NEurope
Retro_Link

Zelda Wii: Not anytime soon!

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/804/804241p1.html

E3 2007: Aonuma and Miyamoto on Next Wii Zelda

Some ideas are being thrown around, but don't expect a sequel anytime soon.

The launch of Twilight Princess with the Wii was a first for Nintendo, which has never delivered a Zelda game so early in the life cycle of a new console. So does that mean fans may not be treated to another Zelda project, this time developed exclusively for Wii? Well, at the very least, it looks like it's going to be awhile, Speaking with IGN Wii, Twilight Princess director Eiji Aonuma and Nintendo producer Shigeru Miyamoto collectively indicated that while some ideas are being tossed around for a new Wii Zelda project, nothing is very far along, or set in stone.

Asked if Twilight Princess would be Wii's last Zelda, Aonuma said, "I can't say, but I guess for now, maybe, yeah [laughs]. Not to say that it's going to be the final game. There's still a lot of potential with the Wii so there's still a possibility that there could be another Zelda for it. We do have some ideas in the works, but I can't say for sure because none of them have been approved and we're still very much in the planning process, so I hope you look forward to whatever comes out."

While Twilight Princess performed under expectations in Japan, the newly released DS title, Phantom Hourglass, is selling very well, and Nintendo is taking notice of gamers' reactions. "The Phantom Hourglass has been released in Japan and reception has been very, very positive," said Aonuma. "We've actually been able to receive feedback from the users and we'll definitely take all of those comments into consideration when creating the next Zelda, whether it be for Wii or DS."

Shigeru Miyamoto elaborated on the likelihood of another Wii Zelda. "It's really hard to say because we've never had a Zelda that's appeared so early in the life cycle of the system, so it's definitely possible that there would be another Zelda on Wii," he said. "Of course, the challenge is that typically a Zelda game is something that takes three years to develop, so we'll just have to wait and see."

Hmm... not good news!!

Can't see there being anything shown for a new Zelda until atleast 2009 now!

And that's if there is going to be another Zelda on Wii! They didn't sound all that positive! Launch title for Wii 2?

At the moment it seems like alot of Nintendo's focus has shifted towards there 'new style games', Brain Age, Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Wii Music, Mii's etc... etc...

With this shift in focus and the high praise of Zelda on DS, it seems more likely we'll see another Zelda DS before we see anything of Zelda Wii!

Not looking good then. Then again almost every Nintendo console has had two Zelda games during it's lifetime. Only the SNES didn't. And considering Zelda's popularity they'll probably make another one, it'll be a few more years before we see it though.

After Phantom Hourglass' success in Japan I'm sure we'll get one on the Wii. We will just have to wait a while. I'm sure Nintendo won't forget about us 'true' gamers. Maybe they are waiting to see how succesful the Wii Board is, and then they might design a Zelda game with that in mind?

Surely we WILL see a Wii one, unless nintendo has a new console coming out before 2010

Totally wasn't expecting that :indeed:
You didn't think there might be something of Zelda Wii at E3 2008? Surely that was quite a good possibility until now! The first info on the title and the first basic trailer perhaps!

Considering Twilight Princess was developed for GC and work started on it as far back as around 2002 (the first Twilight Princess trailer was shown at E3 2003), I would have thought they'd have been working on something for Zelda Wii, that we could get to see next E3!

Thought we might be looking at a Christmas 2009 release for Zelda Wii! But if nothings even really been started yet and it takes more than 3 years, then maybe there won't be another on Wii!

Good. I love Zelda I really do, TP was phonomenal and OoT is still my favourite game ever, but I think i'm ready for a break. TP was 120% Zelda, and I think it should be left as a pleasant end to the series. Now don't get me wrong, I don't want PH to by my last Zelda game, its just I'd like a break. Maybe do what Metroid did. Lay low, reinvent, and then reappear on the next Nintendo home console fresh, new, and stunning.

I don't want to see one for a few years yet anyhoo! I don't want Zelda to start appearing as often as say Splinter Cell!!!

I'd really love a Majora's Mask-like game on Wii. More emphasis on the side-quests and definately a Bomber's Notebook!

Good. I love Zelda I really do, TP was phonomenal and OoT is still my favourite game ever, but I think i'm ready for a break. TP was 120% Zelda, and I think it should be left as a pleasant end to the series. Now don't get me wrong, I don't want PH to by my last Zelda game, its just I'd like a break. Maybe do what Metroid did. Lay low, reinvent, and then reappear on the next Nintendo home console fresh, new, and stunning.

I totally agree...

Its one of those games that needs time spent on it.

I wont complain if they spend the next five/six years on producing the next one as long as its worthwhile.

Zelda Wii not far along? Excellent news.

Why? Many reasons.

1. The obvious one, means they'll be taking their time to think through things. New ideas, etc.

2. Means Nintendo will be spending more time on other projects.

3. Means we will always have something to look forward to on the horizon. Not showing all your aces at once, I think is the saying.

4. This could basically indicate that the Wii's lifespan is longer than just a few years. If Zelda Wii is a long way off, then Nintendo will obviously not be in a hurry to look forward to the next system. Couple that with the excellent sales figures and growing support.

Sort of disappointed, TP was a let down to me while still being an amazing game. I'm ready for Nintendo trying some different games and franchises, and really look forward to what is ahead of the 'Big 4'. Pikmin 3 is a given, but I can't see stuff like the Kirby Platformer being a big Christmas release so you have to wonder what aces Nintendo have up their sleeve.

This could all be lies anyway, if Nintendo don't want us to know about it they're not going to tell us about it are they?

Just points more and more towards Nintendo leading towards the casual gamer...Not one hardcore announcement at the e3 conference, past the beginning of next year there is going to be very little I want to play on Wii and I can see myself doing exactly what I did with the gamecube and picking up an xbox (360 this time round obviously) just to find something I want to play.

Just points more and more towards Nintendo leading towards the casual gamer...Not one hardcore announcement at the e3 conference, past the beginning of next year there is going to be very little I want to play on Wii and I can see myself doing exactly what I did with the gamecube and picking up an xbox (360 this time round obviously) just to find something I want to play.

Not one gaming announcement at E3, that's true. But, is that also pointing E3 becoming, er, a bit...shit, nowadays? :heh:

The games will come. They are coming. Heck. I think people are just too quick to hit the panic button.

Do you honestly think when Nintendo have 3 absolutely huge hardcore games to release this year (SMG, SSBB and MP3) that they're going to take the entire media focus and hype away from these games with a game set for release in 2008?

Look around, all the Nintendo focus post-E3 is on Metroid Prime 3 and Super Mario Galaxy - the two biggest games Nintendo are next set to release for the Wii. Once they've come then they'll start pushing Smash Bro's into the media spotlight.

I think Mario Kart counts as hardcore surely too? It's shaping up to be about 8+ online and is well, a Mario Kart game.

There was only room in the line up for something like Wii Fit at the moment, once the big 4 have come and gone then Nintendo arn't going to stop annoucing games are they? Then it'll be time for Pikmin 3 and D:DoC and whatever else is relevent.

Just points more and more towards Nintendo leading towards the casual gamer...

Surely their US lineup screams casuals...

July 20: Mario Strikers Charged

August 20: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

October 29: Battalion Wars II

October 29: Eternal Blue

November 5: Fire Emblem: Goddess of Dawn

November 11: Super Mario Galaxy

December 3: Smash Bros Brawl

January: Mario Kart Wii*

* Not officially announced date, but Reggie said so to Chris Kohler

And not to mention that last homeconsole Zelda was released just seven months ago, and average development time for Zelda title is 4.2 years*. And surely Nintendo bought one of the world's premier JRPG development houses just to turn it into minigamefactory.

* Meaning that TP is probably pouring out from both Miyamoto's and Anouma's ears. Long development cycles can be extremely stressfull.

Surely their US lineup screams casuals...

July 20: Mario Strikers Charged

August 20: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

October 29: Battalion Wars II

October 29: Eternal Blue

November 5: Fire Emblem: Goddess of Dawn

November 11: Super Mario Galaxy

December 3: Smash Bros Brawl

January: Mario Kart Wii*

* Not officially announced date, but Reggie said so to Chris Kohler

And not to mention that last homeconsole Zelda was released just seven months ago, and average development time for Zelda title is 4.2 years. And surely Nintendo bought one of the world's premier JRPG development houses just to turn it into minigamefactory.

Yaaar but Wii Fiit is fur knew gamorzzzzzzzzzzz inniitzz?

In a broom cupboard somewhere iat Nintendo HQ:

"Hey, I just had a totally crazy idea for Wii Zelda!"

"That's nice Reggie, but could hurry up? I have to pick my kid from soccer practice!"

not a shocker to me, like alot of you said i can deal with waiting awhile for another zelda game, Phantom Hourglass will tide me over, and TP will never get old for me.

YES good news indeed nintendo should take their time on this game and make it completely new to what we have expected so far. People that are complaining.....if you don't like it then make you're own zelda game :P

So, basically, they are working on Zelda Wii, and therefore it's in the same stage as Pikmin Wii. Yet the Pikmin Wii is good news, and this is bad news. Huh???

One simple question. For those that were disappointed with Twilight Princess, do you want another Zelda game that'll make you all edgy, sad and increase your blood pressure and have implications on your personal wellbeing/health as a result of not meeting your personal expectations?

If you answered no to this question, than just relax, let Nintendo take 3+ years to develop the game, the longer they work on it, the greater liklihood, we'll get a game that surpasses Twilight Princess.

Or alternatively, if they do succumb to demand and release a not so good Zelda game and it has adverse effects on your health, go out and buy Wii Fit, do some yoga/meditation and let out your frustration.

In fact you could do that right when it releases.

"I WANT MY ZELDA DAMMIT" Some would be thinking along these lines, do the yoga/meditation or whatever other activities/exercises you like on Wii fit and chill out...