N-Europe

Ebay accidently unveils new DS... Media Mistakes and Gaming...

dannbrownn

NINTENDODS.jpg

That DS almost looks like a step back in technology!

Anyway i saw that on ebays home page the other day and it got me thinking about all the junk that various media reports incorrectly, local newspapers seem to be the worst for it, i remember once hearing of a paper reporting on games saying how the Wii was just an update of the Revolution which was only available in Japan!

Anyway, i will come back here later when i have more time!

Just wandered if anyone else had ever come accross mistakes in reporting etc, some of these articles can be pretty incredible in showing how little the writer knows about the subject.

The whole PGR3 used to promote the PS3 thing comes to mind!! Its not reporting, it worse...

pgr3_gthd_mixup.jpg

Know what that's a picture of? Somone getting fired.

Apparently, someone over at the Sony Connect Web site, which features "downloads powered by Sony", doesn't know what the company's flagship driving game looks like. They mistakenly used a screengrab from their competitor Microsoft's Project Gotham Racing 3 to promote Gran Turismo HD Concept. Whoops.

Fortunately, someone got access to the PlayStation press site and updated the image before anyone noticed. I mean...

And then a couple months later...

pgrdohsecond.jpg

Remember when Xbox 360 game PGR3 was used to promote PS3 title Gran Turismo? Boy, that was embarrassing! Hate to have something like that happen again. And somebody to get in trouble, too? Horrible. Thank car manufacturer Kia, because it has happened again. The automobile company's Spanish website is running a promotion the compares driving a Kia to driving a Ferrari Enzo on the PS3. (Ha!) Thing is, the license plate clearly says PGR on it — That's an exclusive Xbox 360 game, published by Microsoft even. When will they ever learn? Not before somebody can pull a hat trick, I hope!

A hat trick you say!?!

pgrhattrickyellow.jpg

You must be joking. Just last Thursday, we posted the second time Xbox 360 exclusive Project Gotham Racing 3 was used in a PS3 promotion. What's more, we hoped that someone was dumb enough to do it again. Someone was! Dutch magazine Mediamarkt is using the Microsoft published PGR3 in a PS3 article. (Below is the sourced PGR3.) This incessant Project Gotham Racing—PS3 crossover is starting to creep me out. What is it about this game and this console?!

It was pretty funny! :heh:

The best I can remember are portuguese media mistakes.

When GTA: Vice City came out and certain members of the media started to claim the game was extremely violent and whatnot, a portuguese channel did the same thing.

Of course, it didn't help matters that they had barely done any research to the point that the reporter kept calling it City Vice. I don't think she even knew GTA was part of the title, too.

Another case of lack of research, this time from a gaming magazine. Around the time of E3 2006, MaxiConsolas (the same mag that first revealed NiGHTS) obviously dedicated one or two paragraphs to every game announced at E3.

In the description of Super Smash Bros. Brawl the comments were something along the lines of:

"New characters like Wario and Meta Knight are a welcome addition, but Nintendo seems to be running out of characters. After all, the newcomer Pit is a character exclusively made for this game."

All they had to do was look at the trophies in melee...

The best I can remember are portuguese media mistakes.

When GTA: Vice City came out and certain members of the media started to claim the game was extremely violent and whatnot, a portuguese channel did the same thing.

Of course, it didn't help matters that they had barely done any research to the point that the reporter kept calling it City Vice. I don't think she even knew GTA was part of the title, too.

Another case of lack of research, this time from a gaming magazine. Around the time of E3 2006, MaxiConsolas (the same mag that first revealed NiGHTS) obviously dedicated one or two paragraphs to every game announced at E3.

In the description of Super Smash Bros. Brawl the comments were something along the lines of:

"New characters like Wario and Meta Knight are a welcome addition, but Nintendo seems to be running out of characters. After all, the newcomer Pit is a character exclusively made for this game."

All they had to do was look at the trophies in melee...

Brilliant, i am glad that other countries have got dodgy media and that the BBC is not alone in their poor quality reports, i just wish i could remember more examples!