N-Europe

Vista Thread

Guest Jordan

I've been using vista for quite awhile now, and ive had none of the above.

I've not had a security update for quite awhile (its set to auto update and i manualy check the installed updates and scan for newer ones a few times a week).

I have a high spec machine and nothing on or about it is clunky, i find it very smooth.

Admittedly i had one or two problems with a few drivers when i first got it, but they all got sorted out within one or two weeks, and everything is fine now.

Is the auto update thing set so it updates as soon as there's an update? One thing I like about OS X is the way you can set it so that the software update runs once a week, rather than installing updates and having to restart all the time. Does Vista have an option to do that?

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love how many Vista 'experts' in this thread don't actually use the OS.

Correct me if im wrong but everyone in this thread that has upgraded is happy, doesnt that tell you something about how good Vista is? There are so many BS rumours going around that are picked up as fact by the clueless

Agreed, and OS X isn't as secure as everyone says. (Theres been 25 security patches in the last week IIRC).

Office also gets more bad comments than it deserves (as it's a popular choice on Windows and Mac).

Guest Jordan

Correct me if im wrong but everyone in this thread that has upgraded is happy, doesnt that tell you something about how good Vista is? There are so many BS rumours going around that are picked up as fact by the clueless

Couldn't have said it better myself.

It tells you that people are satisfied with the incremental improvements that vista improves xp by. Also if people didn't like vista, they wouldn't use the OS; you can walk into any high street computer retailer and try out a PC with Vista. I still think vista isn't close to what it should and could be and that microsoft haven't done anything truely special with it.

Guest Jordan
It tells you that people are satisfied with the incremental improvements that vista improves xp by. Also if people didn't like vista, they wouldn't use the OS; you can walk into any high street computer retailer and try out a PC with Vista. I still think vista isn't close to what it should and could be and that microsoft haven't done anything truely special with it.

Err... What?

And yet Apple release their new versions of their OS every year or so and charge for it, rather than with Windows where we get service parks for free.

Err... What?

And yet Apple release their new versions of their OS every year or so and charge for it, rather than with Windows where we get service parks for free.

if you total up the prices OS X does cost a bit more than a clean install of XP if you got OS X when it first came out but it depends on when you bought your mac and what OS version its running, but it does has more in built features, and its up to you if you upgrade to get those extra features or not. plus student discount on it :yay:

Name 3 things more they could have done.

Why can't Mac fans get the point, that Vista is actually

Very Fast

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/29/xp-vs-vista/index.html

I know that the argument was meant for mac users but couldn't help myself...

Very Sleek

If I wanted sleek, I would get a mac. You get a computer that's sleek too that way :p

Sophisticated

:blank:

Wether it is just an upgrade on XP is irrelevant, Vista is awesome, those who are using the system know that

Well I don't really care what you guys use, because it's as pointless as discussing which is better, pizza or pasta. But personally I think that it's a bit too early to move to vista.

And then there's this: http://alkyproject.blogspot.com/ if that works I won't be switching to vista anytime soon.

UPDATE

I tried the in place upgrade, it worked, and then when trying to load it up for the first time there was som form of massive error. So I booted up from the disk instead and did a clean install. It now works like a dream

Its a great OS, great looking, the wmp is great and so are the masses of options available to me.

The only downside is I lost ALL of my files. All I have left is my frigging ict coursework(which is 2 says late btw lol)

Oh well, a new(empty), a new start.

Thanks for all the help!!

I see where you're coming from but Vista is still the most solid OS on the market.

There really is no debating that:

1. Its stable

2. Its secure

3. Its reasonably user friendly

4. It has the sort of universal compatability that only a Windows system can offer

I prefer Windows over OS X and Linux because its simply a case of whatever software/hardware you buy it just works. Wrap this up with the rest and imo we have a winner!

UPDATE

I tried the in place upgrade, it worked, and then when trying to load it up for the first time there was som form of massive error. So I booted up from the disk instead and did a clean install. It now works like a dream

Its a great OS, great looking, the wmp is great and so are the masses of options available to me.

The only downside is I lost ALL of my files. All I have left is my frigging ict coursework(which is 2 says late btw lol)

Oh well, a new(empty), a new start.

Thanks for all the help!!

Tis a bugger isnt it! I did the same(ish) except i broke XP before i bought Vista and therefore had to do a clean install anyway

Look on the bright side, you now get to re-rip you're whole music collection! :shakehead

Last post from me in this thread- honest!!!

switch-i really can't see how vista is the most 'solid' OS on the market, you still need all the protection you can get and yes it comes with built in firewall that has been improved over xp etc. I give you the fact it can run more stuff than OS X nativly but with Paralelles it runs whatever XP and maybe Vista can, but yes you'll need to install the OS which brings with it all the faults and postivies of the OS.

A Mac allows me the best of both worlds, the nice UI, easy to use nature, great features and reliability with the option of gaining the back catalogue of XP and VIsta games if i so wish, even though this would mean installing anti viruses and firewalls etc. i have the choice.

I'm really bored now, windows is still windows, and will be for the forseable future, it'll always have the same problems and probably the same plus sides. I've made my choice, i'm very happy with it, and i hope Haggis is happy with his, and will be for the next however many years.

switch-i really can't see how vista is the most 'solid' OS on the market, you still need all the protection you can get and yes it comes with built in firewall that has been improved over xp etc. I give you the fact it can run more stuff than OS X nativly but with Paralelles it runs whatever XP and maybe Vista can, but yes you'll need to install the OS which brings with it all the faults and postivies of the OS.

A Mac allows me the best of both worlds, the nice UI, easy to use nature, great features and reliability with the option of gaining the back catalogue of XP and VIsta games if i so wish, even though this would mean installing anti viruses and firewalls etc. i have the choice.

I'm really bored now, windows is still windows, and will be for the forseable future, it'll always have the same problems and probably the same plus sides. I've made my choice, i'm very happy with it, and i hope Haggis is happy with his, and will be for the next however many years.

I wasnt arguing against the Mac, the Mac is great! The only problem i have with Macs is Apple and their 'Its my ball and you're not playing with it' policy regarding hardware. If they dropped that i'd be running OS X as my day-to-day OS with Vista for Media Center, games and other stuff

Its Windows compatability with just about any piece of hardware coupled with its ease of use, stability and security that made me call it the most solid OS around

Guys' date=' we all know who the real winner is.[/quote']

Msdos622.jpg

Brings back memories of my first PC :weep:

I haven't used a firewall or antivirus since XP service pack2 and had/have no security problems what so ever.

What I don't like about Apple (not Mac), its this cool godly attitude.

"Oh Hi! I'm a perfectly normal guy that has a job to feed his family and uses a tie for work."

"Oh Hello! I'm stubborn young adult who refuses to grow up and get a job, so I don't need any of those spreadsheets and might as well get a more expensive computer that does less than a PC, but some extensive marketing campaigns said it looked cooler."

We should honestly Have a Vista thread, where people who are using Vista, post problems they have had, or any eperiences they wish to discuss..

This whole Mac v PC thing, get's on my tits to be honest, I have always used a PC and have never been tempted to get a Mac.

If you know your stuff about internet software and computer hardware, and know how to Use a PC to an advanced degree and get the most out of it.

The PC is perhaps one of the most reliable things you can have.

Vista is indeed very promising, and I will be upgrading my PC in 6 months to get Even more out of it

The main reason I'm staying away from Vista, after money perhaps, is that I am always using lots of little applications, pieces of 3rd party software written for one or two very specific purposes like notifications, automatic shutdowns, download management, file tagging/organising/locking, video file splitting/joining/converting, and of course games and software from my phone, camera etc.. It just doesn't seem like the world is catching up very fast and making Vista compatible versions of everything.

Or is it in fact that Vista has been built to be almost certainly compatible with most small apps designed for 2000/xp?

Or is it in fact that Vista has been built to be almost certainly compatible with most small apps designed for 2000/xp?

Yes and no. You can install stuff in 'compatability mode' for other Windows OS's but its not really to be relied upon. Ive used it for a fair few programs, most worked fine but some buggered up completely

Tis a bugger isnt it! I did the same(ish) except i broke XP before i bought Vista and therefore had to do a clean install anyway

Look on the bright side, you now get to re-rip you're whole music collection! :shakehead

Tis' yeh!!!

Windows XP was the WORST operating system I have ever owned (since its release). It always either broke my pc's, malfunctioned, had shite security and well just generally sucked.

Windows vista so far is working amazingly on my pc, i love it. Its so easy to connect to the interent with it, and connecting to portable divices and syncing them is so easy!!

Oh and btw, it took 4 hours to copy my music collection!! lol.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Stefkov

I got it in the post this morning. (Home Premium)

I'm no good at this sort of thing so can anyone tell or point me in the direction of how I am able to upgrade my XP to the new one without losing anything...?

Aha I am blind! I have a smallish guide that came with it. Now the hard part is backing everything up...