NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
gaggle64

Quick! Somebody build an ark! (Official Weather Thread)

we've had thunderstorms and tornado warnings recently where i live

I'm worried that our greenhouse might get washed away by the raging puddle. Well, when I say raging, it's a bit sleepy at the minute ;)

;486596]It was rainy when I was going to and from work' date=' and alright at parts during the day. But I don't mind walking around in the rain really. (Although I did get to work and put my coat on a gondola and don't know if I ever moved it, someone may have stolen it. But thats a different story.)

The weather is reflecting my mood for now. And I know theres a word for that (weather reflecting the mood - used in media) but I can't think what it is. Any help?[/quote']

I'll have you know it's pathetic fallacy, dear boy!

Did I hear that 20 people had to be airlifted from a building in Sheffield?

I'll have you know it's pathetic fallacy, dear boy!

Don't remind me about pathetic fallacy! I ended up making a complaint about my teacher because of it.:(

Man I thought Sheffield would be safe. And I'm heading back there tomorrow. Oh well, a little fear of death ain't stopping me!

*makes a note to go nowhere near the river or city centre*

How can you afford all this stuff?!

I'm glad you guys picked it up :D

Oxford been fairly sunny for weeks. Maybe two days of rain. However I'm going back to scunthorpe soon (it's between Sheffield and hull), so I might possibly see this flooding everyones talking about.

Its nice to see meadowhell is underwater. I bet its ruining all the chav's trainers.

i'm sure it was no where near as bad as the red river flood of 97'

i remember my family having to bring all our stuff from our basement upstairs

fortunatly we were never evacuated

Last time there was bad rain here, there were some ridiculously huge scale landslides which cut off the entire south end's water supply for weeks, and blocked all the roads :(

0014663.jpg

I mean, look how tiny the road looks!

Hundreds flee homes in fear of dam bursting.

Hundreds of people have fled their homes in three villages in South Yorkshire amid fears a dam is about to burst after torrential rain.

Engineers are trying to reinforce the wall holding back the Ulley reservoir near Rotherham after cracks appeared.

I think what's most sobering about this is that compared to the flooding they get in more tropical zones like Africa and Asia it's like a drop in the bucket. Global warming is going to be a barrel of fun.

My town was hit badly last night. Pickering beck burst its banks, all the drains overflowed and people were trapped in thier houses and rescue has to evacuate my market place and take people to my college over night. ITV news has been here since 4 this morning and there's police everywhere

floods_pickering_rescue_400_400x300.jpg

ryedale_travel_flooded_pickering_400_400x300.jpg

pickering_sandbag_lcoverdal_400x300.jpg

rose_pub_pick_lcoverdale_400x300.jpg

Damn, I couldn't go back to Sheffield. Not only are the train services still out, but parts of the M1 have been closed, so I can't even get a bus!

My town was hit badly last night. Pickering beck burst its banks, all the drains overflowed and people were trapped in thier houses and rescue has to evacuate my market place and take people to my college over night. ITV news has been here since 4 this morning and there's police everywhere

Well they beat my photos.

It hasn't rained at all today, yay. Although it is far from blue skies.

Damn, I couldn't go back to Sheffield. Not only are the train services still out, but parts of the M1 have been closed, so I can't even get a bus!

I saw on the news that it was saying 5 hour queues to get into sheffield, and that was last night.

Well they beat my photos.

It hasn't rained at all today, yay. Although it is far from blue skies.

I saw on the news that it was saying 5 hour queues to get into sheffield, and that was last night.

If you want to travel to anywhere from york southwards don't bother, the lines flooded between their and doncaster. The weather is ridiculous, it was the dryest ever April this year and now its the wettest ever June.

There was a little girl trapped last night in my town, the house was filling with water slowly and no-one could get to her, she was only 2 and a half. She was recued eventually though.

There's more bluddy rain tomorrow aswell.

Sheffield:

Teenage boy and a 68-year-old man swept to their deaths by floodwater

900 people evacuated to emergency shelters

Officials estimate "significant damage" to the city

Severe disruption to road and rail transport

I never expected that sort of thing in Sheffield...

Watching a news report, an aerial camera shot showed that someone had the for fought to scrawl all over the roof of their business in white paint before leaving it: "This shop is still alarmed!"

my mum called me, my girlfriend and my sister in an attempt to make sure it wasn't me a) floating down the Sheaf or b) being air-lifted off of tescos.

At freaking 6 in the morning! Silly mums.

Wish the flood had run down the street outside so i could have seen some of it.

And ShroomTy Shortster - if you can't get in for the results, i'll try get them for you with words of power.

Another day or 2 of heavy rain and the West Coast Mainline will be under water about a mile from my house! It's about 1/2 meter above the water level at the moment

Same goes for my work. We were open today but the whole car park was flooded and it won't be long until the shop floor follows suit! Come on rain! I want a few days off with pay :p

Whats the situation in sheffield? When will it be sorted by do you know? I've got to somehow get to Scunthorpe from Oxford on Friday, are they putting on busses instead do you know? sigh.

Ginger_Chris all I know is there's still no trains between Scunthorpe and Sheffield. I have to get a bus from Scunny to Donny then another on to Sheff. Check the nationalrail.co.uk site or the site of your train company for the latest updates :)

And ShroomTy Shortster - if you can't get in for the results, i'll try get them for you with words of power.
I... don't get this at all.

I live on a huuuuge hill so we would never get flooded. Though i'm also not far from the cliffs so a tidal wave might bugger things up...

I love how the news use the term "River Shabba has burst its banks" as if it's some sort of surprise.

Sign in to follow this