• PlayStation2 295,000
  • Xbox 360 228,000
  • PlayStation Portable 176,000
  • Game Boy Advance 136,000
  • PlayStation3 127,000
  • GameCube 24,000
  • Xbox 480

Source: The NPD Group.

Shame not seeying Sonic in the Top 10 sales.

Good sales for Wii though. And bad sales for PS3.

I find it crazy that the GBA is selling better over the PS3.

Ouch! - 35 VIRTUA FIGHTER 5 (PS3) 53k

I got this from a person on another board and he cant post all of it.

----------------------

Total U.S. console software sales for February were $441 million, +28% compared to last year’s $345 million, and much higher than our +20% estimate. Nintendo and Microsoft accounted for $79 million of the $96 million increase in sales.

The upside to our estimates reflects substantially higher than expected next generation console and handheld (360, Wii, PS3, DS and PSP) software sales. Next generation software sales increased $176 million, $35 million above our estimate, with the bulk of the upside attributable to higher than expected console software sales. Current generation software sales were –33% (down $80 million), more than our expectation of –29%, with a 15% decrease in PS2 software sales greater than our expected –7%.

Activision, Electronic Arts, and THQ each came in below our expectations, while the other five publishers we cover met our expectations.

We expect double digit monthly sales growth to persist through July, with releases such as God of War 2 (March), Guitar Hero 2 for Xbox 360, Pokemon Diamond/Pearl, and Spider-Man 3 (April), Shrek the Third and Mass Effect (May), Ratatouille (June), and Transformers, Harry Potter, and The Simpsons (all in July) driving favorable year-over-year sales. Total 2006 software sales (including PC) were +6% compared to 2005, and we believe that 2007 software sales will be +17%, with strong sales in the first quarter (+41% in the first two months) moderating to low double-digit growth during the second and third quarters when year-over-year comparisons become more difficult.

We expect mixed market reaction to the sales data. While overall growth this month was substantially stronger than expected, most of the upside came from Microsoft and Nintendo, not from our covered companies. We expect some industry observers to express concern about slowing sales of next generation hardware.

Overall sales were much higher than our $415 million forecast (+20%) as next generation console software sales substantially exceeded our estimates. In 2006, console software sales (excluding PC) were $6.45 billion, a year-over- year increase of 6%. Including PC software sales, 2006 industry growth was also +6%. 2006 was a record year for U.S. software sales, barely eclipsing the record set in 2004, and we expect 2007 growth of +17%.

The average selling price of all games (console and handheld, current and next generation) in February was $33.31, +11% over last February’s $30.05 ASP, with lower pricing on current generation and catalog software more than offset by higher pricing on next generation software. Unit sales were up 15%. There were 10 games selling more than 100,000 units apiece in February vs. our estimate of seven and compared to five last year. The top 10 games captured 23% of dollar sales and 14% in unit sales in February versus 19% and 11% last month, reflecting higher demand for new releases.

Next generation (PS3, Wii, 360, PSP, DS) software sales totaled $275 million, compared to our $240 million forecast. The upside was primarily attributable to dramatically higher than expected sales of 360 and Wii games.

Current generation (PS2, Xbox, GC, GBA) software sales of $165 million were lower than our expectations of $175 million. PS2 software sales were down 15% year-over-year, slightly below recent trends, but suggesting that strength on this platform may be sustainable well into 2007. Our full year forecast presumes a decline of 30% for PS2 software for the year, and it appears to us that sales will be sustainable at this level or better throughout the year.

The sales pattern over the last few months had suggested to us that consumers are less concerned about the transition than they have been in prior console cycles. Demand for the PS3 is tracking below our expectations, while demand for the Wii remains strong. Once demand for the PS3 picks up later this year, we expect a greater decline in PS2 software sales. Although we expect a year-over-year decline of 30 – 35% for overall current generation software sales in 2007, we believe that next generation software sales growth will more than offset this decline.

We were pleasantly surprised by software attach rates and overall sales for the Wii and PS3 platforms. We estimated $70 million in software sales for the PS3 and Wii, based on our expectation of a tie ratio of 2.4 units for each hardware unit sold (350,000 Wii hardware units x $50 ASP x 2.4 plus 200,000 PS3 hardware units x $60 ASP x 2.4). Although overall hardware sales for the two platforms fell short of our forecast by 16%, overall software sales exceeded our forecast by 17%.

This was due to this month’s tie ratios of 3.4 and 3.6 for the PS3 and Wii, respectively, compared to last month’s 2.2 tie ratio for the Wii and 2.7 tie ratio for the PS3. While some detractors may consider the next generation cycle off to a poor start, we think that improving tie ratios indicate strong demand for the relatively light software lineup on the next gen consoles, and we believe that once a greater variety of compelling software is released later this year, demand for the new hardware will increase.

Top Selling Games By Platform For February 2007 (By Retail Sales $)

360 Title Publisher

1 CRACKDOWN Microsoft

2 GEARS OF WAR Microsoft

3 MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL 2K7 Take 2 Interactive

Wii Title Publisher

1 PLAY W/ REMOTE Nintendo

2 The Legend of Zelda:Twilight Princess Nintendo

3 WARIOWARE: SMOOTH MOVES Nintendo

PS2 Title Publisher

1 GUITAR HERO 2 W/GUITAR Activision

2 MLB '07: THE SHOW Sony

3 WWE SMACKDOWN VS. RAW 2007 THQ

Handhelds Title Publisher

NDS DIDDY KONG RACING Nintendo

NDS NEW SUPER MARIO BROS Nintendo

NDS MARIO KART Nintendo

PS3 Title Publisher

1 RESISTANCE: FALL OF MAN Sony

2 VIRTUA FIGHTER 5 Sega

3 MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL 2K7 Take 2 Interactive

GC Title Publisher

1 The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess Nintendo

2 NARUTO: CLASH OF NINJA 2 D3 Publisher of America

3 SUPER SMASH BRO MELEE Nintendo

Xbox Title Publisher

1 HALO 2 Microsoft

2 MADDEN NFL 07 Electronic Arts

3 MORTAL KOMBAT: ARMAGEDDON Midway

Wow, I'd lvoe to be a fly on the wall in the Sony board room. The DS seems unstoppable, I just hope the Wii can keep this up, as I want the PS3 to fail.

I see

Whoaa Wii goes crazy again.

PS3 isn't really that bad to say it's $599. I bet a fair few are waiting for a price drop, then bang.

PS2 selling out 360 yet again.

I don't want any to fail. I want them all to be happy together. ^_^ Pure gaming bliss.

Wow, I'd lvoe to be a fly on the wall in the Sony board room. The DS seems unstoppable, I just hope the Wii can keep this up, as I want the PS3 to fail.

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart::yay::bowdown::heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

I dont want the PS3 to 'fail'. I want to see Wii do extremely well and if this results in the stated scenario I wont be shedding any tears. Sony above all must be made to learn that they cant continue their recent business practices.

If the Wii keeps up it's trend in Japan then the US will be selling more Wiis.

Good figures for February though.

Well, Sony's business practice of stealing innovative designs and passing them off as their own, encouraging game producers to flood the market with crap, not to mention their constant digs at everyone else in the industry - they deserve to go down, and go down hard.

Personally, I don;t think it's silly to want Sony to fail with the PS3. As far as I'm concerned the PSOne and PS2 domination of the market has done little for gaming. The real innovation has always come from Nintendo, and it's about time Sony got a beating.

February totals for Japan + US + Canada:

Wii 660k

360 259k

PS3 219k

Poor Ps3 and psp...not selling too well!

I'm surprised from Dantes last post actually. 360 is barely selling in Japan yet worldwide it still beat PS3...nice.

I'm surprised from Dantes last post actually. 360 is barely selling in Japan yet worldwide it still beat PS3...nice.

Well, ignoring PAL regions, anyway. Then again, with PAL regions, the 360 does have a slight advantage over the PS3.

Well, Sony's business practice of stealing innovative designs and passing them off as their own,

There's no denying Sony "borrows" ideas from other companies, but so does everyone. People weren't up in arms when Nintendo unveiled their 'revolutionary' controller that had already existed on PC's for about 10 years. I wonder why.

encouraging game producers to flood the market with crap,

That's odd. Most hardcore gamers and casual gamers think that the PS1 and 2 had the best software of their respective generations.

not to mention their constant digs at everyone else in the industry

I think Nintendo where the ones who claimed Sony got the idea for Home from their Mii system.

Personally, I don;t think it's silly to want Sony to fail with the PS3.

I believe wanting any comany to fail, and no doubt cause many people to lose jobs is so stupid I wish everyone who thinks that way would burst into flames.

As far as I'm concerned the PSOne and PS2 domination of the market has done little for gaming.

Except turn gaming into the biggest industry currently on the planet. But it's fine to ignore that if you really want to make an ignorant responce.

The real innovation has always come from Nintendo,

:D Whatever you say.

It appears more Canadians are opening their wallet and grabbing a controller.

Canadian consumers spent $152 million on the video game industry the first two months of 2007, up 61 per cent over the same period last year, with Nintendo leading the way - while helping bring new gamers into the fold.

Nintendo's next-generation Wii console topped Canadian unit hardware sales in February and Nintendo's games accounted for six of the top 10 selling titles in the month, according to The NPD Group, which tracks the industry.

The healthy 2007 sales figures follow a record year in which Canadians spent $933 million on video game hardware, software and accessories - up 22 per cent from 2005. The boom was sparked in part by the November introduction of the Nintendo Wii and Sony's PlayStation 3, plus strong sales of the Xbox 360 and Nintendo's handheld DS system.

Darrel Ryce, director of technology and entertainment for the NPD Group, says Nintendo appears to have attracted a new audience with the Wii.

"You're getting non-traditional gamers who are more than willing to spend $300 to get a system and use it," Ryce said in an interview Thursday.

"I think that's the key difference here. The PlayStation 3, with its price point, is really geared towards the traditional gamer who has no problem spending that kind of money to get into a system."

At $279.99, the Wii is cheaper than its next generation rivals ($399 and $499 for the Xbox 360 and $549 and $659 for the PlayStation 3 depending on model). Plus its innovative controller, which can be used to simulate on screen everything from a fishing rod to a baseball bat, has proved popular with consumers.

The Wii was the top-selling console in February in terms of unit sales, followed by the PlayStation 2 - with consumers taken advantages of lower prices for the PS2 machine.

The Nintendo DS was third, ahead of the Xbox 360, the PSP, Nintendo's GameBoy Advance and the PlayStation 3.

The Wii controller was also the top-selling accessory in February.

In terms of hardware sales revenue, the Wii also led the field in February with the Xbox 360 second and the PS3 third.

"The 360 is doing very well," said Ryce. "They have some top titles in the market as well."

The 360 game Crackdown ranked second in February sales, behind only Nintendo's Wii Play. Lost Planet was No. 6 and Gears of War was No. 9 - both for the 360.

Traditionally, video game sales peak in the holiday season at the end of he year. December 2006, for example, accounted for 29 per cent of the entire video game industry for the year.

Ryce expects 2007 figures to stay hot - despite the normal lull in advance of fourth-quarter releases - as consumers continue to buy new hardware and add to their software collection.

"All three new console systems are doing well, holding their own and definitely selling product," Ryce said.

The lone PS3 game in the top 20 February sales chart was Resistance: Fall of Man at No. 20, although Sony had two PS2 games on the chart (Guitar Hero 2 at No. 10 and EA's made-in-Canada NHL 07 at No. 11) and a PSP title (Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters at No. 16).

Games for Nintendo hardware (Wii, DS, GameCube and GameBoy Advance) occupied 11 of the 20 places on the sales chart with Xbox 360 claiming the remaining five.

© The Canadian Press, 2007

11 to 21 have been told. :)

1. Crackdown (Xbox 360) Microsoft
  2. Wii Play w/ Remote (Wii) Nintendo
  3. Diddy Kong Racing (NDS) Nintendo
  4. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii) Nintendo
  5. Guitar Hero II w/ Guitar (PlayStation 2) Red Octane
  6. Gears of War (Xbox 360) Microsoft
  7. Major League Baseball 2K7 (Xbox 360) 2K Games
  8. Lost Planet: Extreme Condition (Xbox 360) Capcom
  9. Wario Ware: Smooth Moves (Wii) Nintendo
  10. NBA Street Homecourt (Xbox 360) Electronic Arts
  11. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas (Xbox 360) Ubisoft
  12. Sonic and the Secret Rings (Wii) SEGA
  13. Resistance: Fall of Man (PlayStation 3) Sony Computer Entertainment
  14. MLB '07: the Show (PlayStation 2) Sony Computer Entertainment
  15. Madden NFL '07 (PlayStation 2) Electronic Arts
  16. God of War (PlayStation 2) Sony Computer Entertainment
  17. Mortal Kombat: Armageddon (PlayStation 2) Midway
  18. Fight Night Round 3 (Xbox 360) Electronic Arts
  19. Fight Night Round 3 (PlayStation 2) Electronic Arts
  20. Rayman Raving Rabbids (Wii) Ubisoft
  21. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (GameCube) Nintendo

I don't want any company to "fail" but I want a nice healthy competition and it will make for many happy gamers. Besides none of the consoles deserves to fail, they're all great.

Why would you want that? Seems a little childish.

Because they deserve it. Plus i got tired of playstation eventually. Ps1 was fantastic as as ps2 but psp just took the piss and the ps3 has nothing worthwhile yet and is really not helped by the fact that god of war 2 is one of ps2s best games ever

Because they deserve it. Plus i got tired of playstation eventually. Ps1 was fantastic as as ps2 but psp just took the piss and the ps3 has nothing worthwhile yet and is really not helped by the fact that god of war 2 is one of ps2s best games ever

I'm pleased to see others share the same view as me, I'm sure plenty of people want to see Sony take a good kicking. I'm a bit worried by the way Wii sales are dropping off a bit in Japan.