NEurope
jammy2211

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World

I like the visuals, but they could use an upgrade. It's still early in development though so they probably will up them a bit. It looks a lot better in those newer shots though.I don't like the idea of clicking on the overworld, does this mean that we get an overworld like FFX, where you click on the locations but can't explore?

I don't like the idea of clicking on the overworld, does this mean that we get an overworld like FFX, where you click on the locations but can't explore?

Yup. Same is with Tales of the World. Considering how barren "Tales of" overworlds always are, I don't know if that is so bad thing.

You know I don't know if there's EVER been a direct RPG sequel that uses the same characters in the main roles. This sounds a lot like Nippon Ichi done with Disgaea 2, completely new cast and the original bunch make cameos from time to time and some are directly involved with the story.
Final Fantasy X-2, Tales of Destiny 2... Fire Emblem series :P (Path of radiance brings back most greil mercenaries)

Honestly I wouldn't expect much from the old characters, Lloyd especially. If there likely to give anyone an important role in the new game's team it's probably more likely to be any of the other characters than Lloyd, since he was the main character last time and they wont want him in the "spotlight" again.
I don't think they're in the spotlight, we have two new main characters after all.

Also... I dunno if Llloyd and company will be represented in the same manner, because Lloyd and them used chibi representations, whereas this game uses a style more similar to abyss... Meaning probably a chibi Lloyd would look like copy pastes midget next to the main character.

That said I could be wrong analysing, but that's the vibe it gave me.

Yup. Same is with Tales of the World. Considering how barren "Tales of" overworlds always are, I don't know if that is so bad thing.

You could explore in Tales of Symphonia, just limited in waht you could find, first play through it was great cuz you didn't know where the towns and such were.

I always liked searching for item chests and those "hidden skit" scenes and such.

Hate to be an ass, but if tos is anything to go by, we might not see this until late 2009 (which would be a shot to the chest) but my question is, does anyone know who the artist for this game is? I would like to say Kosuke but I'm seeing more of a Eternia style in the art work.

Edit:

I found out it isn't the great Godfather of tos doing the art work. Its Mutsumi Inomata. Famous for other tales games such as

Tales of Destiny & Destiny 2

Tales of of Eternia

Tales of Rebirth

Tales of of the tempest

And a few costume designs in Tekken 5.

Tales of Symphonia took 15 months for us after it was out in Japan.If it's out in Q1 in Japan then likely Q3 09 for us (or about 2 years from now :cry: )

More awesome cut-scenes couldn't hurt, some of the art in TOS was magical.

More awesome cut-scenes couldn't hurt, some of the art in TOS was magical.

Definitely, this game needs a hell of a lot more anime cut scenes, they were just too beautiful!

Tales of Symphonia took 15 months for us after it was out in Japan.If it's out in Q1 in Japan then likely Q3 09 for us (or about 2 years from now :cry: )

so Q2 09 for north america most likely then, wonder who will be doing the localization.

Oh my god oh my god

Knights of Ratatoskr

Moving on to the Wii Tales of Symphonia Knights of Ratatoskr, the Spring 2008 (Japanese release) title is, as mentioned in our initial update, a direct sequel to the GameCube and PS2 Tales of Symphonia, painting a new story three years after the events of that game. While story details are scarce, Bandai Namco did announce that the game's main character would be named Emil, and the heroine Malta. Lloyd and other characters from the original will also appear in the game.

Bandai Namco is working on some updates to the title for the Wii. Visually, the company claims that the graphics have been improved, with higher texture resolution. This is true of new dungeons and towns, and those that you might have visited in the original.

Gameplay is also seeing a few updates. The game will feature Wii-mote direct controls, allowing players to move around by pointing at sections of the map. While not strictly Wii related, the game will also include the ability to capture and breed monsters for use as allies in battle.

Explodes

The game will feature Wii-mote direct controls, allowing players to move around by pointing at sections of the map.

Explodes

Ok that is the part that I don't like. And brings back to my rememberance a skit in TOS where Lloyd is complaining about a lack of a quick jump option, and it being for lazy people. Clicking from town to town instead of walking from town to town, sounds like something made for lazy people.

Ok, I've been staying away from this thread way too long.

-Graphics update: I preferred Symphonia's graphics to Abyss' graphics, so I'm kinda disappointed in this. It's still fine, though.

-Wiimote functions: Not a bad idea, but as long as it is used on an explorable map. I hated not being able to explore world maps in Baten Kaitos. I don't care if Tales series maps aren't detailed. It's 10 times better than unexplorable maps. Unfortunately, I'll probably be disappointed in this.

-Characters returning: It's fine. I wouldn't want it any other way. Tales of Destiny 2 did the same thing and I hear it's a great game.

-Monsters in battle: Interesting idea for a Tales game. I love capturing monsters and stuff. That's why I like Quina in Final Fantasy 9 (oh, and Pokémon, of course). Will probably be used by a character. If so, that character is already in my party.

Ten10: The guy you mentioned. Does he only do the artwork or does he work on character design as well? I loved the characters in Tales of Destiny.

Tales of Symphonia hype: Of course it's a great RPG! Not THE best ever, since tastes vary, but great in it's own right (and my personal favorite RPG).

Engaging battle system, cool music (debatable), great plot (debatable) and, above all, amazing characters (undisputable. If someone tells me he/she/it didn't like any of the characters, he/she/it is probably lying). Plus, the game lasts a good while with the lengthy main quest and numerous side-quests.

Ten10: The guy you mentioned. Does he only do the artwork or does he work on character design as well? I loved the characters in Tales of Destiny.

She will be doing both the art work and character design (Mutsumi). Maybe Kosuke was busy, or they didn't want to get him back after already doing work with Abyss, either way its a shame he's not back for a follow up.

She will be doing both the art work and character design (Mutsumi). Maybe Kosuke was busy, or they didn't want to get him back after already doing work with Abyss, either way its a shame he's not back for a follow up.

Whoa. It's a woman, my mistake.

Anyway, I like her art style and design as well, so there shouldn't be much problem. As long as the skit system is back, all is well (except the unexplorable maps :nono:)

AFAIK, I'd guess he did work for both versions of Tales of Fandom Vol.2 that came out last month, since it had characters from Tales of Phantasia, Tales of the Abyss and Tales of Symphonia.

Oh Emm Fucking Gee.

Great, another reason I need a Wii!

Damn you Nintendo! :p

Ok that is the part that I don't like. And brings back to my rememberance a skit in TOS where Lloyd is complaining about a lack of a quick jump option, and it being for lazy people. Clicking from town to town instead of walking from town to town, sounds like something made for lazy people.

That was a hilarious skit but i agree, i loved walking around the map (or flying riding or sailing) i don't think its an option for lazy people i think its an option for lazy programers

breeding monsters will make the game similar to pokemon and in a good way

Truly Awesome news but they really need to have an explorable map because for a sequel to TOS, click to get from point A to B = part of the experience killed.

And what about...

[spoiler=]"flying about on the Rheiards, that won't be possible anymore"

The explorable map was quite a big part of the game, especially considering the amount of land you got to travel across. I hope this changes cos I don't want to wait nearly two years for this to come out only to find part of the game is "missing" due to Namco taking shortcuts, they took none with the original TOS so why should they now?

Put in the extra effort Namco if this really is a true sequel.

Apparently the game isn't so much of a sequel but a spin off.... which doesn't sound too good.

Apparently the game isn't so much of a sequel but a spin off.... which doesn't sound too good.

yeah that makes sense from what they've announced.

They obviously want to cash in on the Wii's early success.

Saying it's a spin off doesn't really make sense, as most Tales are unrelated to one another.

There have been tales spin offs (there was a Namco produced puzzle game that's title started with "Tales of").

Perhaps the map we saw was just a map you get to help with navigation, and everything they told us about it was a mistranslation (sorry i wasn't trying to make this rhyme).

There have been tales spin offs (there was a Namco produced puzzle game that's title started with "Tales of").
Tales of Fandom.

Oh dear, I hope this isn't going to be a FFX-2...