N-Europe

I'm furious at Nintendo AS A PUBLISHER...

Dilli Gee

Mario Galaxy WILL outsell Halo 3. And my Wii is broken now because of said sexual relations :(

I have 360 and Wii and I think the Wii is better FOR ME as a gamer - I am one of those people who really does find normal controllers a little boring (I was getting VERY bored of gaming and thinking of stopping until the DS came out and reignited the fire - and funnily that was in the first year which people say was when the DS was SHIT! I had the foresight then telling everyone it was the future of gaming! It revolutionised it and made gaming fun and fresh again! And look what happened, to me its so obvous the Wii is going to do the same, so blatantly obvious I find it baffling that people can't see it and moan about no games!!!!); Gears of War is very very good, but I honestly have much more fun on Trauma Center! People say there arent any great games, I think theres a lot of great games, but people are expecting too much!

And to say Nintendo is a shit piblisher is simply the most ridiculous thing in this whole thread, nay, board! Nintendo can only be outdone by themselves - the only thing that beats Zelda is another Zelda; the only thing that could be better than mario 64 is Mario Galaxy (hell, Sunshine is better than ANY other 3d platformer and we slate it!!) even when they try there hand at motorbikes, trucks, jet skis, snowboards, tennis, golf anything and they produce absolute class 90% of the time - NO ONE can say the same. People may say but camelot made this, Leftfield made that, Sega made Fzero - yes yes, but if you think Nintendo had no involvment in their own franchises, helped in no way, didnt give them that added bit of magic that only Nintendo has then you are very cynical!

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said Dazzy.

The only thing wrong with Nintendo is their European release dates. It's like they are drunk on Gin. But when the games are as good as they continuously are; I'm just happy that we get them. It was waaay worse in the 80's and 90's. And that was only ten/twenty years ago. Things will change again.

People may say but camelot made this, Leftfield made that, Sega made Fzero - yes yes, but if you think Nintendo had no involvment in their own franchises, helped in no way, didnt give them that added bit of magic that only Nintendo has then you are very cynical!

Waiiiit a minute, aren't you underplaying that a little? Its unfair on those companies to say it is only Nintendo with the magic touch.

True, but they dont produce it as proficently as nintendo do in such varied styles and genres and for so long! Nintendo reinvented the indutray, evolved and revolutionised it. With the DS and Wii they are truly changing it again. Nintendo do it in both hardware and software and true innovators. They're pretty fucking inspiring wichever way you look it at it.

Waiiiit a minute, aren't you underplaying that a little? Its unfair on those companies to say it is only Nintendo with the magic touch.

Just look at what happend to Factor 5 when they lost Nintendo's overlook and guidance lol.

Same could apply to Retro, they were really going nowhere (their released games sold bad etc) but then Nintendo helped them produce the Metroid Prime's once they swooped in.

Hell, even Rare seem to have taken a downturn, although that may be for other reasons as I think Microsoft give them alot of backing and resources. They've still not matched the level of something like Perfect Dark or Conkers Bad Fur Day though, to me.

It's not a discredit to these companies, just what seems to be evident over the years.

Hardcores i say, are the serious gamers, who are really into their games, follow gaming culture, all that kind of stuff. Just like we all do on here.

Yes, like the geeks on X-League TV, which whilst can be entertaining at times, is full of total dorks how admit to spending up to 10 hours per day on games.

Anyone who thinks Mario Galaxy has the slightest chance of outselling Halo 3 needs to stop having sexual relations with their Wii.

It's evidently unhealthy.

Don't be so sure, whilst Halo 3 will light up the west in major way and engage every hardcore gamer around, it will sell nothing Japan. Galaxy will sell bucket loads in Japan and every where else for that matter. Plus, Galaxy may well sell to everyone who has become re-enegaged in gaming and remembers Mario from back in the day.

And to say Nintendo is a shit piblisher is simply the most ridiculous thing in this whole thread, nay, board! Nintendo can only be outdone by themselves - the only thing that beats Zelda is another Zelda; the only thing that could be better than mario 64 is Mario Galaxy (hell, Sunshine is better than ANY other 3d platformer and we slate it!!) even when they try there hand at motorbikes, trucks, jet skis, snowboards, tennis, golf anything and they produce absolute class 90% of the time - NO ONE can say the same. People may say but camelot made this, Leftfield made that, Sega made Fzero - yes yes, but if you think Nintendo had no involvment in their own franchises, helped in no way, didnt give them that added bit of magic that only Nintendo has then you are very cynical!

Amen! Especially about Mario Sunshine, Nintendo fans slate it, but it's the best 3D platform game ever bar Mario 64 which still after 10 years sets the standard, now that's quality.

the only thing that could be better than mario 64 is Mario Galaxy (hell, Sunshine is better than ANY other 3d platformer and we slate it!!)

It's a matter of opinion, though. I think BK, BT and DK64 are better than Super Mario 64. And Sonic Adventure 2 Battle is a million times better than Sunshine.

Same could apply to Retro, they were really going nowhere (their released games sold bad etc) but then Nintendo helped them produce the Metroid Prime's once they swooped in.

Retro Studios first released game was Metroid Game. Nintendo started the company.

Anyone who thinks Mario Galaxy has the slightest chance of outselling Halo 3 needs to stop having sexual relations with their Wii.

Maybe you should do reality check, and look actual facts. New Super Mario Bros has sold over 11 million copies worldwide, which is far more than Halo 2 ever sold. Period. In fact, it is fifth best selling game* of last generation. Mario is extremely hot property, and when combined with fact that Wii will have significantly higher userbase than X360 (Wii did already pass X360 this month) by holidays, it is really hard to say why Halo 3 would sell better. In logical terms, of course.

* Grand Theft Auto 3, Vice City, San Andreas and The Sims are the best selling titles.

Just look at what happend to Factor 5 when they lost Nintendo's overlook and guidance lol.

Hell, even Rare seem to have taken a downturn, although that may be for other reasons as I think Microsoft give them alot of backing and resources. They've still not matched the level of something like Perfect Dark or Conkers Bad Fur Day though, to me.

It's not a discredit to these companies, just what seems to be evident over the years.

Hmmm...You're right there.

Something tells me Kameo would have been A LOT better with Nintendo by Rare's side.

Maybe you should do reality check, and look actual facts. New Super Mario Bros has sold over 11 million copies worldwide, which is far more than Halo 2 ever sold. Period. In fact, it is fifth best selling game* of last generation. Mario is extremely hot property, and when combined with fact that Wii will have significantly higher userbase than X360 (Wii did already pass X360 this month) by holidays, it is really hard to say why Halo 3 would sell better. In logical terms, of course.

* Grand Theft Auto 3, Vice City, San Andreas and The Sims are the best selling titles.

Very interesting figures there actually, as I said above I wouldn't like to say which title will sell the most, they're both bound to be steller games and they're both going to sell very well. But writing off Mario would be a huge mistake... especially when you consider that Halo 2 sold 9 million copies worldwide, and Mario Sunshine sold 5.5 million.

Very interesting figures there actually, as I said above I wouldn't like to say which title will sell the most, they're both bound to be steller games and they're both going to sell very well. But writing off Mario would be a huge mistake... especially when you consider that Halo 2 sold 9 million copies worldwide, and Mario Sunshine sold 5.5 million.

I say their both on equal terms about now. I see the end result going to whoever advertises their product most effectively...The Wii adverts here in Europe are ok, but those dudes at Microsoft know how to make the "hardcore", "casual" and DVD-watching non-gamer swoon. I can see bilboards and bus posters for Halo 3 and the TV advert is going to be filled with all that FPS stuff which to some, is almost masturabation-worthy. But in my opinion alone, I see the realism of Halo attracting more attention, sadly, coupled with Xbox Live features.

Its going to be 'toit'.

Halo 2 has sold around 9.2 million copies. Considering the Xbox 360's unit base is larger than that of the original, it will sell well over 10+ million by year's end imo.

I seriously doubt that, because every current X360 owner would have to buy Halo 3. That will never happen before year's end. And the original Xbox had a larger installed base as well, at least when Halo 2 was released.

Retro Studios first released game was Metroid Game. Nintendo started the company.

They had some games long before Nintendo set them up, I don't know if any retailed but they all looked pretty passable (except Ravenblade, which looked awesomeeeeee).

Maybe I'm confused with another company about a game released, but Retro definitely were going before Nintendo swooped in.

I think Mario will sell more in the long term, but Halo will be in the lead come new year.

I'm putting Halo 3 at about 4.5 million by summer 08, and 6 million life. Halo 2 was sold on a console with a much larger userbase, which retailed at $199 when released. Halo 3 has a more expensive console to sell with less then half the userbase, so the sales are obviously going to suffer.

However, Wii's are still flying off shelves at a stupidly fast rate, and Mario still has a selling power which is stronger then anything else in the industry (look at NSMB and Mario Kart DS). Hell, Even Mario Kart DD / Mario Sunshine sold amazingly on such a small GameCube Userbase. I think Galaxy could exceed 10 million in it's life time, and will be about 3 million come the new year.

Both Nintendo and Microsoft will be advertising these games to an excessive amount, Nintendo certainly seem more 'on form' with their advertising though, probably because I haven't seen a Xbox advert in a long time.

I'm making no sense what so ever. I meant I think the game will sell over 10+ million (not "by year's end", just in general).

Look, if Gears of War has raked in over 4 million sales on Xbox 360, I imagine Halo 3 will do much, much better.

...Um, 10 million is a big sum...10 million in 3 months - I highly doubt that.

You are right... I predict around 5 million by year's end.

I'm making no sense what so ever. I meant I think the game will sell over 10+ million (not "by year's end", just in general).

Look, if Gears of War has raked in over 4 million sales on Xbox 360, I imagine Halo 3 will do much, much better.

You are right... I predict around 5 million by year's end.

Thing is, how many people are there who would buy Halo and not Gears of War? They're both hyped up to a high level, both shooters, both are the biggest online 360 games and both appeal to the same market :/.

Halo will sell more, but I don't see much of a difference between the appeal of GoW and Halo from a sales perspective, except Halo is a more well known franchise.

And Sonic Adventure 2 Battle is a million times better than Sunshine.

Did your parents drop you Cube? :p

Anyway, I think predicting sales is a bit silly. At the end of the day both games will say VERY well. It doesnt really matter which one sells better because the average consumer will not easily see any consequence of that.

Halo will sell more, but I don't see much of a difference between the appeal of GoW and Halo from a sales perspective, except Halo is a more well known franchise.

A few things:

1) Halo 3 isn't as violent as GoW, and appeals to a broader and also younger [legal] audience. It won't have a BBFC 18-certificate on it.

2) GoW's heavy marketing campaign pails compared to Halo 3's.

3) Xbox 360's price-cut was timed for Halo 3's release.

GoW was a brand new title. It did very well. So on paper, Halo 3 (which is an already established brand) should do even better.

It's a matter of opinion, though. I think BK, BT and DK64 are better than Super Mario 64. And Sonic Adventure 2 Battle is a million times better than Sunshine.

I'm not so sure of Banjo Kazooie, but once I got the hang of Sonic Adventure 2 I found it so much more rewarding than Sunshine, the Sonic levels were awesome.

I don't understand why people complain about Sonic in 3D, it was great (SA 1+2) but they were ruined by having to play shitty levels as other characters (Big the Cat...) and now Sega have completely lost the plot with recent 3D Sonic titles.