N-Europe

Soul Calibur IV

Retro_Link

Bad news!

The Japanese guest characters are all clones. None of them have original movesets.

No Kratos

Critical Finishers are very rare unless someone blocks a very lot

Yoda slightly Overpowered

Xianghua Nerfed

Sophitia Nerfed

Ivy "totally Changed"

Mitsurugi is "fine"

Algol sounds Insanely over powered

Voldo has new "Crab Crawl" moves

Darth Vader apparently Badass

The Apprentice "Best guess character"

Hilde "is excellent"

Guess Characters are just re-skinned versions of normal ones (Except the Apprentice)

Speed is slower than SC 3

Guard impact changes

Critical Finishers Don't seem overpowered

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh....seems like Soul Calibur is going down the same path as Tekken.

I hope it's not the case though, as I always enjoyed the Soul Calibur series >_<

The speed was slower when I played an early version of it. I was hoping it was just because it was a demo version.

Still, it is the fastest thing out there even if I did want them to speed the thing up. :indeed:

The third one is abhorrent.

SC on the DC is still the best.

I would accept the second one as being considered the best. The third one had issues but I still enjoyed it. Apparently it had balance issues. Anyone know about this?

I would accept the second one as being considered the best. The third one had issues but I still enjoyed it. Apparently it had balance issues. Anyone know about this?

As a whole I'd agree the second is the best but the first has the tightest fighting (Which is more important imo). Also the DC controller is the best for SC, no competition.

Partly why 3 was so bad was because of the balancing issues. Some of the characters were so overpowered it was a joke. It normally meant the faster characters just got taken. Also the AI was incredibly bad. I remember the last boss doing exactly the same move on me 3 times in a row.

Bad news!

The Japanese guest characters are all clones. None of them have original movesets.

No Kratos

Critical Finishers are very rare unless someone blocks a very lot

Yoda slightly Overpowered

Xianghua Nerfed

Sophitia Nerfed

Ivy "totally Changed"

Mitsurugi is "fine"

Algol sounds Insanely over powered

Voldo has new "Crab Crawl" moves

Darth Vader apparently Badass

The Apprentice "Best guess character"

Hilde "is excellent"

Guess Characters are just re-skinned versions of normal ones (Except the Apprentice)

Speed is slower than SC 3

Guard impact changes

Critical Finishers Don't seem overpowered

A number of these points concern me but as an avid Xianghua user, the three points I've highlighted in bold are what concern me the most, although I will be the first to admit that for the type of character Xianghua is, her game was amazingly propelled ahead of others, because they made her move set stronger in 3 compared to 2 (not that I really complained :heh: ). I just hope its only a tone down of her strength and nothing else.

As a whole I'd agree the second is the best but the first has the tightest fighting (Which is more important imo). Also the DC controller is the best for SC, no competition.

I too agree that SC on the DC was the best because it was so tight as a fighting game, and really showed how 3d fighters should be when it was released. Still one of my favourite games ever to this day, but 2 is fantastic.

2nd was always my favourite.

points above don't bother me much as I've not played enough of the series as a whole to comment on balancing. As long as IV as a stand alone product plays well and allows for some classic duelling, I'm in.

Guest Jordan

Yeah Dan i agree. Soul Calibur 2 was incredibly different from the first and yet felt so much better to play.

Soul Calibur 3 they fucked up the combos of alot of characters and i could never get into it.

Last weeks 1up Yours discusses it and they do seem to really like it....Good idea about the custom character system, you can unlock each characters move set by unlocking their soul and then patching it onto your creation. Apparently the apprentice has the best move set of all the new characters.

Despite earlier reports of a mandatory hard drive install of more gargantuan proportions, a scan of the back cover of the Japanese version of Soulcalibur IV shows much more reasonable requirements. The mandatory install itself will be 2,850MB or 2.85GB while a save file will start at 2048KB or 2MB.

Obviously, the more characters you create, the more space it is going to take up on your hard drive.

Despite earlier reports of a mandatory hard drive install of more gargantuan proportions, a scan of the back cover of the Japanese version of Soulcalibur IV shows much more reasonable requirements. The mandatory install itself will be 2,850MB or 2.85GB while a save file will start at 2048KB or 2MB.

Obviously, the more characters you create, the more space it is going to take up on your hard drive.

Ah yes, well 2.85GB install is still a pretty big amount but that sounds ALOT better than the amount that was first reported!