N-Europe

Prison Break

Retro_Link

I loved Prison Break back in the day but I do wish they could go back in time and rework things.

First of all, there are far, far too many episodes in one single season. If Breaking Bad taught us anything, it's that less is sometimes more. Season One is some of my favourite television ever (especially the latter few episodes), but Season Two features far, far too many plot twists and unnecessary filler that just serve to drag it out.

22 Episodes in Season One, 22 in Two, 13 in Three (which actually is a great length...) and 22 in Four. That's...a lot of episodes. Far too many.

I'd go back in time, purposefully cut short the length of each season to 13. By that estimation, they wouldn't be breaking out of Prison until the end of Season Two, which a third (and maybe a final season) dealing with their life on the run. Season Two was actually fine with the whole ManHunt thing and I enjoyed that, but it got ridiculous towards the latter third and become too convoluted for its own good. The first half especially is pretty good, actually.

Maybe even put 10 Episodes per season like Game of Thrones. It makes a huge difference, imo.

They should have ended it as originally intended at the end of Season 2. I really enjoyed both those seasons. 3 felt forced and 4 was actually kinda cool in it's own way, but as a conclusion it ultimately ruined everything that had come before.

There are some great moments in three and four that would have been good as its own thing. The writer's strike ruined the last two seasons of the show, no doubt.

William Fichtner/Agent Mahone was the best thing about Season Two. A really awesome character who carried that season. As you say, if they had kept it as a two (or at best, three) season show, it would have benefited from it. It's hard trying to find the content for a 22-episode season, so you get too much filler. A shame because there are some sublime parts in Season Two, just before it gets a bit silly towards the end.

One thing that I didn't like about the show (season 3 and 4 in particular) is that they didn't have the courage to keep certain big characters dead. Two in particular.

They also completely ruined the mystique of 'The Company'... somewhat in S3, but obliterated the organisation in S4. In S1 and 2 they were scary and mysterious. Their agents becoming more and more ruthless. By 4 they seemed like bumbling idiots, run my a guy who couldn't be any less intimidating, out of standard company (ironically) buildings.

My favorite thing about season 4 (and there are so many hilarious things about season 4) was how they tried to make you question whether or not the Company was actually evil. I mean, sure they murdered people in cold blood constantly - they shot Veronica in the face - but it was all for the greater good, goshdarnit. :sad:

Season 1 remains one of my favourite seasons of any TV show. I agree with what people are saying about shortening the seasons but I never felt season 1 dragged tab all. It had me hooked from the first to last episode. Season 2 worked well in places but 3 and 4 were horribly convoluted.

• 9 months later...