NEurope

I have their first album, haven't listened to them in a while but I do like some of their tracks as they sound rather uplifting at times.

As for personal bands / artists that have inspired me when listening to them... Bjork, Elbow, Foo Fighters, Interpol, Joanna Newsom, Kate Bush, Linkin Park, Michael Jackson, Muse, NIN, Nirvana, PJ Harvey, Portishead, Queen, Queens of the Stone Age, Radiohead, Temple of the Dog & Tori Amos.

Should give the second one a listen, It's far better in my opinion that the first one.

The Postal Service - This Place Is A Prison

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

This song is great to sit back and simply relax. I guess I'll have to buy an album by The Postal Service.

The only album by the Postal Service unfortunately :(

I finally decided to give Bjork Gudmundsdottir (Bjork's official first album) a listen and while I did like it for its novelty value I didn't actually love it as I do her other 'proper' albums... but then the album is sung in Icelandic when she was 11 so it's to be expected. :heh:

Back to her more famous albums... I'll be giving Volta a listen today (her latest album) should be good. :)

So - any thoughts on the Mercury Prize, forum?

Florence looks to take it (which I'd be fine with. Lungs was unexpectedly great) but I'd kinda like to see Friendly Fires pick up the award too. They're refreshingly poppy and exciting at a time when rock is increasingly moribund.

I'd prefer Florence to win it as I feel that it'd be more deserved but I'd be fine with Friendly Fires winning it as well, I haven't listened to them a lot but out of the songs I have heard I do like them and they are indeed refreshing.

So - any thoughts on the Mercury Prize, forum?

Florence looks to take it (which I'd be fine with. Lungs was unexpectedly great) but I'd kinda like to see Friendly Fires pick up the award too. They're refreshingly poppy and exciting at a time when rock is increasingly moribund.

I posted my thoughts a few times a while back. Been listening to some of the albums that have been nominated.

I love Florence, Bat For Lashes and La Roux, but I don't think La Roux is really Mercury-winning. Bat For Lashes second nom in as many albums, but I really think Fur & Gold is 20 times better than Two Panets. But I'd like her to win. Florence's album was unexpectedly great. I'd like her to win too.

I liked The Horrors album a lot. The Invisible bored me to tears. Except one song I can't remember. Lisa Hannigan's album is nice, but a bit unerwhelming. Friendly fires was enjoyable.

Yep. Its fucking brilliant :yay:

Although many people disagree...

I've listened to it about 3 times now (it's quite short! I can listen to it one-and-a-half times on the way to work), and yes, it's growing. At The Bottom sounds very influenced by their recent touring friends Manchester Orchestra, and the album as a whole is louder, heavier and less angst or lost as the previous albums' tones were. There's one song I facepalm at -- that one where the vocals flicker on and off rapidly so you can never quite tell what it is that is being sung. Bit pretentious and, honestly, grating to listen to.

But more listens are needed!

I want Florence to win the Mercury Prize. I'm still reeling from how good Lungs is.

Just the fact that Dog Days Are Over makes shuck and jive in my doorway.

Bat For Lashes deservse it too. But I prefer she didn't win, and wrote a third, better album.

I've listened to it about 3 times now (it's quite short! I can listen to it one-and-a-half times on the way to work), and yes, it's growing. At The Bottom sounds very influenced by their recent touring friends Manchester Orchestra, and the album as a whole is louder, heavier and less angst or lost as the previous albums' tones were. There's one song I facepalm at -- that one where the vocals flicker on and off rapidly so you can never quite tell what it is that is being sung. Bit pretentious and, honestly, grating to listen to.

But more listens are needed!

I'm liking the album so far, particularly the first half. At The Bottom and Gasoline are awesome, Vices is great other than the weird intro thing. More listens are needed though to get to know the second half better.

As Dan Dare says, they sucked. One hit wonder, if you could call that song of theirs that was popular a hit, although my forgetting of it's name pretty much sums up the band.

I posted my thoughts a few times a while back. Been listening to some of the albums that have been nominated.

I love Florence, Bat For Lashes and La Roux, but I don't think La Roux is really Mercury-winning. Bat For Lashes second nom in as many albums, but I really think Fur & Gold is 20 times better than Two Panets. But I'd like her to win. Florence's album was unexpectedly great. I'd like her to win too.

I liked The Horrors album a lot. The Invisible bored me to tears. Except one song I can't remember. Lisa Hannigan's album is nice, but a bit unerwhelming. Friendly fires was enjoyable.

I'd forgotten about BFL being in the running. I really like her album, too. Hmm. I think I'm alone here thinking that her second album was an improvement though.

How To Save A Life. It didn't offend me, but it wasn't very good either.

--

Anyone have any favourite mash-ups?

I'd forgotten about BFL being in the running. I really like her album, too. Hmm. I think I'm alone here thinking that her second album was an improvement though.

I hated the production. It sounds dated and indistinct, but not in a good way.

I think song-wise, they're on par with each other, shown in a live setting, but on album, Two Suns is a bit blah for me.

Edited by Paj!
Automerged Doublepost

Maybe it's tastes. In any case, it's always better than I remember it. Listening now, it's not too bad, to be fair, but in retrospect, it always seems so. Curiouser and curiouser.

Maybe it's cause I changed the FUGLY cover on my iTunes to the superior back cover.

TWOSUNS.jpg

Cheryl Coles first solo single

After the third listen, it's not as abysmal as it was (though, I still don't like it). But still, you would have thought after the amount of talk of her solo career, she could have made a slightly better first single.

Cheryl Coles first solo single

After the third listen, it's not as abysmal as it was (though, I still don't like it). But still, you would have thought after the amount of talk of her solo career, she could have made a slightly better first single.

Thats awful. First I hate the way she's singing, secondly there's too much shit going on in the background, and finally the lyrics are rubbish and uninteresting.

The chorus to that song is better than the rest by far. The rest is really...bad.

But then it's awful for the mere fact it's a cookie-cutter "2009 hit!" with those beats in the background.

Been listening to a lot of older Goo's stuff lately. Dizzy up the Girl is such an epic album in my eyes. The song (Black Balloon) is one of my favorites.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Posted it way back, but with it's release I'm loving it to bits all over again. Aboslutely adore the video too. (Think it's done by the same guy that did Paparazzi, unless I'm mistaken).

And just saw this. Another track from her just released EP in America. I love her voice, and it's nice to see a pop slut be able to sing an upbeat song damn well.

Edited by Slaggis

Posted it way back, but with it's release I'm loving it to bits all over again. Aboslutely adore the video too. (Think it's done by the same guy that did Paparazzi, unless I'm mistaken).

Kept reminding me of some kind of child-friendly version of

. (nsfw sortof)

The song's ok, not as catchy as his older songs.

I'm with you there. I very much prefer Bat For Lashes Second album. :)

And just saw this. Another track from her just released EP in America. I love her voice, and it's nice to see a pop slut be able to sing an upbeat song damn well.

Saw this awhile ago but...:heart: