American shootings

stuwii

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two things,

1) http://thinkprogress.org/2007/04/17/cole-virginia/

Remember that we’re all concerned, as we should be, about these events at Virginia Tech today. In Iraq this is a daily event. Imagine how horrible it would be if this kind of massacre were occurring every single day. And the people of Iraq feel that either the Americans are not stopping it or they’re actually causing it.

On Monday, the same day as the Virginia Tech mass shooting, two separate shooting incidents struck Mosul University, one killing Dr. Talal Younis al-Jelili, the dean of the college of Political Science as he walked through the university gate, and another killing Dr. Jaafar Hassan Sadeq, a professor from the Faculty of Arts at the school, who was targeted in front of his home in the al-Kifaat area, according to Aswat al-Iraq.

In January, Baghdad’s Mustansiriya University sufferred a double suicide bombing in January that killed at least 70 people, including students, faculty, and staff. A month later, another suicide bomber struck at Mustansiriya, killing 40.

2) More wisdom from the Good Doctor:

I have one or two [assault rifles], but I got them before they were illegal. In that case, if I were sure that any tragedies and mass murders would be prevented, I'd give up my assault rifle. But I don't really believe that.

Two things first of all. a) I couldn't be arsed to read through all of this thread. b) Its obviously a terrible tragedy and I mean no disrespect when I say this;

Anyone else find the rather Marxist "The rich kids made me do it" reasoning quite interesting, or at least deeper than the usual anger issue?

;420603]Anyone else find the rather Marxist "The rich kids made me do it" reasoning quite interesting' date=' or at least deeper than the usual anger issue?[/quote']I strongly doubt it's an actual real issue there, but rather one of the imaginations from his sick mind.

Obviously this is a deeply disturbed guy (or was), and I do not at all condone what he did. I just hope it makes jocks and bullies stand up and take notice at what bullying can cause some people to do. All this bullshit about guns being too easy to get is just a poor cover up.

Not that tis incident was bully related, but the vast majority like columbine are.

Well, it's not Marxist, and it's not interesting.

Well kinda. A very basic level of Marxist that the supressed working class will rise against the oppressing upper class and revolt. How working class an American college exchange student could be classed as is questionable, but more the concept of wanting to oppose against those who, he at least felt, were being oppressive.

I suppose you could interpret his words/actions differently.

This kid was at Virginia Tech. His parents owned their own business. He lived in a suburb, with clean white houses. This kid wasn't a Prol.

But in his mind he differentiated himself from the rich kids, economically he may not have been supressed but emotionally and personally he may have at least felt supressed. Im aware technically he's not a prol, but its the closest we've had to anyone trying to overthrow the rich in a while...

OK. I am going to disagree with you there.

Two more things,

1) Sometime after he killed two people in a Virginia university dormitory but before he slaughtered 30 more in a classroom building Monday morning, Cho Seung-Hui sent NBC News a rambling communication and videos about his grievances, the network said Wednesday.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18169776/

2) The crazy kid from GameLife got himself locked up! Might need its own thread.

http://wcbstv.com/topstories/local_story_108153035.html

Police 'regret' at killer's video

Police probing the deadly shootings at Virginia Tech University have criticised the decision of US network NBC to show footage of the killer.

Cho Seung-hui sent a package of videos, photographs and writing to NBC on the day of the shootings.

But police said on Thursday that the videos - showing an angry Cho ranting and pointing guns at the camera - added little to their investigation.

A total of 33 people, including Cho, died at two locations on Monday.

NBC broadcast new footage of 23-year-old killer gunman on Thursday and defended its decision to use Cho's videos.

"I'm not sure we'll ever fully understand why this happened, but I do think this is as close as we'll come to having a glimpse inside the mind of a killer," Steve Capus, head of NBC News, said on the network's Today programme.

'Incredibly disturbing'

Cho's package contained 1,800 words of text and 43 photos, 11 of them showing Cho aiming handguns at the camera. He also sent 28 video clips.

Inside the mind of a killer

Campus begins to mourn

Gunman's message

Speaking at Virginia Tech, Steve Flaherty, superintendent of Virginia State Police, said he appreciated NBC's co-operation, but regretted the decision to broadcast the tapes.

"A lot of folks saw images that were very disturbing," he told a news conference.

"This is a kind of image that people in my line of work have to see, and I'm worried that people who are not used to seeing them had to see them," he said.

NBC's Mr Capus said he understood that many people would disagree with the decision to broadcast.

"There is no way to look at without being profoundly upset, and it is incredibly disturbing."

'I will no longer run'

In the first set of videos aired by NBC, on Wednesday evening, Cho was shown ranting at the camera and railing against rich, privileged students.

He blamed others for forcing him to kill.

"You had 100 billion chances and ways to have avoided today.

"But you decided to spill my blood. You forced me into a corner and gave me only one option. The decision was yours. Now you have blood on your hands that will never wash off," Cho said.

"I didn't have to do this. I could have left. I could have fled. But now I will no longer run," the gunman said.

Police have already revealed that Cho, who moved to the US with his family from South Korea in 1992, was admitted to a mental health unit in late 2005.

He was sent for evaluation after two female students made complaints against him, they said.

But they have not definitively linked him to any of those killed on campus.

Student complaints

Two people were killed at the West Ambler Johnston Hall, a university dormitory, at 0715 on Monday.

Two hours later Cho killed 30 others, plus himself, at the Norris Hall complex across campus.

Authorities have not yet linked the 23-year-old to any of those he killed.

Police say the same gun was used at both locations but have not definitely proved that Cho was at West Ambler Johnston at the time of the shootings there.

The complaints by students against Cho were made in November and December 2005, around the time Cho's English teachers raised concerns over his writing and general behaviour.

In the aftermath of the shootings, teachers and fellow students have spoken of Cho's extreme moods, violent writings and unpredictable behaviour.