Famitsu Review:

・Wii Oboro Muramasa 9/9/8/8

- Single player mode 10~12 hours, two players about 30 hours

- Great graphics and sound, and the difficulty is neither too hard nor easy

- The loading time is surprisingly short

- There's no major climax in the game, so the game has a monotone feel

• 2 weeks later...

First day sales!

[PSP] Sengoku Basara: Battle Heroes (Capcom) - 46,000 (50%)

[WII] Oboro Muramasa (Marvelous Entertainment) - 16,000 (50%)

[PS2] Suggoi! Arcana Heart 2 (AQ Interactive) - 8,000 (40%)

[NDS] Zaidanhoujin Nippon Kanji Nouryoku Kentei Kyoukai Kounin: Kanken DS3 Deluxe (Rocket Company) - 2,000 (5%)

[PSP] Ken to Mahou to Gakuen Mono., PSP the Best (Acquire) - 500 (10%)

demon_bath.jpg

demon_bwah.jpg

First day sales!

[PSP] Sengoku Basara: Battle Heroes (Capcom) - 46,000 (50%)

[WII] Oboro Muramasa (Marvelous Entertainment) - 16,000 (50%)

[PS2] Suggoi! Arcana Heart 2 (AQ Interactive) - 8,000 (40%)

[NDS] Zaidanhoujin Nippon Kanji Nouryoku Kentei Kyoukai Kounin: Kanken DS3 Deluxe (Rocket Company) - 2,000 (5%)

[PSP] Ken to Mahou to Gakuen Mono., PSP the Best (Acquire) - 500 (10%)

demon_bath.jpg

demon_bwah.jpg

Lol @ the second pic.

What the game would look like in HD.

IGN Preview - The most visually stunning game I've ever seen is on the Wii. Don't call me crazy until you've first had an extended look at Muramasa Demon Blade. Vanillaware, makers of Odin Sphere, have proven themselves the masters of 2D and visual style with their first Wii effort. And best of all, beyond just the visuals, Muramasa is turning out to be a fine game as well!

Muramasa has fantastic animation, large sprites and bosses, and lots of enemies on screen. But the thing that really makes it stand out is the variety of its imagery and its attention to detail. You'll go from a foggy forest to a paradise-like beach, cross to a series of rooftops, then enter a Japanese mansion. The backdrops aren't just static scenery either. They have such layered depth and movement that they really do look like paintings come to life.

One thing that has kept me playing Muramasa thus far is the desire to see what gets shown next. But the game isn't just good looks. A fast and deep combat system and some unique level design has kept me wanting to play just as much as the pretty visuals.

Muramasa's combat system manages to keep things simple as far as buttons are concerned. You have just one attack button along with a special move. But with these, and with some well-timed directional presses, you'll make your character, either Momohime or Kisuke, soar through the air with finesse and speed.

Even with the simple control setup, you feel like you're in full control of the characters as you leap from enemy to enemy and connect your attacks while avoiding contact with the ground. And there's never a need to break out of the action for weapon switching or item selection, as these can be done on the fly via the shoulder buttons.

The only thing that's a bit iffy about the controls is the jumping, which requires that you press up on the control stick. This was presumably done to make the game playable with the Wiimote/nunchuck combination. I've found jumping to be a bit tough with the nunchuck's analogue, so I use either the Classic Controller or GameCube controller with the d-pad.

One of the interesting quirks about the combat system is that you can select between a button mashing mode and a more skilled mode. These can be switched between at any time. You're basically changing the difficulty, but the end result is that when playing the button mashing mode (actually "Musou" mode as in the "Musou" from the Dynasty Warriors series' Japanese name) you can pretty much slash away at enemies without fear of dieing. The more skilled setting is for experts only. You'll die pretty quickly if you don't properly use all the moves at your disposal.

In addition to these selectable difficulties, I've gotten the feeling that Momohime's and Kisuke's quests are of different difficulties, with Momohime's being a ways easier. With Kisuke, I died during my first fight!

Combat is all important in Muramasa. The game feels somewhat like a sequence of fighting set pieces. Stages are split into a series of short scrolling areas, each facing you off against one or two groups of enemies. Defeat these enemies, and you're able to proceed. There's also a larger world map surrounding all this, along with the ability to backtrack.

Backtracking is sometimes forced upon you. The game will make you run through large expanses just to get back to a previous point. Annoying? Not at all! There's no loading between scenes, and with the stunning visuals, and the promise of more intense sword play at the end point, you probably won't mind.

Edited by Dante

Yeh, it's coming out in the US in the summer or shortly after and we'll be getting it here in Europe in early 2010.

Ouch, that's a long wait, but atleast it is coming out overhere, unlike some other titles. *grumblegrumble*

Looks great! I love Vanillaware! They create some of the most beautiful 2D-graphics I've ever seen. Just look at Odin Sphere and GrimGrimoire. And this looks even better gameplay-wise.

What the game would look like in HD.

*sigh*

I never quite understood why Nintendo didn't go HD. Sure, it doesn't make the game better, but would it wouldn't have hurt either? They claim the majority of the gamers don't play HD (so much for making Wii futureproof), but there is always an option for SD, right? Well, not regarding Dead Rising for 360, that is. ;)

Japan sales: 6 - 12

01. [PSP] BASARA Battle Heroes (Capcom) 86,000 / NEW

02. [WII] Oboro Muramasa Youtouden (Marvelous) 29,000 / NEW

03. [NDS] Mario & Luigi RPG 3 (Nintendo) 25,000 / 522,000

04. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2 G (PSP the Best) (Capcom) 18,000 / 573,000

05. [NDS] Pro Yakyuu Famista DS 2009 (Konami) 17,000 / 44,000

06. [PSP] Mobile Suit Gundam: Senjou no Kizuna Portable (Namco Bandai) 16,000 / 135,000

07. [PS2] Arcana Heart 2 (AQ Interactive) 11,000 / NEW

08. [PS2] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2009 (Konami) 10,000 / 104,000

09. [PS3] Musou Orochi Z (KOEI) 10,000 / 195,000

10. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo) 9,000 / 3,350,000

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!