N-Europe

Vista Thread

Guest Jordan

I got it in the post this morning. (Home Premium)

I'm no good at this sort of thing so can anyone tell or point me in the direction of how I am able to upgrade my XP to the new one without losing anything...?

Aha I am blind! I have a smallish guide that came with it. Now the hard part is backing everything up...

Easy!

JUst load up xp as normal. Insert vista disk, and after a view options and stuff, you'll grt a screen that says either clean or in place upgrade.

Dont boot from the disk, if u do, u can only do a clean

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or is it in fact that Vista has been built to be almost certainly compatible with most small apps designed for 2000/xp?

Not sure. I've only had one experiance installing an XP-only program - the Nintendo WiFi USB Connector & Drivers. If you just open the installer, you get a message telling you that your OS is not supported. Run the installer in XP Compatability mode, it installs the program and drivers, and they work fine (suprisingly). It may just be a one-off case, though.

Oh and btw, it took 4 hours to copy my music collection!! lol.

Took me a few minutes to put my music on my new computer. External Harddrives are ace!

Guest Stefkov

Got it up and running. A disk came with it from Toshiba with all the drivers and such. Not stuck with a 1024 x 768 resolution now. Pretty 1440 x 900 :)

How do I go about doing that print screen thing, it has a red border or something? No instructions came with it...

I know it won't have all the bells and whistles that you guys have but do you think Vista Home Basic is better than XP? I saw ebuyer had a £10 discount so it makes it £35 (OEM) which makes it seem pretty good.

The only thing I am really bothered about is game support and if Basic is limited on that front.

The only thing I am really bothered about is game support and if Basic is limited on that front.

A few games can be a problem. I've only tried a few so far:

Half-Life 2 (and related stuff) - Works fine

Prey - Needed to install new ATI drivers, and it needs to be run as an administrator, other than that it runs fine

Hitman Blood Money - Works fine

Star Trek Bridge Commander - Won't install, but you can install on a computer with XP, then move the files across to the computer with Vista, then it runs fine.

I would save for premium.

Yes. Basic is the 360 Core of Vista.

I've downloaded the Vista Upgrade Advisor and it said the only thing that was up to Home Premium was my memory. I have 512MB however it is only one stick, I might be wrong but I thought you have to have a pair for it work right.

Would it run anyway with my current RAM? or would it have to have 1GB?

I only play through Steam or Guild Wars so at least I've got css :D

Yeah I will do that then. I've got a USB stick which should give me a boost.

About the OEM version I know it is for system builders but how does it work if you already have XP installed? I didn't think it would have a upgrading process so I assume it just wipes everything?

Guest Stefkov

What's the highest number you can get on that Windows Experience Index thing.

I've got a 4.3, only because of my hdd doesn't write quick enough or something.

Highest is 5.9. I've got 4.1, due to processor speed and "Gaming Graphics"

Edit: This thread should be changed to the Vista thread.

One thing thats great is Mobile Phones - Its very, very, very fiddly to get a phone (via USB) to properly connect to a PC with XP. I just plugged my SE k800i into my PC with Vista - It installed some "Generic USB mass storage device" drivers, and I can open the phones files and the memory card in a phone just like any old Memory Card. Excellent.

Guest Jordan

I got 4.4 because i have slow assed DDR2 553mhz on single channel... :(

Everything else on my system is 5.5 or above.

One thing thats great is Mobile Phones - Its very, very, very fiddly to get a phone (via USB) to properly connect to a PC with XP. I just plugged my SE k800i into my PC with Vista - It installed some "Generic USB mass storage device" drivers, and I can open the phones files and the memory card in a phone just like any old Memory Card. Excellent.

I have the opposite problem. Ive now taken to using infa-red because the USB keeps buggering up!

I've downloaded the Vista Upgrade Advisor and it said the only thing that was up to Home Premium was my memory. I have 512MB however it is only one stick, I might be wrong but I thought you have to have a pair for it work right.

Would it run anyway with my current RAM? or would it have to have 1GB?

I only play through Steam or Guild Wars so at least I've got css :D

Im running Premium on 512MB RAM, works fine. Need to turn Aero off though :(

Guest Stefkov
I got 4.4 because i have slow assed DDR2 553mhz on single channel... :(

Everything else on my system is 5.5 or above.

Holy crap!

My highest is 4.7 for the processor speed. Other 3 are 4.5...I had 2GB of RAM and only a 4.5. How much you got?

You got the 8800 graphics card, so no surprises there.