NEurope

Just rang t-mobile to tell them I wanted to jump ship and was getting an n900 on vodafone was somewhat surprised as they didn't even try to keep me! The bloke just said fair enough its a cracking phone and sounds like your getting a good deal.

They probably wouldn't be able to give you a better deal anyway. All their contract based price plans and phone options are in the air at the moment. Combi flex and solo are being replaced, probably to make provisions for when they go T-orange

They probably wouldn't be able to give you a better deal anyway. All their contract based price plans and phone options are in the air at the moment. Combi flex and solo are being replaced, probably to make provisions for when they go T-orange

Yeah the bloke said as he was tapping away on computer he asked out of interest what phone and what network and he just went "ah yeah you can get some good deal and its a nice handset the n900" so he obviously knew he couldn't offer me anything that would change my mind.

You've got to admit it's a bit of a brick! You could get a small family car which still pales i size to the HD2.

Yeah but it doesn't bother me, I'm use to holding big things anyway, eh eh ;)

lol but yeah I agree, I wouldn't really call it a brick but it is pretty big though unbelievably thin. I usually carry it in my jacket's inside pocket.

the n900 is quite big and chunky aswell (from the pics) but I don't care it is on the way in the post to me :) :) :)

Had my iPhone for a day now and I'm quite liking it. Everyone already knows the plus points, they're quite apparent. On the negative side though I'm finding signal strength and battery life to be very shoddy (worst I've ever had on a mobile sort of bad) and the screen is pretty 'meh' (used better, used worse).

I'll stick with it for a bit, but I can see me moving to something else by the summer.

Well I've had my N900 for a day and love it so far. Took me nearly all day to find a remotely good way of getting my itunes songs moved over....and even now the odd song comes up that says "cannot find media file" even though its clearly there but nevermind.

Aside from that love the phone, love the four desktops stuff it works really well and they are dynamic and alterable. Only slightly annoying thing is it doesn't connect very well to my router, dropping off unless i'm in the same room as it...

Theres been a lot of movement this week, with 3 firmware updates and Ovi Store for N900 going live and there is a very lively community for Maemo and plenty of people releasing stuff they've made and a good testing bed so if you wanna you can download testers versions of apps etc...

The multitasking is amazing!!!

Im thinking I might get a new phone soon, im on Pay as You Go and dont really want to spend too much. What would you guys say is the best phone under £100 at the moment? (Its kind of sad me asking this, I used to know all about mobiles :weep:)

Well I've had my N900 for a day and love it so far. Took me nearly all day to find a remotely good way of getting my itunes songs moved over....and even now the odd song comes up that says "cannot find media file" even though its clearly there but nevermind.

Aside from that love the phone, love the four desktops stuff it works really well and they are dynamic and alterable. Only slightly annoying thing is it doesn't connect very well to my router, dropping off unless i'm in the same room as it...

Theres been a lot of movement this week, with 3 firmware updates and Ovi Store for N900 going live and there is a very lively community for Maemo and plenty of people releasing stuff they've made and a good testing bed so if you wanna you can download testers versions of apps etc...

The multitasking is amazing!!!

Omg. *Runs out and thieves an N900* I think i'm going to end up buying this sim free or something and getting a sim only contract since It's only really on Vodaphone atm... Hurry up T-mobile/ Orange I want this phone >.<.

I need a new phone to replace my dying D600e. I was looking to get the motorola milestone. But then oh no Motorola brings out another device that blows it out of the water. MOTOROI

Omg. *Runs out and thieves an N900* I think i'm going to end up buying this sim free or something and getting a sim only contract since It's only really on Vodaphone atm... Hurry up T-mobile/ Orange I want this phone >.<.

I think you might be waiting a while when I rang t-mobile to cancel my current contract the bloke said he didn't expect them to be offering the phone for at least 6 months.

I need a new phone to replace my dying D600e. I was looking to get the motorola milestone. But then oh no Motorola brings out another device that blows it out of the water. MOTOROI

Oh yeah, the phone with the bulge. Is it just happy to see you, or what?

I think you might be waiting a while when I rang t-mobile to cancel my current contract the bloke said he didn't expect them to be offering the phone for at least 6 months.

:( that sucks, by the time that happens i'll have seen another phone I want. It took me so long to decide on the N900 as I always see the next new thing :P. Looks like i'll end up getting it sim free with a sim only contract :/. How's the battery life on it? I read it's not long, especially when IM's are signed in on it.

A heads-up for anyone with a Nokia (Symbian) phone: All the features of OVI Maps are now completely free.

A heads-up for anyone with a Nokia (Symbian) phone: All the features of OVI Maps are now completely free.

except no details on n900 compatibility so far :(

And last time I checked add to that N97

That's odd. I thought that the N97 was the 5800 with a keyboard and compass.

That's odd. I thought that the N97 was the 5800 with a keyboard and compass.

Read it on Engadget:

Update 3: And it's official. Starting today, Ovi Maps walk and drive navigation is free across the globe. Drivers receive turn-by-turn voice guidance including lane assistance, traffic information (in 10 countries including the US), and safety camera and speed warnings while pedestrians will be guided on shortcuts through parks and pedestrian-only zones in over 100 cities across the globe. It all works offline too, which should extend battery life and keep that navigation humming even while puttering about in data dead zones without racking up international roaming charges (take that, Google). From March 2010, all new Nokia GPS-enabled smartphones will come installed with the new Ovi Maps application and pre-loaded with local country map data and walk and drive navigation with access to location-aware Lonely Planet and Michelin travel guides at no extra cost. Additional premium guides like a weather service and events / movies are also included. Just 10 devices from Nokia's massive catalog are available today -- a list that includes the N97 Mini, 5800 XpressMusic, 5800 navigation edition, E52, E55, E72, 5230, 6710 navigator, 6730 classic and X6.

So what's missing? The N97 and N900 of course. Find out why after the break.

In a call with Michael Halbherr, Nokia's VP of Social Location, we were told that the new Ovi Maps would arrive on the flagship N97 very shortly. It's currently a "software logistics issue" related to the maturity of the N97 device. N900 owners shouldn't hold their breath, though, as Nokia is focusing on bringing its free navigation service to the next generation of Maemo devices. That's not to say that the N900 won't get it eventually, only that it's not currently on the roadmap.

Ouch, a punch in the face

Im thinking I might get a new phone soon, im on Pay as You Go and dont really want to spend too much. What would you guys say is the best phone under £100 at the moment? (Its kind of sad me asking this, I used to know all about mobiles :weep:)

I am like you on this. Use to be big into mobiles but totally lost interest and moved onto PMP's. I love the look of some of the new phones out there but I don't do contracts and the offline prices for them are silly. I once dropped £250 on Sony Ericsson when I was younger and I am never spending that kinda money on a phone again. I have a very good PMP so I only need a phone for talking and texting so I use to have the LG cookie as that was only about £60 but I lost it and didnt want to buy it again so I bought a HTC Diamond II clone from China instead as that offers me GPS also. :)

I think the LG cookie or Samsung Tocco light are probably the best around for under £100 dude. You can get the Nokia 5530 for about £110 if you look hard enough.

Edited by khilafah

Cheers for the heads up :) I had a bit of trouble installing it mind. My phone is branded 3 and wouldn't allow me to update the firmware (thus couldn't install the new Ovi maps). I ended up having to debrand my phone in order to install the new update. It all works well now though :)

Cheers for the heads up :) I had a bit of trouble installing it mind. My phone is branded 3 and wouldn't allow me to update the firmware (thus couldn't install the new Ovi maps). I ended up having to debrand my phone in order to install the new update. It all works well now though :)

I had to change the product code for the v40 firmware (the one with mostly kinetic scrolling).

Read it on Engadget:

Ouch, a punch in the face

WTF?!! Their highest spec phone they have at the moment and they aren't giving it one of the key new Ovi features makes you wonder...I don't get why they are making Maemo iterative and creating new versions at such a fast rate...Why not support the current version and just upgrade that rather than creating a new system when stuff isn't even up and running on the current version.

Just thought flameboy and any others with an N900 might be interested in this.

http://blog.mozilla.com/blog/2010/01/29/firefox-for-maemo-now-available/

Sounds good to me xD why don't you give it a try and let us know if it's any better than using the browser that comes with it.

I'll give it a download have to say it'll have to do something very special to beat the outta box browser!

I'll give it a download have to say it'll have to do something very special to beat the outta box browser!

Yea from what i've seen of the built in browser it would take something good to beat it. But it's a start I guess and it can only get better, I assumed there was limited flash support in FF since they say download the youtube plugin but I don't know.

Also how is the battery life of it? I'm still keen on getting this but the reports I hear are that it's charge can sometimes barely get you through a day especially if you're using IM or something about a WiFi bug.