Presumably it collapsed when the front of the Dawn, where the Arbiter was, had emerged from the portal above New Mombasa. When it collapsed the ship got guillotined and the Chief's half got kicked back into normal space somewhere between the Ark and Earth.

And Saminthehat is correct, humans are at least some relation of the Forerunners: they are the only ones able to activate the rings, for instance.

I'm sure there will be another game in the Halo universe, but it most likely wouldn't revolve around the ringworlds or the Flood. Enough is concluded to be a satisfactory ending, but then again things are open enough to grant Bungie a lot of leeway story wise — the extra snippet the player gets for finishing the game on Legendary being a prime example.

At any rate I'm positive we will see some kind of continuation for the narrative, whether it be in the form of a book, a movie, or perhaps Peter Jackson's episodic Halo project that was spoken about ages ago.

Yeah, i read a interview with Bungie a few days ago and they said "Were definitely not going to say there won't be another Halo game, after all we have graphic novels and the movie from Peter Jackson on the way".

am I right in thinking that The Flood are now trapped permanently outside the galaxy? I think I'm right in saying that the Gravemind was killed by the Halo pulse (he's sentient, and the pulse kills anything that can think) so the rest of the parasites will be trapped and eventually starve to death.

one thing I'm confused about though is, on the first two games, why are the flood even on a Halo? shouldn't they be dead?

it's not too complex. Basically, the Flood don't just kill their hosts- they absorb their minds.

once the flood absorb enough sentience, they develop a type of flood form called Gravemind that becomes intelligent because of the amassed memories from all the hosts. Once this happens, they stop being dumb zombies and start spreading out with a purpose. They start doing stuff like capturing ships and heading through space to other planets.

I think that in Halo: CE, Captain Keyes' flood form was the beginnings of a Gravemind, as he was hooked up to the bridge of Truth and Reconciliation when the Flood were trying to escape Halo.

Sign in to follow this