Football Season 2007/2008

flameboy

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reds will wait for Torres Jun 27 2007

by David Prentice, Liverpool Echo

LIVERPOOL are prepared to play a waiting game for Fernando Torres, as Atletico Madrid dig their heels in over their captain and talisman.

The Spaniards are prepared to fight tooth and nail to hang on to the 23-year-old, after more than 350 supporters protested in a city square yesterday about his possible sale.

Talks have taken place between the Reds and Madrid officials, but with the player now on holiday until July 10, Liverpool are prepared to wait until Torres returns to pre-season training and can force the issue himself.

Madrid president Enrique Cerezo has told Liverpool he can't stop them buying Fernando Torres.

"All players have a buyout clause and if they meet it then there's nothing we can do," said Cerezo.

But that clause is set at £27m - a fee Liverpool believe is over-priced.

Reds officials also say they are unaware of any clause entitling the player to 10 per cent of the transfer fee, as reports today claimed.

As revealed in the Echo, as well as Torres Rafa Benitez has other targets in mind - among them PSV striker Arouna Kone, Ajax's Klaas Huntelaar and Diego Milito at Real Zaragoza.

But hopes that Carlos Tevez might join his international team-mate Javier Mascherano at Anfield receded with the striker saying: "Inter is a great club. There is a true possibility that I will wear the Nerazzurri colours next season.

"It is true that Real Madrid are interested in my services but my agent knows exactly how I feel about it - better Inter than Real.

"Inter's team is like an Argentinian colony. I wouldn't have language issues at Inter."

Liverpool's first group of players report back to Melwood tomorrow for pre-season training.

Missing, however, will be Emiliano Insua and Lucas Leiva, who take part in the FIFA under-20 World Cup which kicks off in Canada this weekend.

Insua is in the Argentina squad, while summer signing Leiva is an integral member of Brazil's team.

The 24 nation tournament runs from Saturday until July 22.

Argentina are defending their under-20 crown and kick-off their campaign on Saturday against the Czech Republic in Ottawa. Brazil's tournament starts five hours earlier against Poland in Montreal.

Waiting Game Huh? Sounds like Rick Parry business...Prick

However Prentice knows nothing in relation to Liverpool, if anyone does it's Bascombe and he doesn't know fuck all anymore.

Sign someone soon before I shit myself Liverpool FC.

At least now they look like they're interested in signing. :heh:

Has anyone else noticed how active Sunderland have been so far in the transfer market? They're literally linking themselves to so many players. I can see them doing well next season. Definitely staying up.

well my team have already signed 4 players, with supposedly at least 2 more on the way, but it would be boring if nothing else happened before the end of the window ;)

True, but then it gives you more time for your players to gel, whilst everybody else fuffles around buying other players. :D

So far, we've signed 3 players. I'd like to see more coming to Old Trafford. A striker or two would be extremely handy, I feel.

supposedly Celtic are front runners at the moment in the race to sign Maceo Rigters from NAC Breda (top scorer in the Euro u21 tourney) which would bring our number of centre forwards to 8, and that's to fill 2 positions ;)

although supposedly we are looking to move on Gravesen, Jarosik and a couple of our strikers