NEurope
pedrocasilva

Factor 5 on the Wii?

Well, I don't think that's entirely true. If everyone's comments on here were confined to games they've actually played we wouldn't have much discussion.

If it was a game where opinion was split between two large groups, one saying it was good and one saying the opposite that would be another matter, however from reading reivews and impressions of this it's fair to say it's crap.

Well, just because lots of magazines say it's rubbish, it doesn't actually mean it is. It could just be a love or hate game, seeing as a quite a few people on n-europe seem to enjoy it from what I've read.

I'm just saying you can't say outright the game is rubbish, intill you've actually played it yourself.

boys boys let's not fight about this.. There are some games that you can just accept is crap... So we really need to play big rigs to know it was crap or superman 64? Nope We don't. Even watching them is shit.

Factor 5 now have this to say about Wii:

"If you connect you can get a lot of shader effects which would've been on the 360 or the PS3...it's got so much more power compared to the GameCube. If even with the extremely similar shader hardware, the system clockrate is so much higher, you can do so much more advanced things.

When asked why don't games have better graphics he replied:"Hmmm I don't know, the hardware is very, very easy to understand. Now the problem might be -and it just might be- is that some studios -or some publishers specifically- are discarding the graphical capabilities automatically simply because it is a Wii title and they're basically telling the developers "look, we won't pay for any advanced graphics.""

It seems they're really regretting their decision to go to SONY, I hope Nintendo snatch them back image how good it would be to have another Rogue Squadron game.

As for Lair, well after the critical thrashing it's taken I doubt sales will be that hot, personally I hope Factor 5 do come back.

Factor 5 has always been a third party Zechs, they just happened to decide to develop for Nintendo for a while, probably because they took part in the development of the Cube graphics and sound chips (and therefore knowing all the hardware's secrets). The PS3 was a more logical choice for a game like Lair, and they did well in developing for that, but they probably shouldn't have committed themselves to Sony that much as Lair is a rushed game.

Anyway, I really hope they come back to the Wii. If one third party could be able to get Mario Galaxy grade visuals, it's Factor 5.

Factor 5 has always been a third party Zechs, they just happened to decide to develop for Nintendo for a while, probably because they took part in the development of the Cube graphics and sound chips (and therefore knowing all the hardware's secrets). The PS3 was a more logical choice for a game like Lair, and they did well in developing for that, but they probably shouldn't have committed themselves to Sony that much as Lair is a rushed game.

Anyway, I really hope they come back to the Wii. If one third party could be able to get Mario Galaxy grade visuals, it's Factor 5.

Well, I think th eproblem with Lair was the fact that SONY will have given them a huge lump sum to stick in SIXAXIS controls, and that clearly hasn't paid off.

Now they're saying they can get great graphics out of the Wii, I think they'll come back on board, after all, the money is with the Wii. Imagine Lair on Wii, it might have worked better as the motion controls on the Wii are much better.

*MEGA BUMP*

Someone at NeoGAF posted a short video which was, allegedly, part of a tech demo that Factor 5 made to showcase their engine.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1CD4038P

Not much to see, but their dynamic light scattering implementation looks nice.

Cassamassina posted on IGN boards an email he got from inside sources, he was told that Factor 5 closed doors recently... Let's hope not.

wow that's one hell of a bump....

well i guess we may as well use this to discuss factor 5?

isn't this sort of thing amusing seen as they wouln't support the wii for a long time and now it's probably too late.. i'm not one to laugh at people's misfortunes but they SHOULD have supported the wii from the beginning because thy had plenty of experience with the gamecube hardware and wii games are cheaper to produce....

after all their petty trash about devs being lazy... ha

I don't think they made a mistake in supporting PS3, Sony offered them alot of money and helped with the developement of Lairs alot - they probably weren't bothered with the Wii which could be their downfall but when Sony offer them money and royalties they'll take it.

Lair flopping won't have helped but they've run into their financial troubles due to the recession - and the fact that they can't output more then 1 or 2 games a year - if that. With no source of revenue whatsoever they're going to run into financial problems, just like Free Radical.

Shame if they do go though, I'd imagine they'll be picked up by a big developer, I doubt they wanted that though.

It was a mistake, that's pretty much undeniable, the investment required to make PS3/360 games and the fact that they need to sell millions so make any profit isn't being very good for a lot of devs, even with the backing of big publishers. And what you say about outputting few games each year is made even worse on 360/PS3 and since dev times are bigger than before, the time developers operate without any income is even bigger, so with banks offering less and less loans, even with publisher backing it's still very hard.

That's not to say its certain developing for PS3 was the only cause or even the main cause the same could have happened developing for 360, Wii, DS, etc...

Don't know if Sony helped with the development though, never heard about it. They published it and tried to nudge the reviewers by sending a "Lair's Reviewers Guide" to critics though. Which is hilarious.

Also don't see how Wii would be their downfall. Still, pinning the blame on just one thing is wrong, specially without numbers and hard data.

What I can't for the life of me figure is how most companies made such ridiculously bad managment, anyone with half a brain figured out that the increase in development costs and time couldn't be taken lightly or stuff like this would happen.

thats impressive, if brief.

If any company was going to push Wii, it would be Factor 5- and Nintendo would do right by remembering that (and providing some sort of rescue package). Someone, somewhere will be purchasing their assets- and if there is any sense within Nintendo- who incidently have few development teams in the West- they should be snapping up as much of the company as they can (if not, buying it outright).

Although, lets be honest, there is little in the way of hard facts at the moment.

Yeah Nintendo really could use more western teams.

Lol, I'm not sure if thats sarcasm or not, but I think Mr. Dakota makes a good point and it would be a good idea if Nintendo were able to step in while Factor 5 are in this weakened state.

Lol, I'm not sure if thats sarcasm or not, but I think Mr. Dakota makes a good point and it would be a good idea if Nintendo were able to step in while Factor 5 are in this weakened state.

How low your opinion of me must be if you think that was sarcasm.

It would be great if Nintendo bought Factor 5. It would be one more developer to show people that Wii isn't just about casual games.

Off the top of my head the only western dev that Nintendo has is Retro, I think there are more I just can't think of them. So Factor-5 would be an excellent investment, one flop does not make a team bad. Besides I've heard the occasionally good thing about Lair.

I also think that Factor-5 could put The Conduit to shame if they wanted too. Rouge Squadron II was a launch title and is still one of the best looking games of Last Gen, which is kinda rare really.

Off the top of my head the only western dev that Nintendo has is Retro, I think there are more I just can't think of them. So Factor-5 would be an excellent investment, one flop does not make a team bad. Besides I've heard the occasionally good thing about Lair.

I also think that Factor-5 could put The Conduit to shame if they wanted too. Rouge Squadron II was a launch title and is still one of the best looking games of Last Gen, which is kinda rare really.

NOA has an internal team, but I think the only title they've ever put out was Metroid Prime Hunters. There's probably a few smaller second parties though.

I would love Nintendo to buy Factor 5!! Mission 1, finish Kid Icarus, Mission 2, Make Rogue Squadron 4, mission3, make Captain N: The game

Rouge Squadron II was a launch title and is still one of the best looking games of Last Gen, which is kinda rare really.

Plus "Rouge Squadron II" was the first game to put you in control of an army of transvestites!

Sadly Factor 5 made the huge mistake of developing for the system with the smallest user base and then producing a crap product to please SONY who were more interested in pushing SIXAXIS as an alternative to the Wii remote.

Plus "Rouge Squadron II" was the first game to put you in control of an army of transvestites!

Errr wut? I don't follow

Off the top of my head the only western dev that Nintendo has is Retro, I think there are more I just can't think of them.

NST and Retro. That it- although i do believe Nintendo still owns stock in Silicon Knights. I'll wager 10,000 bells (obviously not the ringing kind, but AC currency) if anyone can name any other current first or second party developer in the America, Europe or Canada.

Sadly Factor 5 made the huge mistake of developing for the system with the smallest user base and then producing a crap product to please SONY who were more interested in pushing SIXAXIS as an alternative to the Wii remote.

No. No. No. The vast majority of pundits, analysts and commentators predicted the PS3 would be market leader- making it very attractive to developers and publishers. At the very least no one expected the first two years to be a disaster, which it has been.

The fact Factor 5 and Free Radical failed to impress with software is sad, and disappointing, BUT the decision to opt for PS3 was not, at the time, a mistake.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.