Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Mac vs Windows

Jasper

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't you hide the OS X bar? It looks fugly with the massive gap at the bottom of the screen.

i like it there, i don't like the pause between when the cursor's at the bottom and when it pops up, i have it pretty small now(about 2 cursors high), but pops up to full magnification.

its called the doc for those who don't know. you can hide it control the level of magmafication and even put it on the sides of the screen instead of the bottom.

this is an essay i did for school awhile back so some info may be out of date

Macs are better than PCs.pct

a pict file is a type of image file that supports vectors and bitmap and only will work on a mac (i saved it in a pict originaly to make a point)

ah sooooo you clever person!! i just thought, "wow the text is embedded in the post, thats a bit clever", then just read it.

a pict file is a type of image file that supports vectors and bitmap and only will work on a mac (i saved it in a pict originaly to make a point)

How is Apple creating its own exclusive file types a point in favour of Macs? Its irritating and sums Apple up completely, they don't like anything that isn't Apple. At All.

There you have one of my 2 reasons for not liking Macs. The other is Apple make their software so damn user-friendly that its actually restrictive of functionality. Although this is just my experience of Apple software running on a PC (and therefore directly compared to PC apps)

I prefer a PC that works fully than when that only just works with iMerchandise.

Switch from Windows Vista to mac and you'll see all your old devices all of a sudden work again. Windows Vista is less compatible than MacOS X and it's "iMerchandise". Now here's the catch Shino: you get iMerchandise for free on your mac. If you want such an application suite for your Windows, your paying. You're quite wrong here stating that Macs are incompatible pieces of junkware (slight exageration from my side).

Apparantly only Maclovers pop-up in this thread, defending Macs through and through. First of, no - you're not all right to say 'buy a mac', because PC's can work wonderfully fine too. I'm not the pretentious hypocrit to say that macs are perfect, but they are the leading voice of the industry. But just why? Because that's what being the underdog is about. Apple has a 5% market share of the conxumer-based market and therefore must be profiled as being more inovative and better than - you know - the one with 95% of the operating systems at hand.

Macs are formidable machines and there's no reason anymore not to switch. With MacOS X Apple stepped into the future, with it's iPod it got a cultural name and recognizeable brand and with it's (back-then) unique designs it's got the brand professional profiling. A lot of developers develop for mac too and there's almost no application you can't find (with the same possibilities, that is, I'm not saying all Windows applications have mac counterparts). No reason not to switch. On the other hand, if you've got a good PC running there with buckloads of RAM and four great processors stacked up to each other, stick to your Vista.

The other is Apple make their software so damn user-friendly that its actually restrictive of functionality. Although this is just my experience of Apple software running on a PC (and therefore directly compared to PC apps)

Apple kinda make their software for the newbie user, or people who want to say tinker with photo's but can't be bothered to learn photoshop or similar. Then their software like Final Cut Pro is obviously aimed at people who want to do a lot more with video editing etc. I like apple's approach to software, you get a nice taste of all these creative things, and if you really find yourself using them a lot you can go out and find a more professional app that will allow you to go more in depth with what your doing. Correct me if i'm wrong though people, as i've only ever used a bit of CS2 and iLife lol

Apple kinda make their software for the newbie user, or people who want to say tinker with photo's but can't be bothered to learn photoshop or similar. Then their software like Final Cut Pro is obviously aimed at people who want to do a lot more with video editing etc. I like apple's approach to software, you get a nice taste of all these creative things, and if you really find yourself using them a lot you can go out and find a more professional app that will allow you to go more in depth with what your doing. Correct me if i'm wrong though people, as i've only ever used a bit of CS2 and iLife lol

But still, you can't make websites with iWeb if you don't have .mac, can you? Or write your personal movie made in iMovie away with iDVD if you don't have a superdrive build in, can you? I must say, Apple's own software is aimed at the newbie user but still is kind-of restrictive anyway.

And Takeo, will you stop with putting Apple up on a pedestal? It's wrong to make Apple the most right company ever. I do'nt like your attitude concerning Apple: you can't say anything wrong about them and they're not perfect. Sorry guy, but it just is that way.

How is Apple creating its own exclusive file types a point in favour of Macs? Its irritating and sums Apple up completely, they don't like anything that isn't Apple. At All.

There you have one of my 2 reasons for not liking Macs. The other is Apple make their software so damn user-friendly that its actually restrictive of functionality. Although this is just my experience of Apple software running on a PC (and therefore directly compared to PC apps)

The file types are a long-lost problem. there are barely any file types that Windows and Macs don't share these days. The only thing I've noticed is that MacOS X makes a special type of file inside every folder to quickly find data with spotlight, but so does windows (5 think they're .dat-files). Apple supports most file types nonetheless. And for those exclusive types, well, they're application bound. Just like Photoshop has it's own file-type, iMovie has it's own filetype, too.

If you've only used some Apple-software on windows, well, yes it's restricted, although I find iTunes (even on windows) much better than Media Player (simple because it's so easy to use). But on the other hand, you didn't expect Apple to give you the full monty on Windows, now would you? They'de be killing themselves if they would...

But still, you can't make websites with iWeb if you don't have .mac, can you? Or write your personal movie made in iMovie away with iDVD if you don't have a superdrive build in, can you? I must say, Apple's own software is aimed at the newbie user but still is kind-of restrictive anyway.

And Takeo, will you stop with putting Apple up on a pedestal? It's wrong to make Apple the most right company ever. I do'nt like your attitude concerning Apple: you can't say anything wrong about them and they're not perfect. Sorry guy, but it just is that way.

I'm not naive enough to think that Apple can do no wrong. Just i haven't really saw anything that they have done wrong that effects me yet, apart from Leopard delay due to iPhone-grrr.

You can make a website in iWeb and host it using a different service. And all Apple computers come with a superdrive i think. It's just the lower spec mini, MacBook and iMac that can't burn DVDs-which come to think of it is a bit weird-especially for the iMac and MacBook.

do you like my macbook pro? as opposed to the white/black norm of the macbook then?

But the macbook pro looks so un-Apple :heh

My macbook had the beautiful apple white we long associate them with. I say 'did', because it's slightly covered in shite now.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!