N-Europe

Your old computer

conzer16

I'm looking at purchasing a brand new computer for the family, as I'm the most "tech" of them but still I know nothing about PC hardware!

I was wondering what pieces of the current PC (dell) can be saved/recycled etc, or how do I go about destroying the hard-drive so no information such as credit card numbers can be extracted off it?

To destroy a hard drive just drive a nail through it (which shatters the insides). As for old parts, really depends on the age of the various components because of the way the technologies change all the time, for example, DDR memory from a P4 or AMD processor isn't going to be compatible with a dual core cpu which requires DDR2 memory.

List what you have and what you want, if you don't know what you have send the service tag from the back of the machine my way and I will look it up on the Dell website and let you know.

There's not really a lot worth saving from old PCs, mobos won't support new chips or have PCI express, RAM will be incompatible, the PSU won't be powerful enough. Carry over disk drives and HDDs though, if they're worth it.

But destroy the HDD? Well... you could format it...

or you could like... smash it. Or poke it with a strong magnet.

Ooh, ooh, you could put it in the microwave! That might start a fire though.

These are literally the specs i pulled from the dell site, this comp is 4 years old now!!!

MAY 27B INTEL PENTIUM 4 PROCESSOR 2.66GH

{DIMENSION 2350} P4 2.60GHZ/512K, INTEGR

256MB 266MHZ DDR RAM MEMORY, (1X256MB)

60GB IDE (7, 200RPM) HARD DRIVE

48X CDRW/DVD COMBO DRIVE

How would I go about taking the hard-drive out and putting it in a new one? I would be ordering a new one from Dell so not too sure how I would do it...

A 60GB IDE HDD is worth keeping IMO. Unless you're getting like... 300GB with your new PC and don't expect to use much of it.

It's really easy to take it out and put it in the new PC. If it's IDE and the new PC has a decent HDD, you'll want this old one to be your slave HDD, so you need to take it out, keep the power cable and IDE cable (unless there's plenty spare in the new PC) and you need to set the jumper so it runs as a slave. There's usually a little guide sticker on the HDD and it's just a case of taking the bit of plastic off and putting it back on another way.

Then you just screw it into the new PC and hook the power and IDE cable back up. If there's not a spare IDE slot (there should be), there's usually one half way along the cable from the DVD drive or similar.

If it doesn't all run fine straight away, you can set up the disk in XP (if you're getting Vista, I don't know about that) using Computer Management in Administrative Tools in CP.

I saw a thing about hard drives on BBC once, quite shocking stuff. Alot of trashed hard drives end up in nigeria and get scimmed proper for data and that, it was unbelievable the sorts of details they were getting from them about people.

FORMATTING THE HARD DRIVE IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

Apparently. I don't know the technical sides of it, but I imagine formatting it just makes it believe everything is writeable/blank space, however there's still an imprint of the data there until it is actually physically re-written. Like when you delete something off the hard drive on your computer, even from the recycle bin, the data should still exist there until the sector is actually written over like. I'd suggest breaking the shit out of it, or hitting it with some massive magnetic pulse(hard drives read/write magnetically, right?). I'd say to be 100% sure it's broken enough too.

Another suggestion, though I dunno if it would work, would be something like a factory restore. How alot of pre-installed computers come these days, with OS and software already installed, and a restore disc with an image of the harddrive. I dunno how much of the harddrive those actually re-write, they might completely restore it to original condition. I remember the BBC documentary saying you could get software that would overwrite the hard drive like.

I guess another option that would theoretically work, is clearing the hard drive completely, then filling it up completely with new data like? Again, I don't know alot about how they work.

Yeah Rummy but if you format and then overwrite those "white/blank" spaces as you refer to them, say completely write the drive with 01010101, then repeat the process (alternately - 10101010) and do it like six times, then its going to be completely gone :D Or as you said an... erm... "magnetic pulse", whatever one of those is :D (set off a nuclear bomb near your HDD, you mean?)

My method of choice would be driving over it. With a truck. Or maybe strapping some C4 to it. If I had C4. Or a truck.

Yeah Rummy but if you format and then overwrite those "white/blank" spaces as you refer to them, say completely write the drive with 01010101, then repeat the process (alternately - 10101010) and do it like six times, then its going to be completely gone :D Or as you said an... erm... "magnetic pulse", whatever one of those is :D (set off a nuclear bomb near your HDD, you mean?)

My method of choice would be driving over it. With a truck. Or maybe strapping some C4 to it. If I had C4. Or a truck.

Actually, he meant just popping a magnet next on top of it (that's what I was told in I.T class, anyway)

EMP matrix stylee! I didn't really mention it as a serious suggestion, I saw some thing on TV once where they were talking about how devastating an EMP would be as some sort of weapon, they got a room and basically did it to a computer, the thing wouldn't boot at all, completely buggered up. I dunno how you'd really go about making one, but getting a magnet and proper molesting up your hard drive with it should help wipe it I imagine. Would waving a magnet around it do a good job of making data on it unrecoverable?