Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition

flameboy

I the above screen shot the monster from the lake has tendrils in it's mouth, I can't remember them in the Gamecube version, can anyone else?
I remember them, but I also felt they were slighly different from the ones in RE4, maybe because I'm not used to see them like that out of water, or something. Might be from the scan too, but the GC tentacles seemed more pale.

Anyway, here it is, from the GC version:

resident-evil-4-20041008045055794.jpg

They could just be hashing it and sticking in shots from the PS2 version, wouldnt be the first time. But hey if this is graphically better and the gameplay is equal or better to the GCN, then I might pick this up.

Fact of the Day: Voice actor who did Leon in RE4 is also the voice of Bear from .HACK//Sign . Who'da thunk it. He can speak both English and Japanese well enough to voice act...

Is it me or does the water look better on the GC version?

Hopefully it's just me or the scans. Looking forward to this never really played the GC one only the first 2 levels.

It isn't gonna be any worse, if anything it'll look better, CAPCOM aren't from the same school of lazy tossers that most Wii developers are from!

The bugs aren't shiny, ie totally lacking specular highlights. These are PS2 assets but with GCs texture compression used instead of palettised textures (which made everything the same colour).

So far I haven't seen one single use of any pixel shading effects from the GC version in this game.

Leons character (when his on boat) looks better on the wii then gc judging by that magazine scan and the above screenshot!

Have to wait till you see it in motion! Cannot wait to play this again with wii controls!

The bugs aren't shiny, ie totally lacking specular highlights. These are PS2 assets but with GCs texture compression used instead of palettised textures (which made everything the same colour).

So far I haven't seen one single use of any pixel shading effects from the GC version in this game.

Are you suggesting that this looks worse than the GC version? They've already said this uses the GC graphicsa nd the Ada mission was rebuilt using GC graphics.

Dear Customer, thank you for your e-mail.

Unfortunately, there is not a confirmed price for the UK release for this game yet. However, as soon as this is announced, the details will be found on the Official Nintendo European Webiste.

Kind regards,

Your Nintendo Team

Well, that's helpful...

Well, that's helpful...

They always are;

Dear Sir or madam,

I have a Wii, and was wondering whether Nintendo are planning on making online gaming accessible, user friendly and fun, or if we will see the return of friend codes?

All the best,

Breandán.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Customer, thank you for your e-mail.

On line gaming is being developed and the first one, Mario Striker Charged Football, is released tomorrow.

Kind regards,

Your Nintendo Team

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I dont remember that much of the water in the GC version, but the Wii Shots look murkier, which I have no problem with....The problems I had with water on last gen games (ie Waverace) was it looked so clean it could have been safe to drink....The cube shot shows way too much undersurface detail for a lake where some beast had been eating and most probably shitting villagers digested body parts out for years. (imho)

Are you suggesting that this looks worse than the GC version? They've already said this uses the GC graphicsa nd the Ada mission was rebuilt using GC graphics.

Am I suggesting that NOM made a mistake and that our own bloody eyes are a better judge of graphics than what NOM say Capcom are putting in the game? Yes, yes sir I am.

I don't see any water reflection/refraction, no specular highlights, no fogging, nothing showing off the lighting engine. Therefore the graphics are worse than the Gamecube game.

That Gamecube screenshot is actually from an earlier version of the game, you can tell by the health/ammo display. The water in the final version is not that transparent. But I think there is something amiss with those magazine screenshots. I can't imagine Capcom would do like this: "So, we made this game for the Gamecube and then for the PlayStation 2, now let's make a Wii version. Let's see, the Wii uses the same hardware architecture as the Gamecube, then let's port the PlayStation 2 version, and add Wii controls". This just doesn't make sense to me.

Putting shader effects into the PS2 extras would be a lot more work than just using the PS2 assets with the GC engine.

Either way it's friggin stupid, but I can't see how else it can be explained. This looks worse than the Gamecube version, I'm just saying what I see. I truly, truly hope I'm wrong, but it's not looking that way.

Putting shader effects into the PS2 extras would be a lot more work than just using the PS2 assets with the GC engine.

Either way it's friggin stupid, but I can't see how else it can be explained. This looks worse than the Gamecube version, I'm just saying what I see. I truly, truly hope I'm wrong, but it's not looking that way.

Why would they use PS2 assets on the GC engine if they have superior ones running on the GC engine already?

Like I said it defeats the purpose.

That's what I'm trying to figure out, I can't come up with any sane reason for this game to not look as good as the Gamecube game, yet it doesn't. I mean, do you disagree with me on the graphics or do you just disagree with my theory of why they look worse?

That's what I'm trying to figure out, I can't come up with any sane reason for this game to not look as good as the Gamecube game, yet it doesn't. I mean, do you disagree with me on the graphics or do you just disagree with my theory of why they look worse?
I don't even find it plausible.

But I'm not judging from a 400x225 image scan either.

Also like said that image comes from a beta, I can find GC build images with similar water transparency:

535840_20041203_screen034.jpg

IMO it's meant to be, and not necessarily comparable; there's no reason for it to look worse.

You're right, I should be waiting for better screens. I don't see why a beta build wouldn't have these effects, though, since GC code will run perfectly on a Wii anyway. I suppose there's the possibility that they're making those effects even better on Wii. I guess after all these crappy ports and games with awful graphics on Wii I'd really rather prepare for disappointment rather than set myself up for it.

I'll stop bitching, at least until we see more screenshots closer to release ;)