NEurope
Zechs Merquise

Mario Kart Wii

Yes indeed it is :D I did notice you in my last session. You were barraging me with red shells!

Oh good! :grin:

I joined you for a few games and having not palyed in awhile I could not remember whether it was you or not! ^_________^

Sorry for throwing red shells at you! I was a bit annoyed as it was not my evening and every race was going wrong for me! I need to practice again I used to be able to get 1st,2nd or 3rd. :)

Oh good! :grin:

I joined you for a few games and having not palyed in awhile I could not remember whether it was you or not! ^_________^

Sorry for throwing red shells at you! I was a bit annoyed as it was not my evening and every race was going wrong for me! I need to practice again I used to be able to get 1st,2nd or 3rd. :)

I seem to get into first place during the second lap, and then nerves and items get to me and I end up bottling it! So crushing!

I seem to get into first place during the second lap, and then nerves and items get to me and I end up bottling it! So crushing!

THe worst I've ever had is being first for all 3 laps! :) Then on the final 3rd lap I get blue shell followed by a redshell which knocks into the lava (this as in Bowsers castle) and then I get put back on the track in 8th place and get hit by a bullet Bill which put me into 10th place!

I managed to come 9th in the end! But I was not pleased!

THe worst I've ever had is being first for all 3 laps! :) Then on the final 3rd lap I get blue shell followed by a redshell which knocks into the lava (this as in Bowsers castle) and then I get put back on the track in 8th place and get hit by a bullet Bill which put me into 10th place!

I managed to come 9th in the end! But I was not pleased!

Yes I can imagine so! I hate how somethings happen to you at the worst possible moment, creating a combo of pitfalls that drop you right down in the rankings :(

I wish I could play like this but it does piss me off when I get shafted by items in the third lap to end up coming third fourth w/e. I want first damnit!

Yes indeed it is :D I did notice you in my last session. You were barraging me with red shells!

Congratulations, you have just discovered Mario Kart.

I doubt your rating points are saved to the game file in a way that can be reproduced online differently. In other words, your ratings should be saved online too. It would be the saddest thing in the online racing world to resort to that sort of thing though...wouldn't it now? I lost hundreds of points to involuntary disconnections but I've got them back again from just continually racing. That's what it's all about after all...not to get the magical 9999 and never lose...just have a ball racing online and laughing off any minus results.

Hey, I love racing and don;t mind losing points to people better than me, but my score dwindled from 8500 to 7800 due to DCs and it's rather irritating to say the least and has resulted in one broken pad!

Hey, I love racing and don;t mind losing points to people better than me, but my score dwindled from 8500 to 7800 due to DCs and it's rather irritating to say the least and has resulted in one broken pad!

He he, yeah I can believe that! That's kinda my range of up and downs too. Haven't had any DC's for weeks now but I tend to lose points on races with "noobs" meaning that it reverts to 100cc most of the time and I've found that getting into first place and staying ahead of the squabbling pack virtually assures a top 3 place. With 100cc it's easier for everyone to catch up again, especially on the longer tracks and any lead built up is soon eradicated!

As there's no online league as such, I think the ratings points are mostly to ensure that people of a similar ability race together rather than a direct reflection of driving skill. I've been known to beat racers sporting 3 stars and no wheel and in the same session lose to someone who's just a guest! That's what Mario Kart is all about...giving the average driver a chance to feel good about winning if they stick to doing at least 6 races with the same crowd.:smile:

He he, yeah I can believe that! That's kinda my range of up and downs too. Haven't had any DC's for weeks now but I tend to lose points on races with "noobs" meaning that it reverts to 100cc most of the time and I've found that getting into first place and staying ahead of the squabbling pack virtually assures a top 3 place. With 100cc it's easier for everyone to catch up again, especially on the longer tracks and any lead built up is soon eradicated!

As there's no online league as such, I think the ratings points are mostly to ensure that people of a similar ability race together rather than a direct reflection of driving skill. I've been known to beat racers sporting 3 stars and no wheel and in the same session lose to someone who's just a guest! That's what Mario Kart is all about...giving the average driver a chance to feel good about winning if they stick to doing at least 6 races with the same crowd.:smile:

Well, I dropped to 7500 and am now back over 8000 so am happy! I love Mario Kart and don't mind the odd blue shell even, its what Mario Kart is about. But the other day I was on N64 Bowser castle and got hit by 4 blue shells, that is ridiculous.

I think sometimes it strikers the perfect balance, and others it is way over the top!

Congratulations, you have just discovered Mario Kart.

You've obviously never played Super Mario Kart, Double Dash (where shells barey affect you) or even the DS version.

This is the only MK where you get bombardedby items.

yeah prevous MK games where never this bad with items.

BTW has that new competion come up yet?

You've obviously never played Super Mario Kart, Double Dash (where shells barey affect you) or even the DS version.

This is the only MK where you get bombardedby items.

You obviously don't know what you're talking about.

In every Mario Kart (dont remember SMK very well) you go from first to last in a matter of seconds because of items. More racers, the biggest the probability to get hit. Hard to follow?

yeah previous MK games were never this bad with items.

BTW has that new competion come up yet?

Comp3 starts tomorrow June 1...looks intriguing.

In every Mario Kart (dont remember SMK very well) you go from first to last in a matter of seconds because of items. More racers, the biggest the probability to get hit. Hard to follow?

Your knowledge of mario kart is shocking to me...

I Double dash, you could get hit by a red shell, it would BARELY slow you down, infact you can dodge shells altogether thanks to good drifting. The only item that causes pure devastation in DD is the chain chomp (dear god that was a beast) and that's very characte specific.

Same goes for the DS version, although blue shells are quite common (as in, one every race. usually cost you a place or two).

Then there's this one where they increase the probability of racers getting better weapons. That AND the fact that there are more racers make it a badly balanced game. it's hard to deny seeing as they obviously aimed it at the family (remember Regi at E3 last year, 'even you dad can play it' or something) which basically means they want everyone to be in with a chance of winning at any time. Quite different from DD, SMK and to an extent MK:DS where you had to be consistant over an entire race to beat people.

All that matters to me is that it feels like the other ones in that regard, I get hit all the time and I hit all the time, hell if I care if there's more or less recovery time. Also, having played a lot of DD and MK:DS, there's more than 1 blue shell per race.

You say the game has been dumbed down I don't think that all, on the contrary, but then again, we always think differently :P

All that matters to me is that it feels like the other ones in that regard, I get hit all the time and I hit all the time, hell if I care if there's more or less recovery time. Also, having played a lot of DD and MK:DS, there's more than 1 blue shell per race.

You say the game has been dumbed down I don't think that all, on the contrary, but then again, we always think differently :P

The game hasn't been dumbed down? Nintendo made this game for everyone to play...if it hasn't been dumbed down then they've failed. If it has been dumbed down and more people than usual can get into it then they've done well. And i think going by the amount of people i know who have played this game regularly who aren't games, i know what the answer is.

And yes we do think differently, although credit to you, because SOMETIMES you do make SOME good points lol.

This game is really amazing! The introduction of Bikes and the Wii wheel is a good one. Love this game so much!

The game hasn't been dumbed down? Nintendo made this game for everyone to play...if it hasn't been dumbed down then they've failed. If it has been dumbed down and more people than usual can get into it then they've done well. And i think going by the amount of people i know who have played this game regularly who aren't games, i know what the answer is.

And yes we do think differently, although credit to you, because SOMETIMES you do make SOME good points lol.

It's rare but I try :P

I just don't feel that it was dumbed down and the new powersliding mechanics, the stunts and bikes make it feel more...um... complex? Mario Kart already appeals to a wide mainstream audience, they don't really need to do much more. It's not like it's the Brain Training audience they're going after with this, although that kind of games can be a "stepping stone" to this and other traditional games.

I know what Hellfire means when he says the game is more complex. If you play with bikes, then it becomes a comboing affair as you pull you whiil up during straights, then prepare for a jump, shaking the whiil, then powersliding to correct your racing line gaining another boost, then you wheelie down another straight etc. all the while avoiding heavier players bashing you, and that's even before the items get you.

And when it comes to the items being less effective, it may have seemed that way if you were good at snaking. Now that snaking is dead, loosing speed in a race is deadly.

And yeah i have discovered online mario kart recently. Fucking fantastic when you steal the lead in the last seconds of the race by using a mushroom to take hairpin at a rediculously sharp angle across grass. Gotta love this game sometimes.

So who's got the new COMP up then? Try to beat 48 seconds as a guide :heh:

Got 38 seconds...thought it was a good score but then saw people on GoNintendo claiming to have 20 seconds :(

Comp3 starts tomorrow June 1...looks intriguing.

Got 38 seconds...thought it was a good score but then saw people on GoNintendo claiming to have 20 seconds :(

Good grief, it's only the first day and I'm well behind already! I know you have to keep your distance for the first two and then boost in and then try to hit the last two at the same time but even so, 20 seconds is very tight!

i got 29 seconds, thats because the last 2 both hit me at the same time n both fell off, it was only my second attempt lol

Yeah, especially Mario Kart 64, the only reason people feel it's more intense now is that there's an extra 4 racers, meaning a 50% increase on stuff going on!

I'm not very good on the current competition because of trying to hit an item box for the mushrooms.

I don't mind too much about the increase of getting hit by weapons, however if I remember correct I quite liked it in Mario Kart Super Circuit where you couldn't get hit by a red shell if you were going at your maximum speed because the shell could only just keep up. :)