NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Mr_Odwin

CPU Benchmark Competition (Windows Users)

mines currently an e6750 which i think ash just did.

I *may* give her an overclock and see how she fairs.

I've reset mine now, back to the original speeds. After talking to Caris i got worried about damaging my RAM, so i'm gonna read up a bit more before i do it properly.

It seems we have a tie.

bench_3_0.jpg

E6750 Overclocked to 3.0GHZ

Started to go downhill after that, so i won't push it any further.

EDIT: Temps staying pretty normal, I wasn't sure if this speed would be sustainable =)

Can someone explain to me, in idiot speak, how to overclock a CPU without making my PC spontaneously combust.

Go into your BIOS and have a look around. Don't change anything until you've read up more (just google stuff) but it's nice to look.

I just shifted my fsb up to 266 (from 200) which meant that it matched my PC4200 RAM. A boost of 33% in clock speed. No extra cooling or anything.

I just changed my fsb from 333 to 350, seemed conservative enough, I have a freezer pro 7 so temps shouldn't go too high. I can probably go higher, but until I know more about this I'll leave it as it is.

Strange but heres my new PC's results, seems nice apart from it restarting all the time. dam dell cpumarkvv0.jpg

First one to test out on an E6850. And look, he doesn't ahve to overclock to get the high score.

I'm beginning to think that this program stops at 11295.4. :-/

I'm going to try overclocking again and see if I can beat you all.

1758. Athlon 64 3200+ (Socket 754 :D), O/C to 2.17GHz.

1758?! I think there's something wrong there. But I'm doing a total upgrade in April which shall include a Core 2 Quad and some overclocking to at least 3GHz :) I'll be pwning you then. It's a shame AMD are so up the creek, I've always been an AMD fan (this one will be the first Intel processor I've owned in 10 years!) But I can't really justify buying Phenom over any of the Core 2s.

i feel the same Problematique, same with ATi, i just dunno what they are up2 really anymore

i was following the Radeon 9000's like they were a cult

after all this X1300 stuff im confused :P

now i got a 8800GTX since GeForce are still going up instead of addin random letters before

ATi confuse you? You're gonna have fun choosing an Nvidia card then :p

Just make sure you don't get one of the old 8800s that are named exactly the same as the new ones, but are slower, run hotter and consume more power...

Just make sure you don't get one of the old 8800s that are named exactly the same as the new ones, but are slower, run hotter and consume more power...

Ooh, do you have any details on that?

The old 8800GTS cards (the 320MB and the 640MB editions) have been replaced by the hugely improved 8800GTS 512MB, if you have £200+ to spend go for one of these.

In terms of power cards pretty much go like this these days:

Nvidia 8800 Ultra

Nvidia 8800 GTX

Nvidia 8800 GTS 512MB

Nvidia 8800 GT 512MB

ATi 3870

Nvidia 8800 GT 256MB

ATi 3850

ATi 2900 Pro

That takes you from about £400 all the way down to £90.

The 8800GT is the best price/performance card on the list, but it's only got a single slot cooler. If you're PC isn't particularly well cooled then go for one with an after market cooler, fit a new cooler yourself or buy an 8800GTS. The stock cooler is also pretty loud as coolers go, whether or not thats noticeable depends on you're case and the location of you're computer. Someone with a setup like mine would notice it, someone with a normal case stored under the desk probably wouldn't.

The ATi cards aren't so powerful for gaming, but they decode HD video better, have AVIVO (video capture) technology and are generally quieter and cooler than the NVidia cards.

Theres no 'best' card to buy at the moment, only the one that best suits you're needs. Ignore the Ultra, GTX and 2900Pro though, they're all bad value for money.

You can take all this with a pinch of salt though, by April the whole thing will have changed. The new Intel and AMD processors will be out, there will have been numerous price drops and refinements and the ATi 3870 X2 (2x3870 on one card) and Nvidia 9800GX2 (2x8800 on one card) will be out.

I'm running an 8800GT (new one i think), no problems with cooling so far, and there's no special cooling equipment in there.

If i wanted i could always attach another fan on the back.

Sign in to follow this