NEurope

Thought I'd give Tom Waits a try, so I started at the beginning and listened to Closing Time earlier. Clearly an accomplished debut album but it feels dated. Filled with emotion throughout, although sometimes I feel like he's poking fun with the clichés in his lyrics, maybe just me. I loved Martha, I also chuckled when he followed it with a song about Rosie. I hope that I don't fall in love with you is a simple narrative in a song, but beautiful and really lovely to listen to. Not a life changing album, but I'm assured he gets much better.

Let me know when you get to Rain Dogs. I'll probably propose by then.

Leona Lewis - Happy

Overly dramtic? Check. Epic sounding? Check. Worldwide hit? Likely.

I love.

Edited by Slaggis
Automerged Doublepost

Urgh Leona Lewis. I hate how her approach to singing it to switch between warbulling highs and soft quiet lows and people fucking lap it up.

Urgh Leona Lewis. I hate how her approach to singing it to switch between warbulling highs and soft quiet lows and people fucking lap it up.

I dislike her for the same reason, the warbulling is bad enough in her own songs but when she covered Run she bloody wabulled it to death! :nono:

I seriously don't get what people see in her... but each to their own. ::shrug:

Thought I'd give Tom Waits a try, so I started at the beginning and listened to Closing Time earlier. Clearly an accomplished debut album but it feels dated. Filled with emotion throughout, although sometimes I feel like he's poking fun with the clichés in his lyrics, maybe just me. I loved Martha, I also chuckled when he followed it with a song about Rosie. I hope that I don't fall in love with you is a simple narrative in a song, but beautiful and really lovely to listen to. Not a life changing album, but I'm assured he gets much better.

race you.

One of my favourite albums.

Bit enraged: after finding out about an Explosions in the sky gig in sheff Months ago, I tried to buy tickets last week and they were sold out. fail.

on a lighter note: I did get my hands on tickets for Simian Mobile Disco instead. Really looking forward to that.

I've heard so much about him - I really need to listen to him too.

Might buy Closing Time.

It's on Spotify, have a listen on there.

Heh, will do. :)

The man is prolific, just looked and Rain Dogs is 7 albums away.

I heard "Sexy Bitch" for the first time whilst in a car a few days ago (I was like "What's this?" before the driver burst into the chorus whilst doing an utterly terrifying dance with her shoulders whilst driving), and have loved the chorus ever since. Couldn't give a toss about the verses, but the chorus up until the "Daaaamn you's a sexy bitch" finishes is so damn danceable.

Edited by Slaggis

LOVE this song. Been listening to it non-stop for days.

Also been listening to Kelly Clarkson, really want to see her live. Been listening to "Cry" for days.

This is from Muse's Friday night gig at teignmouth. Though they still played Resistance on the Saturday when I saw them, just this is the best audio quality I've found:

Also are there many who are into Avenged Sevenfold here? I really like a lot of their music - seen them live once also - but have only now got around to buying their CD's... anyone got any favourite tracks?

Yeah, i've got all their albums. I need to be in a particular mood to listen to them, not one of those 'whenever' bands for me. It's not just hard stuff they're good at, give Dear God a try, got a bit of a country twang to it.

Much as I don't want to because of Paj and co, I'm slowly taking a liking to Bjork. Army of me is a great song.

Much as I don't want to because of Paj and co, I'm slowly taking a liking to Bjork. Army of me is a great song.

Please don't be offput by the fact that a handful of us - including myself - keep talking about her, it's all good I assure you. :)

Army of Me is indeed a great song, one of her best and I'm glad that you like it :D I won't recommend any other of her songs - I've done enough of that recently :heh: - but if do want any suggestions then let us know.

Nice to know people actively don't listen to music because it's recommended by a small bunch of us. That makes this thread worthwhile.

But anyway, good to see another fan.

Nice to know people actively don't listen to music because it's recommended by a small bunch of us. That makes this thread worthwhile.

Nothing personal, just the amount of times i've heard her mentioned on here has driven me up the wall a bit. I feel like disliking or hating her would be the n europe equivalent of treason.

That's obviously aimed at myself and selected others. It's a bit short sighted to think that I wouldn't listen to something because you or somebody else recommended it. I can't dislike something if I've never heard it. The reason i dont like Bjork and co is because I genuinely don't like the music, not because you've recommended it. I've started listening to a few bands that I probably wouldn't have known about if it were not for this thread.

It's not quite that blunt but I think a lot of people maybe feel alienated when the thread is mostly populated by posts of say two or three of us mainly talking about one artist such as Bjork... people may well be aware of the artist in question but possibly have not given them a proper chance or plan to listen to them just not at the same time as others happen to be.

And so when people then start warming to said artist a few months later after maybe posting saying that "it's not for me" several months before, it can come across that they have maybe been deliberately not listening because of the frequent recommendations, but that's not necessarilly the case; some people just like to discover music for themselves...

Take my recent listenings of PJ Harvey for example... now I know that she had been mentioned several times in this very thread before but it wasn't until I happened upon a couple of her CD's in an independant music store that I actually actively started to show an interest in her, as I had made no effort previously to get into her despite the recommendations.

However now I'm glad that I did of course... :heh: ultimately people aren't going to listen to every recommendation that's posted here but it is nice when they get acknowledged but I think that recommending music that might be new to others is a good thing but it's up to the individual to then decide whether they like it or not.

I think making the effort to listen to different things is good every now and then as it gives you a chance to broaden your musical tastes and you may even end up surprising yourself in the process :) I actually decided at the beginning of this year to listen to more varied music, I've taken on-board the suggestions of a good few people who have posted here as well as choosing a few different artists for myself and personally I'm glad that I did because its made me realise how much more there is out there to be discovered.

So to anyone who's thinking of trying something different in music, take that chance because sometimes it can be very rewarding indeed. :D

It's been a long time since I've heard anything by Bjork. Several reasons for that with the most prominent being that I was never really into her music/that style of music during the last time I listened to anything by her. I've got friends who go on about her stuff and perhaps she's someone I should go and listen to now that I'm much more open to different styles of music. Yes, I may post similar stuff in here or things from the same genre more often than not but I do listen to a much wider array of stuff than I sometimes let on. So, yeh I may take the time to listen to some of her stuff. Where would you recommend starting from Paj/Chair/SCG? What is ideally the best place to begin with with her music/her best album?

As for today's listenings, it's been a mixed lot. Bit of Regina Spektor, The Smiths, Doves and others courtesy of the soundtrack to 500 Days of Summer. Even if that film hadn't have been any good, the soundtrack would still have made it great. Going to search through my father's CD collection to see if he has some stuff by the Smiths. I'm sure I remember seeing something.

This is from Muse's Friday night gig at teignmouth. Though they still played Resistance on the Saturday when I saw them, just this is the best audio quality I've found:

That cetainly is not highest quality video

Where would you recommend starting from Paj/Chair/SCG? What is ideally the best place to begin with with her music/her best album?

For Bjork I would say start from her first album Debut but as for her best album? Homogenic is widely regarded but for me they are all good in their own ways, still though I would say getting hold of her first album is a good starting point and then if you decide you want to listen to more then carry on chronologically. :)

Yeah, i've got all their albums. I need to be in a particular mood to listen to them, not one of those 'whenever' bands for me. It's not just hard stuff they're good at, give Dear God a try, got a bit of a country twang to it.

Forgot to say this earlier... thanks JonSt, I've ordered all their albums recently so I'll be sure to give Dear God a listen asap. :)

That's obviously aimed at myself and selected others. It's a bit short sighted to think that I wouldn't listen to something because you or somebody else recommended it. I can't dislike something if I've never heard it. The reason i dont like Bjork and co is because I genuinely don't like the music, not because you've recommended it. I've started listening to a few bands that I probably wouldn't have known about if it were not for this thread.

It wasn't really aimed at you, as I know you and others genuinely don't like her stuff.

It was just how ipaul phrased it I think.

----

Ganepark; as S.C.G said, best is to start at Debut, but it's her second-worst (in a line of brilliant albums, so that's not exactly bashing it) album. However it lays foundations, and has lots of popular/catchy songs. Homogenic, Vespertine and Medulla are her best artistically.

Thank you to whoever recommended Psapp! Brilliant group.

I was just listening to Jack Johnson and it made me wonder what everyones favourite artists/songs to chill to are?

I was just listening to Jack Johnson and it made me wonder what everyones favourite artists/songs to chill to are?

I used to listen to Jack Johnson quite a lot a while back :) he's not that brilliant to me anymore though but as you said it is good chill music, I rather enjoy Inbetween Dreams plus Brushfire Fairytales mainly for the tracks Sexi Plexi and Bubble Toes but as for his last album Sleep Through The Static... it was quite aptly titled I thought because that's what it felt like for me when listening to it, rather dissapointing. :sad:

Thank you to whoever recommended Psapp! Brilliant group.

Yeah, Jack is pure chillage whenever I hear him. For me it's probably John Mayer, especially his first album - Room for Squares.

I'll take it one step further, which band(s) inspire you whenever you hear them? For me it's probably Angels and Airwaves and Explosions in The Sky.

The Postal Service - This Place Is A Prison

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

This song is great to sit back and simply relax. I guess I'll have to buy an album by The Postal Service.

In November I'm going to see Billy Talent, Muse, Rise Against, a german band called Ohrbooten and possibly The Prodigy (Special Guest: Enter Shikari). Whoooo, great month.:bouncy:

I'll take it one step further, which band(s) inspire you whenever you hear them? For me it's probably Angels and Airwaves and Explosions in The Sky.

I have their first album, haven't listened to them in a while but I do like some of their tracks as they sound rather uplifting at times.

As for personal bands / artists that have inspired me when listening to them... Bjork, Elbow, Foo Fighters, Interpol, Joanna Newsom, Kate Bush, Linkin Park, Michael Jackson, Muse, NIN, Nirvana, PJ Harvey, Portishead, Queen, Queens of the Stone Age, Radiohead, Temple of the Dog & Tori Amos.