N-Europe

UK

You should read all of Whedons Astonishing run, some of the best X-Men for ages.

Alot of people recommend that, I may check out some TPB and see how it works out for me.

Chris Bachalo is one of my favourite artists, and Joe Maduereira is RIDICULOUSLY talented IMO.

Yeah, I loved his work and was gutted when he left Uncanny X-men. I was also a fan of Roger Cruz, his style was very similar and his run on X-man was great.

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReZourceman

• Happenstance

• Paj!

• Dan_Dare

Bear in mind, by New X-Men, I don't mean;

18078-106041-1-new-x-men-vol-2_400.jpg

I mean;

New_x-men_114.jpg

---

I used to love Madureira. My first X-Men issue was the one where Sabretooth tricks Boom Boom into letting him free, and he savages Psylocke. (I was 8, and loved) He was the artist there. However, I'm much more of a Kubert brothers (specifically Andy) fan now. Frank Quitely is very unique and I love him. [/expressed that enough]

Jim Lee certainly is great, and all his art feels really "definitive". As though you can tell an image he makes could be the standard one used on wikipedia/in books and so on.

It gets a bit samey when you realise every man or woman looks roughly the same as each other, though.

I used to love Madureira. My first X-Men issue was the one where Sabretooth tricks Boom Boom into letting him free, and he savages Psylocke. (I was 8, and loved) He was the artist there. However, I'm much more of a Kubert brothers (specifically Andy) fan now. Frank Quitely is very unique and I love him. [/expressed that enough]

Fantastic issue. Thats where she tries to use her psyblade but it doesn't work ( since Wolverine stabbed him in the head ) and then he goes on to pretty much kill her. Love that issue.

I also liked Andy Kuberts work aswell, he was doing X-Men during Joes Uncanny days which made for a great partnership.

I think thats more the style I like. Dont take this as me belittling your preference but say with Frank Quietly I find his work (At least his New X-Men stuff) pretty ugly.

Each to his own, but I get a bit sick of stuff that is too "cartoony" and slick, after a while. Which is why my like of Madureira has waned.

Quitely's X-men was just beautiful, and clean, but...intricate. I still love the main title page of E is for Extinction, with the rectangles representing each X-Men.

You can see his roots in underground comics in his linework.

:bowdown:

speaking of New X-Men; I think it was the first comic I read (on an almost x-clusive diet of material anyway) where characters didn't talk during a fight. Meta dialog always fucked me off in x-men. It was always the way that, rather than just show the powers off, the writers felt it necessary to explain what each power was every issue. Grant Morrison was pretty ahead of the curve dropping that bollocks- clearly he realised the absurdity of cyclops waxing lyrical about his optic blasts while he was already smashing the fuck out of walls with his eyes

speaking of New X-Men; I think it was the first comic I read (on an almost x-clusive diet of material anyway) where characters didn't talk during a fight. Meta dialog always fucked me off in x-men. It was always the way that, rather than just show the powers off, the writers felt it necessary to explain what each power was every issue. Grant Morrison was pretty ahead of the curve dropping that bollocks- clearly he realised the absurdity of cyclops waxing lyrical about his optic blasts while he was already smashing the fuck out of walls with his eyes

YES.

Clarmont is guilty of this. hate it so fucking much.

Everytime Rogue has a thought buble, she has to recite her entire life story and the "cursed" soliloquoy, and SOMEONE always has to warn another long-time team member not to touch Rogue because of her *recites entire power description*, despite the fact they obviously weren't. And the overused phrase with Cyclops being able to punch through a mountain or something. Similar to Rogue's curses soliloguoys.

Aye, Claremont is a war criminal for it. X-Treme X-Men was a fucking exposition car crash.

Noticeably, all the top Marvel guys have followed Morrison's lead. Fraction, Millar et al. Kirkman, too, over at Image. Invincible and The Walking Dead both feature next to no captions and neither feature thought bubbles.

it's very post Miller, really. In V for Vendetta he didn't even use SFX.

A agree. The art is stunning....obviously....but....its just...Wolverine. With his face half off. Which happens all the time.

-------------

My friend has just announced the Super Hero Shindig - 4. (Dunno what the specific name is yet) anyway, any suggestions for what to go as. I'm 90% sure I will go as.....

2417_press01-001.jpg

But I might change my mind. Spidey enemy definitely.

OMG! Thought of an amazing idea! In the tail I could have a water pistol-type thing with alcohol in. For acid.

Edited by ReZourceman

I would make a pretty good Doctor Octopus....however there was a really good one last time (or time before) and I want to be original (within the Shindig universe)

Also how would teh arms be easy? :(

I canneeee see. Tail will be the most difficult thing of that. (Obviously) but I have a good/interesting idea to make it work (involves a harness)

I would love to go somewhere dressed as Mysterio. The head may not be that great, but it would still be fucking awesome.

I was given an old Spiderman comic, this one here:

AmazingSpider-Man016.jpg

And Daredevil takes the piss like that so many times.

I would make a pretty good Doctor Octopus....however there was a really good one last time (or time before) and I want to be original (within the Shindig universe)

I canneeee see. Tail will be the most difficult thing of that. (Obviously) but I have a good/interesting idea to make it work (involves a harness)

Scorpion won't look very good, imo. The tail will be hard, and it's a quite boring design for a villain outside the overly muscled superhero universe.

Go as Kraven. Or Sabretooth. Anyone with a big furry collar.

umm, you know that kind of flexible coiled pipe? they use it for the extended thin bits on hoovers. Buy some!

Kraven would be good too. Waistcoat, fake fur and some cuddly toys. Do it!

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!