NEurope
triforcemario

Spider-Man 3.

The PS3 version has been delayed, which is pretty awful, so the 360 and Wii versions will get the sales now.

thats a massive mistake, bet Sony aren't happy about that a Sony Pictures property is not making their console for the movies opening weekend.

My copy just been dispatched too bad there's no review for it yet..

Because Sony don't want people spilling the beans on their film in a game review.

Ok I bought the game today, and played it for about an hour. That's way to short to give an accurate opinion ofcourse but I'll share my first impressions.

First of all, during day the game looks better than I thought it would look. The glass in buildings all reflects (as opposed to what I read somewhere before) and the lighting looks pretty neat. Central park even has 3D grass :p But don't expect realistic envoirments in terms of textures etc, they just look 'fake'. I got this impression even more when going to Central Park for a mission. The grass is so (light) green and there are so few trees it looks like Legoland or something ;) One major downside for me is that there's not even a friggin' 16:9 option. Fortunately the game doesn't look that stretched when you play it but the (cgi) cutscenes do. Oh, and those cutscenes are pretty ugly too, I think they just rendered them with the PS3/360 and put them in a movie file for the Wii, the lazy bastards :p

Now, the important part: controls. I hated them at first, they're hard to get used too especially when you think you can just 'button bash' with the motion controls. You really have to get used to them and in one of the first missions where you have to get bombs off a building you're really going to hate the controls like I did at that time. I'm more used to them now and I expect that to get better. The camera really sucks during combat, it feels like (I'll check later whether this is true) it reacts too slow on your movements, and you constantly have to place the darn thing behind you with C.

All in all I think this is really one of those games you'll only like if you like Spider-man. Like I said before the controls are tough in the beginning and can get you frustrated a lot. But since I've only played for 1 hour it's just a first impression so that can all change when I've played some more.

I think I may just wait until I get a PS3 to get this game, im still not really sold on the Wii controls.

Ok I bought the game today, and played it for about an hour. That's way to short to give an accurate opinion ofcourse but I'll share my first impressions.

First of all, during day the game looks better than I thought it would look. The glass in buildings all reflects (as opposed to what I read somewhere before) and the lighting looks pretty neat. Central park even has 3D grass :p But don't expect realistic envoirments in terms of textures etc, they just look 'fake'. I got this impression even more when going to Central Park for a mission. The grass is so (light) green and there are so few trees it looks like Legoland or something ;) One major downside for me is that there's not even a friggin' 16:9 option. Fortunately the game doesn't look that stretched when you play it but the (cgi) cutscenes do. Oh, and those cutscenes are pretty ugly too, I think they just rendered them with the PS3/360 and put them in a movie file for the Wii, the lazy bastards :p

Now, the important part: controls. I hated them at first, they're hard to get used too especially when you think you can just 'button bash' with the motion controls. You really have to get used to them and in one of the first missions where you have to get bombs off a building you're really going to hate the controls like I did at that time. I'm more used to them now and I expect that to get better. The camera really sucks during combat, it feels like (I'll check later whether this is true) it reacts too slow on your movements, and you constantly have to place the darn thing behind you with C.

All in all I think this is really one of those games you'll only like if you like Spider-man. Like I said before the controls are tough in the beginning and can get you frustrated a lot. But since I've only played for 1 hour it's just a first impression so that can all change when I've played some more.

well some positives and some minus' will be interested to see how you feel once you have played some more...

Can I have some 360 opinions please? I may pick this up tomorrow.

The back of the EU box has no EDTV/HDTV icon nor a 50hz/60hz icon.

So do a lot of other games, but they do 480p and 60Hz.

Yea but I'd rather have those icons to be sure, like with Heatseeker which does 16:9 but no 480p. I have a HDTV and I want to be sure it will look as good as possible.

It's way too confusing without them.

Yea but I'd rather have those icons to be sure, like with Heatseeker which does 16:9 but no 480p. I have a HDTV and I want to be sure it will look as good as possible.

It's way to confusing without them.

The game doesn't support 16:9 or 480p, a real bummer for me (and my HDTV ;) ) too, but then again with the component cables it looks decent enough.

The game doesn't support 16:9 or 480p, a real bummer for me (and my HDTV ;) ) too, but then again with the component cables it looks decent enough.

Hang on... didn't they "confirm"both on IGN?

Yup

Extract of interview from IGN with developers Vicarious Visions:

IGN: Will Spider-Man 3 Wii support 16:9 and progressive scan?

Mintz: Yes.

Could of easily been taken out of the EU version though.

Then either I missed a setting (as far as I can see the game doesn't have any visual settings at all) or it really has been stripped from the EU version :o Or that developer is lying ofcourse ;)

Bah, after hearing a lot of negative comments about the Wii version I've decided to go for the 360 release — it's only a £30 pre-order on GameStation's website.

The gist of what I've heard: swinging works well, but combat can be a bit fiddly; you can't swim, unlike the PC and 360 versions; you can't freely explore the subways or sewers, again unlike on the PC and 360; less villains and storylines than on the other consoles. I wouldn't mind if it was just a graphical downgrade, but by the sounds of it there's quite a few things I thought would be included in the Wii release that have gone AWOL.

I tend not to judge Wii games until I've tried them for myself, but as I can get the 360 version for the same price — and by the sounds of it get more game for my money — I'm going to hold off on the Wiimote web-slinging until the game hits the bargain bin. Unless anyone's impressions on here can convince me otherwise.

I wouldn't mind if it was just a graphical downgrade, but by the sounds of it there's quite a few things I thought would be included in the Wii release that have gone AWOL.

I tend not to judge Wii games until I've tried them for myself, but as I can get the 360 version for the same price — and by the sounds of it get more game for my money — I'm going to hold off on the Wiimote web-slinging until the game hits the bargain bin. Unless anyone's impressions on here can convince me otherwise.

You're looking at it the wrong way. Of course the Wii version is missing a lot of stuff from the 360 version - the 360 version is also missing a load of stuff from the Wii version.

Different games. Different developers.

You're looking at it the wrong way. Of course the Wii version is missing a lot of stuff from the 360 version - the 360 version is also missing a load of stuff from the Wii version.

Different games. Different developers.

I don't mind different, I do mind less. And when I can get more for the same price, well...

If the Wii controls turn out to work really well then I'll no doubt buy it at some point, but as I have the choice of buying it on another format — and one I've heard more positive comments about — I'm somewhat drawn to the safer bet.

Well I can tell you that the swinging does work really well - and, most of all, it's fun. As to the combat, yes it does require you to get used to it and I have to say I'm not really yet, but the times I do it right it feels really cool to use the motion controls and it really adds to the overall experience :) A downside: I got 3 hours playtime and according to the game I'm on 25% :( Maybe I should increase the difficulty setting to the highest (now on 'hero' aka normal)

I played them both. 360 versions looks WAY better. But i found the Wii version to be more fun.

Grr, why aren't there any reviews out yet? I want to buy it, but I have to absolutely sure I'll like it.

Well I can tell you that the swinging does work really well - and, most of all, it's fun. As to the combat, yes it does require you to get used to it and I have to say I'm not really yet, but the times I do it right it feels really cool to use the motion controls and it really adds to the overall experience :) A downside: I got 3 hours playtime and according to the game I'm on 25% :( Maybe I should increase the difficulty setting to the highest (now on 'hero' aka normal)

For whatever reason the Wii version has less storylines so it's shorter.