NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dark Wolf

Metallica

My brother got Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning, The Black Album and And Justice for All a while ago. I put them on my MP3 player, and it's simply incredible.

I listened to Master of Puppets (the song) and I nearly cried because it was so good. I seem to prefer their more thrash metal songs, but the others are great too. Fade to Black is also incredible.

Unfortunatly I've heard they're pretty rubbish now. With their last three albums being pretty rubbish. Are there any other bands out there I should try? I've got one Megadeth song (Holy Wars) which is great, I might get more of their stuff.

They always sounded like Maiden-wanabees

I'm only going to say this once more: Stop making jumb jokes.

They sound nothing like maiden, and they're one of the best bands in existence. What do you think of ...And Justice dude? Thats my favourite album by them. Simple awesome.

Ride The Lightning was one of the first albums I bought. And it's still something really special to me. Fade to Black is more than a bit fantastic. There's no denying they've gone a bit off course in recent years (Well... in the last 10 years) but they used to be on top of their game and then some.

If you liked Lightning and Puppets, you'll love Megadeth. Mustaine wrote most of the riffs for those two albums apparently anyway.

If you liked Lightning and Puppets, you'll love Megadeth. Mustaine wrote most of the riffs for those two albums apparently anyway.

Yeah, I consider Megadeth to be slightly better in some ways than Metallica. Mustaine wrote most of the riffs on Kill Em All, and some on Ride The Lightning, like Call of Ktulu, which is probably the most underrated song of all time. He didn't write any of the riffs off Puppets as far as I'm aware though. Get Rust In Piece by Deth.

What the hell, they have a completely different sound to Maiden. Sure they were inspired by Maiden, but they really took it to a new level.

You should probably get Kill Em All as well, while not as good as the later albums it's still a good romp, and that was when Mustaine was in the band as well.

They always sounded like Maiden-wanabees

Wtf...

Anyway yeh, they're an awesome band. I'm hoping the new stuff will go back to the way they were but I think that's a lot to ask given style of the new song they released. I've seen them live twice and am going to see them in Wembley in July, can't wait :D

Cube - ???? Maiden wannabees? Have you heard any Metallica? Have you heard any Maiden?

-------------

Metallica is easily my favourite band. I love Iron Maiden and Megadeth also, and would advise you, Herr Dark Wolf, to check them out.

I've seen 'tallica 5 times, Maiden once and never seen Megadeth live. I can't find any tickets fot their Irish gig.... (I wish Marty Friedman was still with them anyway...). I'm raging Metallica aren't coming to Ireland this year and I couldnt get a ticket for Wembley in time, but I'm really looking forward to their new album, I mean nothing can be worse than their last offering right...!!

You should get Metallica - S&M. Such an immense live album! My favourite 'tallica album is Load, which is quite different to the whole Puppets/Lightning era, but awesome nonetheless.

Gotta agree with you on the Puppets front though.

MASTER! MASTER!

....like Call of Ktulu, which is probably the most underrated song of all time.....

Blimey I think this is the first time I have agreed with you on Music.

Buy Reign In Blood by Slayer and you'll see how over rated Metallica are. Also South Of Heaven and Seasons In The Abyss.

I personally don't see what the fuss is about over Reign in Blood. I think it's the sort of thing that would appeal to me if I was around in the time but not now. I bought Reign in Blood and thought every song sounded the same. However South of Heaven is pretty awesome.

You should check out Machine Head - The Blackening. It's just brilliant.

You should check out Machine Head - The Blackening. It's just brilliant.

:blank: Nah mate!! :heh:

:blank: Nah mate!! :heh:

Well that's my opinion anyway. Why didn't you like it Bard? They are one of my favourite bands though so I could be biased (doubt it though :)). I guess they're probably a bit too strong to listen to considering you've just started listening to Metallica so the older bands that the other guys suggested would be appropriate. You will become a metalhead though, it is inevitable.

Well that's my opinion anyway. Why didn't you like it Bard? They are one of my favourite bands though so I could be biased (doubt it though :)). I guess they're probably a bit too strong to listen to considering you've just started listening to Metallica so the older bands that the other guys suggested would be appropriate.

I just don't think they should have approached it the way they did. They tried to be more technical than their instrumental skill could really handle, so they're trying hard to play all these quasi technical parts, and the songs suffer because of it. Machine Head aren't capable of writing very complex music, they should stick with what they can do. Songs like Imperium and Old are what they're all about. There wasn't a single song on that album that I enjoyed. I think the reason they did what they did was out of envy, they bring in all these young, technical bands like Trivium on tour, and they show up Machine Heads musicianship completely. It's a huge case of "me too" ism.

You will become a metalhead though, it is inevitable.

Yup, It's the next evolutionary step ;).

I just don't think they should have approached it the way they did. They tried to be more technical than their instrumental skill could really handle, so they're trying hard to play all these quasi technical parts, and the songs suffer because of it. Machine Head aren't capable of writing very complex music, they should stick with what they can do. Songs like Imperium and Old are what they're all about. There wasn't a single song on that album that I enjoyed. I think the reason they did what they did was out of envy, they bring in all these young, technical bands like Trivium on tour, and they show up Machine Heads musicianship completely. It's a huge case of "me too" ism.

Yeh I see what you're saying. I was surprised myself at what they came up with to be honest. It is a huge departure from their previous stuff and I think it's Phils influence in the song writing that made it turn out like it did. I still love it though and that's just my opinion. I totally agree on all this "me too" approach going on at the moment. I don't appreciate a most of my favourite bands going thrashy and sticking in solos everywhere. I heard some of Static-Xs new stuff and they're doing it too. Solos in their songs just seem out of place. I've also gone off Trivium, they started out with a great new sound and ended up as Metallica wannabees, which pisses me off because they could be so much more. Matt Heafy even imitates Hetfields voice now which is totally wrong.

Yeah, I totally agree. Trivium's latest album, while a good album, still was hugely disappointing. It could have been so much more, when they stick to their guns they put out thoroughly amazing albums like Ascendancy, I think it's a total shame that they fell the need to try to immitate other bands, because each band has it's own personality, some bands like Metallica are totally inimitable. They're still pretty young though, like 22 being the average age, which is funny cause Kill Em All came out when all of Metallica were 23 or thereabouts, so I still have very high hopes for the next album :).

Well I won't write them off just yet. Metallica have influenced so many present day bands it's insane. Though they themselves seem to have gone down a country metal route :heh:. I've heard two of their new songs and they're like their new stuff before St. Anger mixed with their old stuff. Very odd. I hope they play some completed songs in Wembley that'd kick ass.

I find Megadeth and Metallica equally brilliant in different ways.

Mustaine's (and whoever was partnering him on different song's) technical mastery of their instrument was second to none, and for Dave to sing and play these insanely technical riffs is absolutely amazing.

I also much prefer the lead playing of Megadeth, Marty Friedman's especially.

However, you can't deny Metallica's song-writing ability.

Metallica are one of the few bands that can make my hair stand on end every time I hear some of their songs.

One especially, the machine-gun picking part. OH MY GOD.

And yeah, their new stuff isn't that good, but its alright.

I've also got a feeling their new album will be amazing.

true dat metallicas newish albums arnt as good but there old stuff is awesome :D ive had the pleasure of seeing them live 5 times

SLAYER

true dat metallicas newish albums arnt as good but there old stuff is awesome :D ive had the pleasure of seeing them live 5 times

SLAYER

This isn't the "Rate the band above you" thread. :heh:

Seriously, Metallica really aren't that great. They're so overrated it's untrue.

Seriously, Metallica really aren't that great. They're so overrated it's untrue.

Bad English aside, you listen to Marilyn Manson and Bloc Party, and therefore your opinion on music is worth less than shit. Have a fantastic day!

Sign in to follow this