Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Answer the trivia above thread...

flameboy

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shit, my A level bilogy may fail me here, haha. Biochem was always my strong point tbh...

Erm. Well. It carries blood from the intestines to the liver. From the liver the blood's carried away to the inferior vena cava (via the hepatic veins I believe). Can't tell you the other two, I'm not sure what the intestinal vessels are called.

The hepatic portal vein is formed from the merger of which 3 main vessels?!

Google/Wikipedia will help your quest, little nooblets.

Off the top of my head, the gastric vein and the mesenteric vein.

Wikipedia says splenic vein, superior mesenteric vein, and left and right gastric veins. Plus apparently the inferior mesenteric vein drains into the splenic vein.

Off the top of my head, the gastric vein and the mesenteric vein.

Wikipedia says splenic vein superior mesenteric vein, and left and right gastric veins. Plus apparently the inferior mesenteric vein drains into the splenic vein.

Close enough. The Splenic vein and inferior mesenteric merge then they merge with the superior mesenteric vein = hepatic portal!

I was drunk when I wrote that question :)

Guest Stefkov
I thought this was supposed to be a friendly game?

Me too.

Can't we make it easier, like Why did the chicken cross the road?

Righty ho, a biochem one.

Name a process in the rough endoplasmic reticulum where ATP is converted to AMP.

Isn't it used in translation with the formation of peptide bonds between amino acids on the ribosomes embedded on the RER? That's the only one I can think of, it would make sense as the condensation is definitely not a spontaneous process. I'm thinking that you phosphorylate the carboxylate anion, nucleophilic attack by the amino group on the carbonyl...tetrahedral intermediate, kick out the best leaving group (PO4-) which leaves you with a peptide bond.

Isn't it used in translation with the formation of peptide bonds between amino acids on the ribosomes embedded on the RER? That's the only one I can think of, it would make sense as the condensation is definitely not a spontaneous process. I'm thinking that you phosphorylate the carboxylate anion, nucleophilic attack by the amino group on the carbonyl...tetrahedral intermediate, kick out the best leaving group (PO4-) which leaves you with a peptide bond.

Correctamundo... your go.

Although I'm sure it's onlt ATP -> ADP rather than ATP -> AMP but there we go. I won't argue anymore.

Hmm.

By what action does cyanide kill mammals?

I'm pretty sure it's to AMP for that reaction.

Anyway, cyanide kills mammals by acting as a non-reversible inhibitor to the cytochrome-oxidase complex on the inner membrane of mitochondria, thus arresting the electron transport chain and stopping aerobic respiration. This means that the body is unable to synthesise enough ATP for essential muscles such as the heart, the diaphragm and the intercostal muscles to contract, and so the mammal dies.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!