NEurope

There's one or two (such as the Nokia 5800), however everything seems to be 24 months.

nokia 5800 is fab.

but 24 month contracts are evil. I'd find it hard enough waiting 18 months!

Tried to get the desire on t-mobile. Seems like there are serious supply issues. Decided to just get my PAC code and go. Now what networks would you guys recommend?

I've found t-mobiles reception to be pretty crap often with me having 1-2 bars of reception depending on where I am in the house. It could be down to my handset but I'm just after something that works.

Tried to get the desire on t-mobile. Seems like there are serious supply issues. Decided to just get my PAC code and go. Now what networks would you guys recommend?

I've found t-mobiles reception to be pretty crap often with me having 1-2 bars of reception depending on where I am in the house. It could be down to my handset but I'm just after something that works.

I find o2 to be "generally" good, but then i'm in northern ireland! Vodafone is hideously bad here, but then its just a postcode lottery really!

You should fish around your mates/workmates/classmates or neighbours, ask what network they are with and how they find the connection!

I got my HTC HD2 in the post today (after ordering it yesterday at around lunch time - DHL are pretty damn speedy!!!)

Aw man its scary, i'm struggling to get to grips with it and im a techy-freak. Its got soooooo much damn stuff. The twitter app is sexual. The screen is huge. I loveeeeeeeeeeeeee it <3

I moved from T-Mobile to Vodafone and certainly can't complain. Better signal (just been upgraded again as well), better CS, better price plan. The only thing that's actually worse than when I was with T-Mo is my data allowance has gone down. No real issue though, I've never gone over 512MB. Even now I've got an iPhone and I'm streaming music and YouTube stuff I've still only gone through 850MB over 3 bills.

The best operator is very subjective though, all of them suck for coverage in some areas and all of them have customer service horror stories. Check the coverage maps, ask people you know and go in store and ask them to show you how much signal they have on their handset (the manager in the Voda store was happy to do this when I joined, though I think he just wanted to show off his handset :p). Basically, go with the one with the best coverage local to you, rather than whoever people recommend on here.

Any other suggestions for handsets I can buy unlocked for under £200? 5800 looks great (thanks for the suggestion) but I have a couple of weeks to decide so am exploring options :)

Would you be looking for new or used ones?

Edit: That reminds me. I still need to sell my 5800. Unfortunately it is currently locked to 3.

Would you be looking for new or used ones?

Edit: That reminds me. I still need to sell my 5800. Unfortunately it is currently locked to 3.

New, sorry :heh: It's going to be a gift.

A quick Google shows that the HTC Tattoo is around £200 new and unlocked, which may be worth checking out.

The Samsung S5600 seemed nice when I handled it.

But it would come in well under budget I reckon.

saw someone in lectures today, had the nokia N900.. looked nice! Until he folded out the stand and placed it on the desk while looking like he was king of the world... then it didnt look so nice..

Any other suggestions for handsets I can buy unlocked for under £200? 5800 looks great (thanks for the suggestion) but I have a couple of weeks to decide so am exploring options :)

Depends what you're looking for.

The Nokia 6303 Classic is a great classic style phone, owned one for a few months and it's really quite impressive (Build quality puts mobiles at 5 times it's cost to shame! Solid, cold metal).

http://www.trustedreviews.com/mobile-phones/review/2010/03/08/Nokia-6303-Classic/p1

HTC's Tattoo is pretty cheap now;

http://www.play.com/Mobiles/Mobile/4-/11718765/HTC-Tattoo-Android-Sim-Free-Unlocked-3-1-Megapixel-Mobile-Phone/Product.html?&_$ja=tsid:11518|cc:|prd:11718765|cat:Mobile+

http://www.trustedreviews.com/mobile-phones/review/2009/11/09/HTC-Tattoo-Android-Smartphone/p1

Not used one myself, but seems good for the money.

Sony have the X10 Mini on it's way too. Rumour is around £200 sim-free, but release date is sketchy at the moment. Could be a while...

Edited by McPhee

Thinkin of gettin a new phone for a bit now, gonna go out and get a decent one for once, but not sure what to get, i'm on o2 and wanna upgrade and am looking for something with wi-fi cos i dont want to use any pay system for the internet since i'll be near wi-fi the whole time

Sooo apprently my 18 month contract is finally coming to an end this month and I want to be able to ask for a snazzy new phone!

I don't actually know all that much about phones, been looking at a blackberry, maybe a touch screen, but I'm not sure which is best. I text alot, would prefer the internet for a change.

I have to stay with orange, but the contracts all look so expensive. Any ideas (help the noobie?)

What contract are you currently on?

Edit: Carphone Warehouse have a Pink HTC Hero for £25 a month (the contract includes internet - I would definitely not recommend having an Android phone without internet included in the contract).

Edited by Cube

I'd quite like a blackberry because of free IMing and that as most of my friends have one but the cameras are crap and I don't think I could go back to non-touch screen (I know there is a model but too pricey for me). Damn you RIM!

If you need messaging the meebo app for android (maybe iphone has one too) lets you use pretty much any instant messaging service. The only thing you'll need is data access which most plans come with.

That include BBIM? As far as I'm aware its just an inbuilt client for blackberries which makes it free. Its not like I need IMming on the go, but the people I text the most have blackberries so it could work out cheaper.

What contract are you currently on?

Edit: Carphone Warehouse have a Pink HTC Hero for £25 a month (the contract includes internet - I would definitely not recommend having an Android phone without internet included in the contract).

I couldn't actually tell you, its a £15 a month contract with orange that has unlimited texts and 200 minutes for 18 months. But I can't seem to find it on the orange website.

EDIT: why oh why everytime I ask for help on the tech boards it leads to something being pink, god I hate pink :P

Give into the gender encoding!

I hate how since they got the iPhone years ago O2 have become such cocks. Gone are the times when they'd want to keep people on. I've been with them for many years and it still costs me a good deal more to upgrade with them then it would be to switch to a different provider. They just don't seem to care.

I would just say grab your pac code and go. As long as you can keep your number moving is easier than telling everyone you know they can't contact you on the number you used to have. I'm sure that Ofcom is trying to make it easier for people to keep their number by reducing the porting time to hours instead of days.

EDIT: why oh why everytime I ask for help on the tech boards it leads to something being pink, god I hate pink :P

Purely coincidence. I looked for the cheapest HTC Hero on Orange with unlimited internet and that one was it.

They've got the HTC Tattoo on at £20 a month. The BlackBerry Curve 8520 is probably the best phone free at £15 a month but there really is a massive difference between BlackBerrys and Android phones.

I've also noticed that pretty much every contract under £30 a month is now 24 months.