NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Wesley

I played on a Wii for the first time yesterday...

So I'm a big gaming fan and keep up-to-date with all the going ons; but I don't actually own any next-gen consoles. And for the first time yesterday I played on a Wii and I was quite disappointed to start off with... I played Wii Sports and it was so boring... so simple and didn't captivate me at all.

Then I played Resident Evil 4 and that was a little better... controls were hard but then again I guess they would be fine after a bit more playing (especially cause I was a Wii n00b). So basically what I want to know, is do you think based on this I should still buy a Wii? Does anyone else out there really enjoy their Wii but totally hate Wii Sports? normally the fact that I don't like one game wouldn't bother me... but this is a game that people have hyped so much...

Really? The first time I played Wii Sports I got so ridiculously excited, you could describe it as a mild euphoria :heh:. But yeah, it does get boring after a while. Ironic that the best game on the system is a port of a 2 year old Cube game.

I actually really liked Wii Sports so err... 'fraid i can't really help.

To be honest, untill later this year, theres not really much thats fantastic on the Wii. Theres some great games, but nothing thats truely ground breaking.

I love Wii Sports even more then I love myself every night in front of my PC with the lights off.

i think the first time i played wii i was on the verge of passing out i was so excited

Up until now most Wii games are Cube/PS2 ports with Wii controls added in, (some of them are good (Zelda, RE4, ...), some of them are ... not so good) and minigame collections. I think developers (mostly third parties) didn't expect the Wii to be such a succes, and now they're catching up with producing games that are really going to make good use of the idea behind the Wii. I bet you'll be more excited about the Wii after E3. Not only for Metroid, Smash Bros., or Mario, but also for original projects by third party developers.

Patience, good games will come!

So I'm a big gaming fan and keep up-to-date with all the going ons; but I don't actually own any next-gen consoles. And for the first time yesterday I played on a Wii and I was quite disappointed to start off with... I played Wii Sports and it was so boring... so simple and didn't captivate me at all.

Then I played Resident Evil 4 and that was a little better... controls were hard but then again I guess they would be fine after a bit more playing (especially cause I was a Wii n00b). So basically what I want to know, is do you think based on this I should still buy a Wii? Does anyone else out there really enjoy their Wii but totally hate Wii Sports? normally the fact that I don't like one game wouldn't bother me... but this is a game that people have hyped so much...

I think the question to ask is did you play Wii tennis? and did you play multiplayer?

If the answer to those questions are no, I can see where you're coming from.

Well I wasn't too excited by WiiSports either but still found it quite entertaining to test out the new controller. The thing is though that I (as well as many others who post here) got it on launch day so we didn't clearly know what to expect but now there's a lot more footage around of how this works.

I'm surprised you didn't get to grips with the RE4 controls though, they are absolutely fantastic, well apart from the idea that you have to turn with the joystick while aiming.

I think Red Steel is a very good game though to demonstrate the Wii's capabilities (apart from the graphics). It does nothing exceptionally well but you should get a feeling of what one can expect. But you need to give it about 3 hours because it's really boring at first.

It is good to see another person experience the Wii!

I would advise it to anyone, it is already picking up a huge amount of developer support so you can guarantee that there will be games that everyone will enjoy on it, much like the ps2 but only with incredible experiences using controls we can't even dream of!

I am currently loving excite truck! A nice and simple game with simple controls... but with one important factor that makes it great... The game is actually FUN!

I think you would like the Wii. wii Sports isn't really for anyone and the line up of games will surely have plenty to tickle your fancy, it has a great range of genres and third parties are supporting the Wii in numbers.

The real question though is, do you like Nintendo games? Zelda, Metroid, Mario, smash Bros etc are all going to be great but if you don't like Nintendo franchises there is no point in getting one yet. The third party games of top quality will come in 2008, so basically if you want Non-Nintendo games get one in 2008, if not get one now! :P

First time i played Wii Sports was when we got a demo pod in at work... customers were looking in amazment as me and my work mates played. I thought it was fantastic then but of course after a while i got bored of it big time. I'm really needing a new big game for Wii, i think the last time i played on my Wii was about 3 weeks ago :( Metroid prime 3 please

I'm just wondering, did you play wii sports by yourself or with other people? It really isn't a single player game. Best moments I've had with my wii involve twenty people around a projector having a game of wii tennis (or wario ware).

Wii sports is the perfect game to play with people who have never really played games before becaseu its just so easy to pick up and play (and still has a decentish amount of depth)

What I tell most people, when they ask me "should I buy a Wii". I tell them to wait until Xmas time, because there is not much out atm.

I think the question to ask is did you play Wii tennis? and did you play multiplayer?

If the answer to those questions are no, I can see where you're coming from.

I'm just wondering, did you play wii sports by yourself or with other people? It really isn't a single player game.

Yeah I was playing it with my brother and he was excited as Hell and I just didn't get it.

huh :( why do you hate wii sports

most people don't like wii sports because its pretty boring

Yup! It was just so simple, boring and captivating... I also played every single game on Wii Sports.

The real question though is, do you like Nintendo games? Zelda, Metroid, Mario, smash Bros etc are all going to be great but if you don't like Nintendo franchises there is no point in getting one yet. The third party games of top quality will come in 2008, so basically if you want Non-Nintendo games get one in 2008, if not get one now! :P

I love Nintendo franchises... it's the only reason why I want a Wii. Knowing that I won't have the next Mario game makes me feel sad. I totally need to have the next Mario game; if I don't I'll feel dirty.

You're the first guy I've ever known to actually dislike WiiSports. :heh:

Well, so far, I think there are some good games, but the best is definitely yet to come. I can't see a price drop happening, so it probably wouldn't make all that great a difference if you bought one now or in a few months time.

However, when the big games like Mario Galaxy get released, I can see bundles appearing, so you never know.

So far, I'm loving it. Got some great games for the system. Totally in love with Zelda, ExciteTruck and Mario Strikers, and there's a few other titles i'm going to look into getting, such as Resi 4 and The Godfather.

It's a pretty good machine right now, and it's got a great future ahead of it. Imo, it's got a brighter future than both of the other machines, especially as third party support is growing and growing.

Hm, i think you're in the minority if you dont like Wii Sports. Though I can see where you're coming from. There's just so much hype around that game and even to this day there's people buying it just to play Wii Sports. It did set the expectations high.

That said, the game fully met my expectations. I knew there were some quirks in there (Baseball and Boxing comes to mind), but still very enjoyable. As a single player game, it wears off pretty quickly. I played it for 3 weeks and never touched it again. But then came the multiplayer session: wow!

Gather together your friends, family, gamers and all have a great time. Especially Tennis and Bowling. It really a social party game.

But anyway, back to your question. Should you buy a Wii now? I'd wait and see if you didn't like what you see and played thus far. it's true that it lacks a true AAA killer app. Both Zelda and RE4 are awesome games, but no necessarily unique, since it's on GC too. There are many good and enjoyable games out there. Personally, I enjoyed ExciteTruck, Kororinpa, Dragon Ball Z, Red Steel and Mario Strikers a lot.

So yeah, I'd say wait till the end of the year and see what games are on offer. We should start seeing more games that are no more ports with added Wii controls anymore (not necessarily a bad thing), and more build-from-the-ground-up games. Of course, SSBB, Metroid and Mario got everyone's attention.

Tennis, Baseball and Boxing are still a lot of fun in multipalyer.

But bowling and golf I just got bored of by the end of a single playthrough.

Ah, the first time I played the Wii was on the stage at HMV at the launch...1 of 2 people who did!!

Golf = Best thing about wii Sports.

The motion detecting for the putting is absolutely awful.

I find Wii Sports to be pretty shite. I used to play real golf, and found that if you try and swing the wiimote like a club, you just hook it all of the time. Useless.

i don't actually dislike wii spots its ok for showing off the wii to non gamers or having the occasional multiplayer match but after a while it gets boring

wii sports boxing is one of the worst sports games i've ever played thought just because the controls suck

also after playing wii sports bowling for a while and then going 5 pin bowling once i ended up sucking at it (which i didn't before)

wii sports boxing is one of the worst sports games i've ever played thought just because the controls suck

Then you're playing it wrong! I have complete control over my boxer, from gurding to jabbing to uppercuts to combo's!

If you just flail around like a lunatic, they don't work!!

I don't think you should buy the Wii unless there are games that interest you. I bought mine on launch with Zelda and Wii Play and I don't regret it at all, but I had over 6 months after the launch before I finally bought a new game for it, Pangya! Golf With Style, and I like it more than Wii Sports, but in the end it's a pretty simple game too.

If you don't like games like Wii Sports of Wario Ware where you have to waggle around like a maniac, I wouldn't suggest the Wii for you :) There are much better single-player games on other consoles.

Sign in to follow this