NEurope
Ant-Shimmin

Pro Evolution 2008

My bro has the PS3 version. I hate football, but would totally disagree with that score 'in my opinion' anyway.

WAY too harsh.

The graphics are great, except for the crowd.

Trying playing some ESPN NFL or other sports games. PES is horrible compared to them. The game has gameplay which could have been done on the PSOne.

Lol, Mikey. You are such a pre-teen fanboy sometimes.

The game is nice, been playing it loads and runs well on 360. Still got the PEs magic that puts it way above the generic FIFA.

Mikey there seems to be a few sites and magazines giving the game low scores. even one of the editors on http://www.winningelevenblog.com/2007/10/pes-2008-review-cw-perspective.html gave it a shitty review. I am hoping Seabass and Konami realise that people now want something new and not a PS2 game in HD. I wanna know what Seabass has been doing for 18 months to be honest! Like I have said before, the game still has flaws that were in the PSone games and that is not acceptable. Owen I do not think the graphics are great. Some of the faces are brilliant but the overall graphics look like a PS2/Xbox game.

GamesTM scored it 7/10, Not read review yet but it not suppose to be good. I have cancelled my pre-order for Winning Eleven 2008. not done that in 4 years.

Mikey there seems to be a few sites and magazines giving the game low scores. even one of the editors on http://www.winningelevenblog.com/2007/10/pes-2008-review-cw-perspective.html gave it a shitty review. I am hoping Seabass and Konami realise that people now want something new and not a PS2 game in HD. I wanna know what Seabass has been doing for 18 months to be honest! Like I have said before, the game still has flaws that were in the PSone games and that is not acceptable. Owen I do not think the graphics are great. Some of the faces are brilliant but the overall graphics look like a PS2/Xbox game.

GamesTM scored it 7/10, Not read review yet but it not suppose to be good. I have cancelled my pre-order for Winning Eleven 2008. not done that in 4 years.

Well, your probably right. I'm not a football game fan, or anything.

So i was easily pleased perhaps?! :D

Lol, Mikey. You are such a pre-teen fanboy sometimes.

The game is nice, been playing it loads and runs well on 360. Still got the PEs magic that puts it way above the generic FIFA.

The gameplay in PES was unacceptable in the PS2 era, it was basically a PS1 game tweaked slightly for the entire PS2 generation. The only reason people ever thought it was good was because the competition was even worse. We have the 360 and PS3 around, and now it's even more unacceptable. Flaws from the very first ISS Pro games are still in the game!!!

I gave my copy of PES6 away to a charity shop yesterday, and may give away my entire PES collection which consists of PES 1 - 5 as well. Fuck Pro Evo man, it's crap. Embarassingly bad when compared to other games.

Its being said that FIFA08 is actually better then PES2008 this year. Loads of my mates who are hard core pesfans are telling me that they played the new FIFA and that its much better than PES!

Personally I haven't tried FIFA, so I can't say anything but what I can say is that pes is very disappointing. Yes, it still plays a good game but I can't help expecting more. FIFA seems to have made the leaps and bounds to finally overtake PES as suggested in the latest reviews of both games.

The gameplay in PES was unacceptable in the PS2 era, it was basically a PS1 game tweaked slightly for the entire PS2 generation. The only reason people ever thought it was good was because the competition was even worse. We have the 360 and PS3 around, and now it's even more unacceptable. Flaws from the very first ISS Pro games are still in the game!!!

I gave my copy of PES6 away to a charity shop yesterday, and may give away my entire PES collection which consists of PES 1 - 5 as well. Fuck Pro Evo man, it's crap. Embarassingly bad when compared to other games.

I would love it if you could actuality back up your points with some evidence.

The game has had 8 way directional running since the PS1 days. That pretty much proves my point.

Its being said that FIFA08 is actually better then PES2008 this year. Loads of my mates who are hard core pesfans are telling me that they played the new FIFA and that its much better than PES!

Personally I haven't tried FIFA, so I can't say anything but what I can say is that pes is very disappointing. Yes, it still plays a good game but I can't help expecting more. FIFA seems to have made the leaps and bounds to finally overtake PES as suggested in the latest reviews of both games.

Fifa on the 360 is better than any PES now for sure, but it's far from perfect. They need to work on how the game plays while the ball is in the air a lot for example. Also, dribbling is 8 way directional, while running off the ball isn't. Weird, and disappointing considering it used to be full analog.

I would love it if you could actuality back up your points with some evidence.

I second that.

I've played both the new FIFA and PES, and I'd say PES is better if only for its physics and player movement.

I just did......

Umm.... Where?

Have you actually played it or are you just basing your 'facts' on reviews?

Dear lord I'm terrible at this.

In my first three games in Master League, I won the first 1-0, then lost 3-0 (with 2 red cards) and 2-0 (with one red card). What am I doing wrong?:weep:

Just a note, the last football game I bought was ISS2 on the GC, and before that ISS64. So I'm not really up on the latest stuff, and the two games I have played have the difficulty level of playing a toddler.

Usually I play a 4-5-1 or a 4-3-3, relying mostly on the wingers to cut inside and shoot. Going through the middle isn't really my thing. This means my wingers in the master league get knackered, and I'm buggered.

Help me be not so terrible :blank:

Umm.... Where?

Have you actually played it or are you just basing your 'facts' on reviews?

It has the same dribbling problems that it had during the PS1 games. You can't make small movements, and can only turn at sharp angles. This isn't even mentioning the fact that the passing in this game is completely innaccurate at times. Want me to go on?

It has the same dribbling problems that it had during the PS1 games. You can't make small movements, and can only turn at sharp angles. This isn't even mentioning the fact that the passing in this game is completely innaccurate at times. Want me to go on?

My passing is always accurate... Maybe it's just you?

So have you actually played the game or not?

Please do.

The turning is far better than Fifa's sluggish hold the analogue stick and turn like a train. Sharp turning makes the game quicker. As for passing, not every pass a footballer makes is accurate. You have to accept sometimes it will go wrong, and others its just your own fault for being crap.

Yep, I have, the demo. Considering considering how easy it is to pass to a player you don't even want to, I'd say it's inaccurate. Plus even with manual passing, you can't get the exact height or spin on the ball you want, which stinks.

Please do.

The turning is far better than Fifa's sluggish hold the analogue stick and turn like a train. Sharp turning makes the game quicker. As for passing, not every pass a footballer makes is accurate. You have to accept sometimes it will go wrong, and others its just your own fault for being crap.

So you're basically admitting that even when you've done nothing wrong, the ball will just spray off regardless? I already knew this anyway, considering every pass is predetermined, and the only say you have over it, is the general direction you choose to play it. And no, it's not the speed you turn at which makes the game's dribbling stink, it's the fact there's no inbetween when doing it. Trying to make a gradual run in to space is a nightmare. Don't get me started on trying to cut out balls early either. lol.

Dear lord I'm terrible at this.

In my first three games in Master League, I won the first 1-0, then lost 3-0 (with 2 red cards) and 2-0 (with one red card). What am I doing wrong?:weep:

Just a note, the last football game I bought was ISS2 on the GC, and before that ISS64. So I'm not really up on the latest stuff, and the two games I have played have the difficulty level of playing a toddler.

Usually I play a 4-5-1 or a 4-3-3, relying mostly on the wingers to cut inside and shoot. Going through the middle isn't really my thing. This means my wingers in the master league get knackered, and I'm buggered.

Help me be not so terrible :blank:

Well, there are the usual 'lower difficulty' or 'better team' options. But you could always make yourself in the game, and make him brilliant. ::shrug:

So you're basically admitting that even when you've done nothing wrong, the ball will just spray off regardless? I already knew this anyway, considering every pass is predetermined, and the only say you have over it, is the general direction you choose to play it. And no, it's not the speed you turn at which makes the game's dribbling stink, it's the fact there's no inbetween when doing it. Trying to make a gradual run in to space is a nightmare. Don't get me started on trying to cut out balls early either. lol.

Ball spraying off, is known as poor control. It happens, get over it. Not everyone has the touch of Zidane and the shot of Robert Carlos.

I am the master of cutting out balls, left trigger, sprint a bit and then bam slide. Player blocks the shot/cross/pass.

Maybe its because I have a footballing brain that I can adapt quickly to different scenarios, and not whinge about things that happen in real football.

Though I suppose Fifa's 99-2004 era where every shot curled was the midas touch.. >_>

Well, there are the usual 'lower difficulty' or 'better team' options. But you could always make yourself in the game, and make him brilliant. ::shrug:

Haha, I did. I maxed out all the stats.

Only problem is I can't afford him :p

And I'd feel really dirty if I went down a difficulty...I think I'll just practice in exhibition with Barcelona or something :)

The game has had 8 way directional running since the PS1 days. That pretty much proves my point.

Fifa on the 360 is better than any PES now for sure, but it's far from perfect. They need to work on how the game plays while the ball is in the air a lot for example. Also, dribbling is 8 way directional, while running off the ball isn't. Weird, and disappointing considering it used to be full analog.

Yes that is strange. I thought EA was gonna include 360 movement when dribbling but they never. FIFA 08 animations are very good though so they hide it very well.

As for physics I think FIFA 08 my be better than PES 2008. in FIFA for example deflections can really go anywhere like in real life. In PES 2008 deflections just like in the PSone game seem to only go one direction. You notice that 9 times out of 10 defelections always end up landing at the CPU's feet. Sometimes you can hit the ball against CPU's legs at the halfway line and the ball goes out for a throw in. proper strange!

how about the 100mph crosses. the double tap crosses in PES 2008 are well fast. the physics are all over the place and have gone backwards. they were better in the old games.

Plus FIFA's manual passing/shooting craps all over the scripted system in PES.

Ball spraying off, is known as poor control. It happens, get over it. Not everyone has the touch of Zidane and the shot of Robert Carlos.

I am the master of cutting out balls, left trigger, sprint a bit and then bam slide. Player blocks the shot/cross/pass.

Maybe its because I have a footballing brain that I can adapt quickly to different scenarios, and not whinge about things that happen in real football.

Though I suppose Fifa's 99-2004 era where every shot curled was the midas touch.. >_>

You're wearing me out.

You don't get a say in whether each pass or shot is going to be accurate, it's all predetermined by the cpu. The game is automatic, and lacks freedom because it's all digital, and not analog. The only thing which is analog, is the manual passing, but you can't even decide how to spin the ball, or give it's height even on that. In other words, even the one thing you even get to have a real say in which direction the ball goes, is completely limited..

Also, you are mistaking me for some sort of Fifa fanboy. The last time I bought a Fifa was in '99. Fifa 08 isn't exactly perfect either, I have issues with that game too. Better than PES though.

Yes that is strange. I thought EA was gonna include 360 movement when dribbling but they never. FIFA 08 animations are very good though so they hide it very well.

As for physics I think FIFA 08 my be better than PES 2008. in FIFA for example deflections can really go anywhere like in real life. In PES 2008 deflections just like in the PSone game seem to only go one direction. You notice that 9 times out of 10 defelections always end up landing at the CPU's feet. Sometimes you can hit the ball against CPU's legs at the halfway line and the ball goes out for a throw in. proper strange!

how about the 100mph crosses. the double tap crosses in PES 2008 are well fast. the physics are all over the place and have gone backwards. they were better in the old games.

Plus FIFA's manual passing/shooting craps all over the scripted system in PES.

While the physics are off in PES, it's the lack of control and freedom which makes the game suck. 100mph crosses are fine, as long as you have a control system which has enough depth, and gives the player enough control to make them less hard. My main problem with PES is just the lack of control. It was just acceptable in the PS1 days, and just barely acceptable in the PS2 days, but not now. There's really no excuse.

You're wearing me out.

You don't get a say in whether each pass or shot is going to be accurate, it's all predetermined by the cpu. The game is automatic, and lacks freedom because it's all digital, and not analog. The only thing which is analog, is the manual passing, but you can't even decide how to spin the ball, or give it's height even on that. In other words, even the one thing you even get to have a real say in which direction the ball goes, is completely limited..

Also, you are mistaking me for some sort of Fifa fanboy. The last time I bought a Fifa was in '99. Fifa 08 isn't exactly perfect either, I have issues with that game too. Better than PES though.

While the physics are off in PES, it's the lack of control and freedom which makes the game suck. 100mph crosses are fine, as long as you have a control system which has enough depth, and gives the player enough control to make them less hard. My main problem with PES is just the lack of control. It was just acceptable in the PS1 days, and just barely acceptable in the PS2 days, but not now. There's really no excuse.

Mate, it's just you I think. My crosses are accurate and generally go at the speed I want them to. If you want to loft in a high cross you hold down RT of if you want a faster one you can double tap X or even manually power it up.

If you want to complain about something, go for the shocking online code.

Again, you are not getting full control over the ball. Double tapping X and having the ball go faster isn't total control. There are different strengths, but it's still all digital. Things like wanting to chip a short ball with back spin are impossible in PES, because the control system just doesn't have the depth. Even the manual aspects of PES are dreadful, and limited. The entire gameplay engine needs to be scrapped, and started over.

Again, you are not getting full control over the ball. Double tapping X and having the ball go faster isn't total control. There are different strengths, but it's still all digital. Things like wanting to chip a short ball with back spin are impossible in PES, because the control system just doesn't have the depth. Even the manual aspects of PES are dreadful, and limited. The entire gameplay engine needs to be scrapped, and started over.

If you want full control over the ball, get a ball, get some friends and go play football. Remember this is a game limited to the use of a few control sticks and buttons. Can you imagine how difficult and complex the game would become if every shot you had to chose where to kick, the speed, the angle, the air flow, the height, the circumference of the sun when parallel to Saturn while Mickey Mouse wanks off to Wayne Rooney.

I'm not saying PES doesn't have its faults, because no game is perfect, I just feel your looking to far into finding errors. It's acceptable to say Konami haven't done a great deal between PES6 and 2008, but its not a crime competitors haven't made. And PES2008 is still a wholesome and completely satifsying football experience, even if the online is laggy as fuck. Which I've been informed by Konami they are working on.