NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
-JC-

Wii Sales Surpass 5 Million Mark

I just happened to note my forum sig, which is updated by NexGen Wars ( http://nexgenwars.com/ ). They seem to be a fairly reputable site, so I thought I'd post it here. The Wii's sales at the time of writing are 5,001,908, the PS3 is at 1,590,269 and the Xbox 360 is at a grand total of 10,734,947.

That puts the current pecking order at

Xbox 360

10,734,947 sales, 62.0% market share, 14 months availability (776,782/month average sales)

Wii

5,001,908 sales, 28.9% market share, 4 months availability (1,250,477/month average sales)

PS3

1,590,269 sales, 9.2% market share, 4 months availability (397,567/month average sales)

Before you say it, the percentages are rounded to 1dp, so that's why there's a total of 100.1% of the next gen market :-p

That monthly average is pretty impressive! Bear in mind that PS3 has been hit by production problems and hasn't seen a worldwide release and the Xbox 360 has had a year head start on the market for the average sales to be a bit lower than the hype of a new, cheaper and more available (at launch) machine.

Looks like the Wii has made a sizeable dent in the total sales of next-gen consoles already! Still, I can only see the Xbox 360's sales increasing as more and more quality titles roll out, and the PS3 will soon be making a large jump with the European and Australian launch while the Wii's stream of titles has slowed as of late (yes, I know SSX, Sonic and Excite Truck, but please can we have more must-haves!?)

Anyhow, I hope I've posted this in the right place. I know I've also only quoted one source, but I can't really find another decent source that gathers sales info. Hope that's alright.

Congratulations. And celebrations. We're about as happy as can be.

Yeah, that's understandable. As I said, I believe NexGen to be a fairly reputable source, but it does at least give a reasonable overview on the current state of the market. Sorry again that I couldn't quote any more sources on this.

Edit:

Way over the real figure I think, maybe 3 million, but 5? I doubt that many have been produced yet.
Nintendo and other sources have already confirmed corssing the 4m mark almost a month ago as far as I remember (new posts coming too quickly for me to find the link, but I'll try in a minute or two), so at that rate of sales, is 5m too unreasonable? Remember, the production isn't really much of an issue since the Wii isn't composed of anything that hasn't been around for a while (blue laser diodes, I'm looking at you)

Edit 2:

http://games.techwhack.com/803/nintendo-wii-idc/

Nintendo is having a blockbuster time with the Wii sales. It continues to remain out of stock in most major markets. It has already sold more than 4 million units worldwide

http://www.playfuls.com/news_06302_Wii_Outsells_Xbox_360_and_PS3_in_US_Sony_Still_Not_Worried.html

Nintendo also declared last month that it had met its original forecast of shipping 4 million units by the end of 2006, and that the company is still on track to deliver 7 million Wii units by the end of this fiscal year, which ends on March 31st.

http://www.vooks.net/modules.php?module=article&id=11497

Nintendo dominated the sales in January and has sold over 4 million consoles worldwide since it's initial release last November. Compared to the Xbox 360 which has sold just shy of 10 million since it launched more than a year ago Nintendo are dead set on there way to conquering the top spot, even if it's for a short while.

Fucking hell. I don't think anyone could have predicted this much success.

It'll be interesting to see what's happening another 5 months from now, but still. Christ.

This is quite phenomenal. There is no chance of it fizzling out quickly like GC.

Quite amazing it's been so successful with only one decent game.

Wario Ware

Twilight Princess

Red Steel

Virtual Console games

Excite Truck

Sonic

more...

One decent game eh?

I dont have a problem trusting the Wii sales. I am however wondering how many 360s sold are replacements.

I can't imagine more than a 1-3% failure rate, whatever the media are saying. I believe that's a case of the people who 360's have failed being able to be more vocal over the various channels of the internet, and being more angry over the fact that it's a costly piece of equipment that's failed rather than something cheaper. I know I'm a hell of a lot more angry if one of my graphics cards or my CPU fails in my PC rather than something cheaper like a DVD drive or hard drive.

Then again, 1-3% is still 100,000-300,000 units, so maybe you have a point.

Like others i'll wait for official numbers.

When the actual AAA games come out I can't wait for the sales numbers.

Wario Ware

Twilight Princess

Red Steel

Virtual Console games

Excite Truck

Sonic

more...

And Madden. Don't forget Madden.

Way over the real figure I think, maybe 3 million, but 5? I doubt that many have been produced yet.

Actually, if we take known numbers so far, Wii is around 5.3 mark. This number has Media-Create's current numbers, NPD's numbers after January and Chart-Tracks numbers after January. I don't find this surprising at all, as Nintendo's current aim is to manufacture 6 million Wiis before end of march. I believe after february's and march's sales numbers, Wii is around 6 million mark or maybe little bit higher.

They seem to be a fairly reputable site,

When was that decided? I thought we decided they were just guessing....

When was that decided? I thought we decided they were just guessing....

NextGenwars is just guessing (you can even ask this from the owner).

http://vgcharts.org/, in the other hand, is quite trustworthy, as they use Media-Create and NPD as their main source. My only problem with VGCharts is that they often add official estimations to sales numbers, and then adjust numbers again when confirmed numbers come out. For example, currently their Wii numbers probably have air because Wedbush Morgan estimated that Wii sold 300 000 units in February. This might be true, or perhaps it isn't. No matter what the truth is, I would wait for official numbers before changing number of sold units.

Quite amazing it's been so successful with only one decent game.

How many times have I said to you "Get Excitetruck, joe?"

Millions! That's how many! :heh:

Bear in mind that PS3 has been hit by production problems

Yes, but we keep reading that PS3's are just sitting on the shelves despite 'production problems'.

Yes, but we keep reading that PS3's are just sitting on the shelves despite 'production problems'.

Like this? ;)

20070210.jpg

And yes, those photos are real and taken by Gabe and Tycho.

To be fair, I reckon PS3 is finally starting to get its act together. What with Motorstorm and LBP and all:

20070309.jpg

Sign in to follow this