NEurope
jammy2211

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World

Ooh, I'll be interested to read your opinions on the Wii one. I was looking at it in Woolies the other day... I'm wary of buying Wrestling games though cos we all know No Mercy will probably never be matched, let alone bettered. :(

No Mercy will never...and The Rock means NEVER...be bettered :)

Back on topic, heres the GT review of the game.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/42581.html?type=mov

Is there any spoilers or anything in that? I'm a bit tempted to watch it.

Not really. They mention the old Tales crew and say briefly what the story is about, thats pretty much it.

No Mercy will never...and The Rock means NEVER...be bettered :)

Back on topic, heres the GT review of the game.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/42581.html?type=mov

If you smellllllllllll... what the hidden chef is cooking!

I watched the review and I don't feel spoiled, so as long as you don't mind seeing some footage of the game, then its worth watching. The graphics aren't amazing by any stretch, but I don't actually mind the different graphical style of it... and it definitely shows that character movement has been motion captured this time round.

It sounds like DotNW is gonna be pretty much the game I'm expecting. :smile:

From that video review, it sounded a bit better than I thought :heh:

Im not a huge Tales fan so I wasnt hyped up for this anyway but I think it looks great.

The graphics aren't amazing by any stretch, but I don't actually mind the different graphical style of it... and it definitely shows that character movement has been motion captured this time round.

Someone else who likes the graphical change? Wow, I thought I was alone out there. At least now the character in game look like the art work.

The previous game had so many different versions of the characters, I thought it was a bit strange. The 3D models looked different to the versions in the anime cut scenes, which looked nothing like the characters portraits on the status screens/ the ending screen and they were different to the Japanese art which appears in the manual.

And as for IGNs review, I can't argue with the score because I've never played it, but the text really did read the ramblings from some embittered fanboy's GameFAQs review. They said every had been done better before and it was pretty substandard in almost every aspect apart from the battle mechanics which were strictly average and over familiar at best. Then they gave it a score which seemed completely at contrast with the contents of the review (it was too high).

I'd never thought I'd say this, but the GT review completely embarrassed the IGN in terms of it's journalist integrity.

But just to make it clear, have nothing against IGN and often agree with their reviews, but I just can't believe they published that.

Anyway, roll on the European release!

No review will keep me from getting this game, even if it was the exact same game as the first with the story somehow continued I would buy it!

I liked the GT review.

But damnit, the main character looks cheesy at hell in some moments, and awesome in other.

I orgasmed at the "Its over now" "I'l finish you" sentences he gave on his finishing moves.

But i won't buy this game anyways, i didn't play the first one

I liked the GT review.

But damnit, the main character looks cheesy at hell in some moments, and awesome in other.

I orgasmed at the "Its over now" "I'l finish you" sentences he gave on his finishing moves.

But i won't buy this game anyways, i didn't play the first one

I'd at least get the first one, its amazing.

The GT review has hyped me fore this game, but I've tried not to overhype myself for it. I know I'll be disappointed anyway since I'll always (and with no control over it) be comparing it to the original. Though, the review makes it sound like a pretty darn good game. I just wish they had at least ported over the over world from the original and just merged the tethealla and sylvaraunt (both sp?) maps. But I'm actually starting to think I might enjoy this more than I thought a month ago. The monster system sounds pretty awesome now rather than just a gimmick.

I'll still faithfully wait for a PAL release. Anyone with me?

I am. Of course that is actually my only option.

IGN review is up...

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/928/928479p2.html

6.7 :/

I know it's only a score, but I read the review and it really doesn't sound that appealing anymore, I have it pre-ordered atm, that may change depending on other reviews, it just seems like an empty sequel from what I've been hearing of it lately.

I am. Of course that is actually my only option.

I'm with you guys. I'd be very gutted if this never saw a PAL release.

SCG, I posted about the IGN review already in here. :heh: You should check out the Gametrailers one that H-o-T linked us too because they put a really positive spin on ToS2. :smile:

Hmm, I've been to 3 stores now and none of they have had this. I've still got to look at EB games yet though.

I'll still faithfully wait for a PAL release. Anyone with me?

I am! I could use the freeloader but I played the original for 300 hours and that's too much to risk losing. Who knows what Nintendo might come up with that requires me to upgrade the firmware. Hard drive is the first thing that comes to mind.

Pal guy here too. Besides me and the old crew have some catching up to do.

After playing the game for a few hours, I can see why it got bad reviews, but its not really a bad game. In-fact, minus a few things, it could actually be on par with the original. The lack of a world map is probably the biggest problem I think, it worked so well in the first one. Without it, the game feels too linear. While the graphics have improved, thats perhaps the only thing, and TBH, I would have been fine with those of the first game as these don't really take advantage at all of the Wii. Most of the other problems with the game have to do with localization, The translation itself isn't perfect, its too bad Nintendo didn't do it for Namco like with the last one. The Voice actors are pretty awful especially the one for Emil (SP) at the beginning, it does get a little better. The first scene just didn't feel right with the different voice actor for Lloyd. The monster system works very well, though, I've got two of them to the point where it says they can evolve but I can't figure out how to do that yet. Then there's the battle system. Its different, Emil is awkward to control compared to Lloyd from the first one. And they've changed it so if you run into a monster during a fight, instead of them being like a wall, you push them which is hard to get used to, though can be useful sometimes. And since blocking is done with the "Z" button, it can be harder to do. The story, although linear, and not as epic as that of the first one, isn't that bad. Though emil is way to shy. All in all, I'd avoid this if you didn't play the first one, or didn't like the first one, but if you liked the first one, this is a must buy.

After playing the game for a few hours, I can see why it got bad reviews, but its not really a bad game. In-fact, minus a few things, it could actually be on par with the original.

I actually agree. It really is actually quite decent, despite a few niggles like voice acting and the not so great graphic conversion (by this, I mean that it's as if they've simply switched directly to non-cell shaded with no sprucing up done afterwards). So far what I have played is a solid game, with a soundtrack that is very much like the original in style and quality.

I tend to take reviews for RPGs with a pinch of salt since most review sites are American Japanophobes. RPGs in general tend to score lower instantly unless they are western RPGs, and same old gameplay unoriginal titles (often FPS) such as Halo 3 score unrealistically high.

I am! I could use the freeloader but I played the original for 300 hours and that's too much to risk losing. Who knows what Nintendo might come up with that requires me to upgrade the firmware. Hard drive is the first thing that comes to mind.

Tee-hee, all you get is some gold or gel, so I was told. Something pitiful anyway!

WOOHOO, I'm actually loving it, sure it has it's issues, certainly not as good as the first but still has me hooked. Case in point: I played 10 hours non-stop finishing at 4am (only waking now), awesome stuff.

I got mine yesterday, after spending the whole day waiting for the postman and nothing coming round 5pm i actually PM's Shadow to see if his came seeing as I know he ordered from the same place as me. Right after that my mom came to room with a package and said "is this what your waiting for" (postman was very late indeed), I quickly grabbed it barely said thanks and ran to my Wii. And since this is the first import Wii game I have I was extra happy to see my newly installed Homebrew Channel works. When the game started up I jumping around going "YES, it WORKS", i'm actually surprised how easy it is to get the Wii un-region locked with a little program, makes you wonder why Nintendo bother with regions anymore, after all overall they still make money off the game sale.

Anyway onto the game, the start-up intro was nice, though I would have prefered the Japanese music, I know it's not as good as Starry Heavens but it would have been better than what they put on the western versions. Surprised it showed all the original ToS crew, confirming they'll all be there, I had a feeling they would but it would have been nice to be surprised... guess the only guessing is what order they appear in. And the US disc unfrtunatley can't detect the PAL GC memory card, shame, but I hear the extras are just minimal.

The games actual intro was awesome, l loved how Kratos was the voice over again (such an awesome voice). And the explanation for how Tethe'alla and Sylvarant are fighting makes sense, can't believe I expected everyone to just get along and celebrate. But it doesn't seem like it was fully explained about Mithos... maybe Lloyd felt he shouldn't ruin the legend of the Hero Mithos. What I didn't like actually was how it keeps being said that Collette reunited the worlds and brought back the Giant Tree. WTF? Lloyd was the one who did it all!!!!

Anyway in the opening scene I was in shock and disbelief what I saw Lloyd doing. Hurting innocent unarmed civilians? WTF? That is not Lloyd, if he was a knight of the Church of Martel and was given those orders the Llyod we know would have switched sides to save Palmacosta... the way he acted he was almost like Mithos???

Oh yeah, why do they keep calling the giant tree, the "New World Tree"? Wasn't Lloyd meant to have called it "Yygdrasil" according to Tales of Phantasia?

Getting control in Luin was cool, walking round seeing it restored (minus the dry lake) the Statues etc.... though was there a part of the town you could go to in the middle? Cuz I could only see 3 (Sheena, Raine and Lloyd), I was certain there was one for all 8? The bridge north of Raine and next to Sheena isn't there another section of town between those? Yet here you just go from one to the other.... or am i going crazy?

Emil i'm not liking, he's like the total opposite of Lloyd, he's a whinny little bitch and he's worse than Collette constantly saying "sorry", I was actually happy to see Collette when I did because I'm hating Emil more than her, which I didn't think was possible. His "Ratatosk" personality is a bit better... but obvious from the scene in Luin when beating the guy in gold armor he's evil... something I suspect of Ratatosk when he wakes.... Summon Spirit of Monsters? I suspect he'll be evil and try to overthrow the Goddess Martel as the Trees Protector. (Note: this is speculation on my part, if i'm right or wrong nobody tell me, i'm sure i'll find out as I continue through the game, thanks)

Marthas decent enough actually... why couldn't Sheena be like that with Lloyd? Though I do wonder how Martha can't see that Emil is an idiot sometimes. Tenbrae is pretty wicked I think, though like Ratatosk I can see him turning later on (again nobody tell me if i'm right)

Gameplay wise, of course I hate the new world map system, sure it's faster to get from one place to the next but I'd rather be free to explore especially to see how the new united worlds are. Speaking of which scrolling round the map, Sylvarant I can make out quite well where most places are, but Flanoir seems to be the only Tethe'alla area I can make out for obvious reasons.... I can't even see Altemiras Island? Maybe it'll become clearer later. Also not being able to go to the field for leveling up sucks... though the Katz Quest thing kinda makes up for that and gives some little side stories too which is nice.

The game seems very story driven too... almost Metal Gear Solid like, there's a skit or cut scene like every few minutes. And the skits here are mostly important to story and character development. In ToS they seemed more like extra info but not essential. Here alot of the story is told through them, so glad that voice acting was added to them, and a few have been entertaining also. Actually I think this is the main reason for the change in art style from teh Chibi models, with all the cut scenes these models work better for for the characters than than the chibi style would have. And I'm actually enjoying the GFX know.

The monster catching thing is ok and I can't see that it is largely relevent to the story but I wish there were more characters that stuck around. I was pretty excited when Collette joined up, then I noticed she doesn't gain experience points so I know she wasn't going to be regular forever. In fact are there any other characters that do join and stay? The monster thing makes more sense now, cuz there's no other new characters? WTF? I was hoping for a large cast like in ToS 6 to 8 new characters with the ToS crew joining later in the game (that would be a large party alright). Shame really. The new Unison attack thing was confusing me at first, I was like "why isn't it like ToS where you select what moves and if you do the right ones you get a combo attack", once I realised no other characters were joining (or so it seems to far) it kinda made sense... though I much prefer ToS's....also changing Techs to Artes? Small issue but WTF?

I'm actually not changing my monsters that much, using the same two all the time, the Bear and the Imp :heh: Though the bear can evolve now, i'm not sure if I should let him, seeing as he's actually a higher level than even Emil and Martha :heh:

Anyway, dispite it's issues (i'm sure there's more i could mention but this is getting to be a long ass post and I wanna get out of bed get breakfast and play again) i am still enjoying, I think having both avoided all spoilers/videos/screens and not going in with such high expectations has helped me enjoy it more. Not as much exploring (due to the map) as ToS and a lot more story scenes but I'm enjoying the story, although I think i might have worked out a few more things... like after Palmacosta, I'm almost certain

NOTE THE FOLLOWING IS SPECULATION but I have a good feeling it might be true so this is a potential SPOILER WARNING for those not yet this far.

Emil is not actually Emil at all, just some guy who had no memories and wandered into Emils parents and though they were his. Looking back it kinda makes sense, when they were running he was behind them all of a sudden he's by Martha and walks back to his parents? And how Mrs. Dorr didn't recognise him and Thomas' reaction too.

Again like before i'm just speculating, if I'm right or wrong DON'T tell me please.

I'm up as far as Triet now, with Raine and Genis, just went straight to the Inn and saved seeing as it was 4am I thought I should get to bed....