• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paj!

• chairdriver

• Slaggis

• Dan_Dare

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been struggling to make a mix tape for a big swap I'm taking part in. The theme is just that it's songs from the 2000's. Narrowed it down to 265, and now to 71.

But the problem is, the only song I actually am in love with atm is Wild Is The Wind by Cat Power. I'm tempted to send that, along with a lovely drawing, as my mix cd.

Fall Be Kind is my favourite thing.

It's like MPP, but devoid of shite songs (like Also Frightened / Daily Routine) and more shrouded in mystery and mystique.

EDIT: Just realised Daily Routine is my favourite song. Still don't like Also Frightened though.

Edited by chairdriver

I know I've posted this before, but I've had a Kate Bush morning:

Forget Wuthering Heights (as much as I love it); this is the song Kate Bush should be known for. The most accomplished piece of songwriting I've ever heard. In my opinion Kate Bush didn't become the musical luminary great she is until the release of this song and the album The Sensual World. It's just extraordinarily good, even for Kate Bush's standards, in so many ways: the way in which her voice goes in and out of phase with the Bulgarian singers in the background; the vocal performances in general; the triumph of making that god-awful guitar work; the explosive energy of the second half of the song, and the way she "let's go" and goes wild, which is really rare in her music. Then, after the explosive climax, the next song on the album is the emotionally wrenching This Woman's Work, which I could write an essay on. It may be cliche, but I bow down to Kate Bush. She is the greatest female musician I've ever listened to. Correction - she is the greatest musician in general I've ever listened to.

Speaking of the greats

Anyone who thinks Bruce Springsteen is defined by the stadium bombast of Born In The USA is basically about as wrong as is possible on some kind of meta human theoretical level that defies space/time and bends the limits of the human psyche.

Those in any doubt that The Boss is anything short of one of the single greatest lyricists and songwriters in history should, preferably, investigate The Wild, The Innocent and The E Street shuffle to really understand his blues and jazz routes, then move on to Born To Run to witness the single greatest dissection of urban angst, desperate love and wild dreams ever put to music. They should then listen to Nebraska to appreciate a throughly different kind of sound, a low fi experiment in introspection and the dismantling of the common American fantasy. Finally, they should listen to Human Touch to see a polished, high end work of exact craftsmanship that perfectly explores the fears and insecurities of love and romance in adulthood.

This Woman's Work, which I could write an essay on.

It wouldn't be hard, it's about a male perspective of a woman having a baby and dying(or in the video to the song, more vaguely generally dying/in hospital)

Unless you meant musically.

Ironically, I generally don't have the time to do much student journalism now that I'm studying journalism at uni. Perhaps I'll do better this coming semester.

Anyway! Just rediscovered The Byrds on my itunes. Anyone else a fan? They really are/ were something else. 'He was a friend of mine' is one of the most beautifully heartfelt songs I've ever heard.

Urge you all to check em out.

Absolutely obsessed with Shania Twain's Come On Over album at the moment. I've always loved, but I've suddenly been craving a summery sound and it's fits perfectly. I don't think Spotify's stopped playing my summer playlist since Thursday. I'm craving endless days of sunshine when songs like Better Together and Sandcastle Disco can be played whilst laying in the sun for hours on end.

Speaking of Solange, I've fallen in love with her album all over again. Sandcastle Disco, 6 O'Clock Blues, I Decided (Part 2) and Valentines Day are absolutely brilliant. Such a shame it wasn't a bigger success.

Edited by Slaggis

Recent listenings;

A Fine Frenzy - One Cell In The Sea

I'm a bit late to the party on this one, but I'm glad I turned up in the end. Very pleasant and almost ethereal sound, although I feel it lacks a certain kick, if you will. Reminds me a lot of Eisley's stuff, whom I happen to enjoy a great deal too, so that's good. I enjoy how The Ranger has this atmosphere at the beginning, nearly menacing, but then feel a little let down when it doesn't develope as I would have hoped. The Minnow and The Trout gets a mention too as well, very nice. All in all a great album, I even went so far as to get it in HMV, but it wasn't there. Bastards.

Duran Duran - Duran Duran

A bit retro, but it's stemmed from my previous '80s electronic binge. As a debut album, this must've been quite exciting at the time. I feel they got better with their later albums but I still get a lot from this anyway. It's corny, kitsch and loudly coloured but it's the eighties, you can't really complain. Full of a few well known ones such as Planet Earth (one of my favourites) and Girls on Film then there's the odd random ones no-ones heard of, yet are still fun. I think talking about them with my Mum, she came up with a good analogy; "At the time, you didn't really appreciate them that much, they were just sort of there. But when you look back you can see how good they were."

I'm seriously looking forward to the new outings by Goldfrapp called Head First which is out March I believe, and is said to be more like their older stuff this time, rather than the departure from their normal sound Seventh Tree was. I still liked it though. There's also The Optimist by New Young Pony Club in March too, which I'm dying to hear as well. They were one of my favourites when I was just getting into music properly for the first time. A few good'uns by them include Ice Cream, Get Lucky, The Bomb and Tight Fit oooh and Grey. I feel a relistening coming on!

Suede and Lust by Tori Amos

The fact that I disregarded these beforehand shows me how stupid and stubborn I can be. So firstly, Lust; Haunting and sustained notes, I see purple and white when I hear it. This is exactly the kind of music I love, cleverly overlaced with electronic filters and soothing whilst at the same time unnerving to a certain degree. This song in particular, along with the whole album is fantastically mastered. So much so that it really really adds to the final product, rather than just being another factor that could potentially make it better as with other songs/albums.

Secondly we have Suede. Sounds rather unremarkable at first listen, and I suppose it is compositionally, but the magic here lies within the lyric I believe. There's a scientific vocabulary employed throughout giving this sterile feel, then it gets incredibly rich all of a sudden with the chorus of "Anybody knows you can conjur anything by the dark of the moon, boy. And if you keep your silence silencer on you can talk yourself right into a job, out of a hole and into my bayou." Now I've always enjoyed English as a subject, and was good at it, but this makes me wish I'd carried it on in some form or another. I love the imagery, which to me what the song is all about. Probably my favourite song that deals with the subject matter of Evil. Then she starts with the "Oh little sister..." reprise, which always makes me think of BioShock. But that's ok because I feel they can go hand in hand, and both of which are just awesome.

tl;dr: Experimental electronica is my favourite thing next to oxygen.

Suede and Lust were the two I loved most and first when I got that album. :D Suede is still the best on the album for me.

Also, have you heard Rocket, the first single from Head First? I have a feeling you'll like it. People are going on about "80's influenced!" all the time, but never actually sound like it...Rocket does. :p

It's...a grower (for me).

To Venus And Back is the most "grower" of all Tori Amos' albums.

Bliss was the only track I immediately liked. Now Datura, Juarez and Riot Proof are the best things I've ever heard. Glory Of The 80s adds something so essential to my life, but in a really small quantity.

Tori-Flower-Closeup.jpg