NEurope
Gaijin von Snikbah

Nintendo buys Monolith Soft

Nintendo buys Monolith Soft from Bandai Namco.

Monolith Soft is a Japanese entertainment company, specializing in creating video games for various consoles. The company was founded in 1999 by producer Hirohide Sugiura after he left Square Co. and accepted an investment from Namco.

Monolith Soft is known for making games like Xenosaga and Baten Kaitos. Currently they are developing Disaster: Day of Crisis for the Wii.

April 26, 2007 - Nintendo may have just become a major player in the RPG field. Bandai Namco Holdings issued a press release today announcing that it will transfer 80% of its 96% stake in Monolith Soft to Nintendo, effective May 1.

As reason for the move, the firm cited considerations involving the future growth of the Monolith studio and the desire to strengthen its relationship with Nintendo in the console software business.

Monolith is known primarily for its work on the Xenosaga series, which has been mostly a PlayStation franchise. On Nintendo platforms, the developer brought Xenosaga I&II to the DS and also supported the GameCube through Baten Kaitos and its sequel.

This isn't the end of relations between Monolith and Bandai Namco, though. In addition to retaining a 16% stake in the developer, Bandai Namco says that it will continue to make use of the studio for planning and development. What this means for the Xenosaga series is anyone's guess at this point, but we'll let you know if we hear anything.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/784/784029p1.html

Jeeze, i read that and i thought you meant the Monolith that made Condemned and F.E.A.R :D

Anyway, Xenosaga is apparently pretty good. Its been a while since Nintendo 'bought' a company.

And ironic thing that I guessed this about four months ago from various comments that Monolith rep said during BK:O interviews. :)

Great news!

Xenosaga is meant to be a pretty good series isn't it and Baten Kaitos was alright.

BTW, Nintendo buying Monolith means that they believe Disaster: Day of Crisis is going to be good title.

BTW, Nintendo buying Monolith means that they believe Disaster: Day of Crisis is going to be good title.
I wonder if Disaster: Day of Crisis has switched to being a more RPG focused game?

It would be quite a departure for Monolith otherwise, both in a gameplay and graphical style, though it shouldn't really matter.

A developer who makes RPGs, being bought by Nintendo, that is good news. One thing that always hurt the GC and the N64 in Japan was a lack of good RPGs.

Oh fuck off, does this mean that we're not going to see shit like FEAR on 360 anymore? I didn't know Monolith were owned by Namco...damn it all.

Oh fuck off, does this mean that we're not going to see shit like FEAR on 360 anymore? I didn't know Monolith were owned by Namco...damn it all.

Wrong Monolith :p

You're thinking of Monolith Studios, not Monolith Soft.

One thing is Monolith Soft, other thing is Monolith Productions.

Two studios with the same name.

This news makes me very happy actually, Monolith is one of my favorite J-RPG studios, so I was already secretly wishing for them to be somewhat exclusive. :p

Pretty solid talent there, for one they have part of the team responsible for one of the best PSone RPG's (if not the best), Chrono Cross (including background renders in Baten kaitos) and Xenogears.

Can't wait to see their next RPG.

Haha, I first thought the same thing as Jordan. "What!? THE Monolith?"

But after hearing what Monolith Soft made, I think Nintendo have made a solid purchase. :) It isn't often they splash out the cash. Hell, they could buy a few more big-name studios if they had the inclination to do so.

If we get more RPGs on Wii, then that's fantastic. :D

Monolith is an awesome group, same group at Squaresoft that did Xenogears! I'm looking forward to getting lots of RPGs from them on the Wii/DS :>

My thoughts exactly.

It is a studio that can also make mature games, a good purchase. I hope nintendo will buy a few Euro and US studios as well

Good news, even though I'm not a huge RPG fan, still really good news and as you've all said, Disaster must be shaping up well!

This would also explain why there has been very little information about Disaster. Surrounding aquisition, very little informaiton is given out about products in case it effects the value of the companies involved.

Nintendo must have tremendous faith in them to grab such a huge share in them.

Since they are becoming a 2nd part developer, this bodes well for Disaster.

Hahaha, dual interpretation.

Baten Kaitos really impressed me, it's great to have them on board and with Ninty watching them I shall not be complaining at all :)

Very, very good purchase by Nintendo. This actually means a class developer with a class franchise added to the Nintendo lineup. Xenosaga and Baten Kaitos (I didn't know they made that!) really fill up the gap of RPGs in Nintendo's lineup. Also, this probably means Nintendo is impressed with Disaster, which is a great sign, too :smile:

Seeing how studios like Kuju really started making quality under Nintendo's vision, I can't wait how this one will turn out.

This is probably the best studio they could realistically buy.

EDIT: Xenosaga was a trilogy... I sense Wiimake. Hope the rights didn't stick with Namco though.

Great to see Nintendo spending some of its questionably hard earned dough on new talent instead of advertising. I hate them much less now

Hopefully Monolith can breathe some new life into the somewhat recycled Wii library

Fucking awesome news, finally Nintendo is putting their money to good use.

Fantastic news!

Perhaps we'll finally get some Wii RPGs! And Baten Kaitos will probably develop into a pretty big franchise now. Hopefully now they'll finally release Origins in Europe, probably ported on the Wii in the same way that the Harvest Moon game is.