N-Europe

No New Info For GDC

Dante

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are also announcing Sony Home. It's fairly clear after Kotaku debacle, and after someone noticed that Sony Home was trademarked about month ago. :)

But we don't exactly know they'll probably come out and say you must had home combatibility from each game now on - plus add achievements, etc.

Plus oh wait you got to add rumble we are now allowing you to add rumble to every game - with improved battery life.

And then 60% of developers will say some less work for ports, 30% saying ok then, with an extra 10% of pissed off developers.

On an extra note we don't know really if they'll announce it now or at the european launch of ps3

What's Sony Home?

Kotaku.com caused a stir after receiving a rumour about a Playstation feature to be announced at GDC next week. PlayStation Home as they were informed would be “Sony's blending of achievements and Miis”.

Their source went on to describe the Playstation Home, “Basically, you get to make an avatar for your console (like a Mii) and this avatar has a room. As you play games and accomplish certain tasks, you will receive items with which to adorn the room that are specific to the game (achievements). The kicker is that this is going to be a new requirement for every PS3 game.”

Source

I love how they say it's a blend of achievements and Miis, basically "We're stealing from both our competitors.."

That actually makes me sick, for gods sake if that comes true then Sony don't deserve any credibility any more.
Indeed, more than not deserving any credibility, they wouldn't deserve any respect.

Oh well, I can already smell something along the lines of last E3 "look at our inovative motion sensing controller!!"

Indeed, more than not deserving any credibility, they wouldn't deserve any respect.

Oh well, I can already smell something along the lines of last E3 "look at our inovative motion sensing controller!!"

Well motion sensitive controllers have been out for a while before both Nintendos and sony controllers came out. I hate it how people have had a go at sony, but when nintedno steals an idea its like - OMG Nintenodo are king they never steal ideas.

If Nintendo saw an idea which is successful for another company they will steal it.

Well motion sensitive controllers have been out for a while before both Nintendos and sony controllers came out. I hate it how people have had a go at sony, but when nintedno steals an idea its like - OMG Nintenodo are king they never steal ideas.

If Nintendo saw an idea which is successful for another company they will steal it.

Well, the wiimore was original for a change, even if there was motion controllers before they didn't cover the Z coordenate and they never took off to begin with. Same with DS touch screen really, did nintendo invent it? no, but they used it on games and they were the first. we could go on, joystick's, rumble technology, etc.

If Nintendo didn't use motion sensing Sony wouldn't either, so for them to claim it is innovative is just pretentious bullshit, lack of respect and arrogance.

In contrast... Nintendo is innovative, and that's a fact, they are willing to take a risk, and the wiimote was a big risk, everything that off that comes of that shadow now, mimicking it does just that, mimic; the concept was proven before.

I wonder if we really wont get any worthwhile info at GDC this week. The rumor about Nintendo wanting to buy back 1.4% stock, thus not being allowed to make new announcements.

If true, it really is such a bad timing. They've got Miyamoto there, easily the biggest keynote at GDC. They've also got Eiji Aonuma and Koji Kondo at the condeference, not to mention other developers giving Nintendo-centric keynotes (Suda 51/No More Heroes, the Ouendan/EBA developers, EA/Maxis' MySims session).

If nothing special is mentioned, I really wonder if Nintendo couldn't plan the stock buying thing take place or before the GDC, assuming they can. This IS the biggest opportunity for Sony to make a comeback though. They need to gain momentum again and quite frankly, I think they will...

Only a few more days to go!

Well, the wiimore was original for a change, even if there was motion controllers before they didn't cover the Z coordenate and they never took off to begin with. Same with DS touch screen really, did nintendo invent it? no, but they used it on games and they were the first. we could go on, joystick's, rumble technology, etc.

If Nintendo didn't use motion sensing Sony wouldn't either, so for them to claim it is innovative is just pretentious bullshit, lack of respect and arrogance.

In contrast... Nintendo is innovative, and that's a fact, they are willing to take a risk, and the wiimote was a big risk, everything that off that comes of that shadow now, mimicking it does just that, mimic; the concept was proven before.

Have you ever heard of a PDA they had games that used a touch screen - but I guess your going to overlook that though. Also you seem to claim that motion sensitive controllers didn't use the Z axis for the controllers yes they did.

How do you know that sony would of copied for certain - seen as the debarcle with immersion was going on at the time they needed that extra something to put in their controller.

Yep Nintendo are so innovative thats how we have 1001 mario games. And about 1000 of those involve princess peach getting kidnapped. Lest we not forget that Nintendo are king of killing franchises by milkng them to death.

I would personally state that although Nintendo copied the idea of motion sensitivity from previous controllers in the past - they were the first ones to put it in a remote. And like I have currently stated Nintendo wouldn't of gone with the idea if they thought it wouldn't be profitable down the short road.

Is there any direct-feed from tomorows conference?

Hardly seen as the main keynotes are phil harison(wed) and Shigsy(Thurs)

GDC07.jpg

Friday - March 9th - Australian times

2:30am

WA

4:00am

NT

4:30am

QLD

5:00am

SA

5:30am

ACT' NSW, TAS, VIC

GDC07-1.jpg

The following Nintendo representatives will be attending GDC – but, by order of the company, will not be able to speak about forthcoming products due to a share deal currently in process that will see the Japanese government selling its Nintendo stock.

Shigeru Miyamoto (Mario creator and all-round genius)

Eiji Aonuma (Producer: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)

Koji Kondo (musician: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)

Reggie Fils-Aime (President and Chief Operating Officer of Nintendo of America)

Perrin Kaplan (vice president of Marketing & Corporate Affairs for Nintendo of America – and ‘Game Cube Killer’)

The government is selling 1.987-million shares - valued at 67.3 billion yen (£302-million) - but these are to be priced between today and March 8th. This means that any information that could be given to eager consumers, can’t be given to eager consumers in case it affects the price of the shares.

In short, until the Japanese government has - at the request of Nintendo - offloaded its shares, don't expect to hear anything new out of the company. The reason that Nintendo has requested the shares to be sold is nothing to dreadful, it simply wants more tradeable stock in the market. spong

good source there aussie :wink:

their wording is stupid:

The reason that Nintendo has requested the shares to be sold is nothing to dreadful, it simply wants more tradeable stock in the market. spong

Just simplifies it that bit to much, why not explain why Nintendo would want this?

Have you ever heard of a PDA they had games that used a touch screen - but I guess your going to overlook that though. Also you seem to claim that motion sensitive controllers didn't use the Z axis for the controllers yes they did.
PDA's are not games consoles, and never had any serious developer support to begin with, mostly indie stuff, I'm talking about consoles here.

Also point me a commercial controller before with motion sensing that did Z-axys, Microsoft Sidewinder pro was only X and Y coordinates, same for one or two tilt controllers that came out on PS1 that simply mapped the d-pad to motion sensors.

Also when whose controllers came out they had nothing going on for them, no one did a specific game for sidewinder, let alone some third party controllers for PSone. Not that it would make a real difference, but it never even took off, it didn't had legs to do so.

Wii's concept puts developers working with that controller as a standard, that's what means introducing rather than following after someone else did it.

As for Z-axys... Sure you might find some air force ones, but those are not the controllers the average joe has at home, and before the wii came no one had those.

The only company who was close to this was sega that actually developed NiGHTs 2 using motion sensing technology applied to a controller, including Z-axys, but the title was scrapped. Still it never made it to the outside market.

Still, even if this is the major implementation on the wiimote you still have a sound speaker for example, you can argue that it's not new (and you GB, DS, PSP has it), but it's new on home console controllers.

You have to give them that, massification of those concepts into gaming, that's all there is to it, we're not saying Nintendo invented motion sensing, touch screens or whatever, we are saying Nintendo introduced them successfully..

How do you know that sony would of copied for certain - seen as the debarcle with immersion was going on at the time they needed that extra something to put in their controller.
It's logic, for a start guess why was Nintendo the only brand that used rumble and was not involved with immersion case. (tip: rumble pack in 1997?)

Sony wouldn't use motion sensing if Nintendo didn't, I can agree it just felt convenient to them at that time, but that was also because if Wii was to take off they could always say they had it too.

Yep Nintendo are so innovative thats how we have 1001 mario games. And about 1000 of those involve princess peach getting kidnapped. Lest we not forget that Nintendo are king of killing franchises by milkng them to death.
Nintendo is so inovative that we've only had one Mario game for each home console generation since 1996, Mario 64, Mario Sunshine and the upcoming Mario galaxy... And they have completly diferent scenarios.

That's a load of games seriously, 3 games... Specially when Capcom, for example, invented and did 3 DMC's this generation alone.

As for princess peach getting kidnapped... it's already a running joke, simple as that... the goal is to make something completely ridiculous.

Besides, that's not the point since we're talking about hardware.

I would personally state that although Nintendo copied the idea of motion sensitivity from previous controllers in the past - they were the first ones to put it in a remote. And like I have currently stated Nintendo wouldn't of gone with the idea if they thought it wouldn't be profitable down the short road.
I wouldn't say they copied it, not when they were the first ones to introduce it sucessfully.

They also had used it before on GBC games such as tilt'n'trouble.

Sure they knew the existence of these controllers, but more than taking a GC controller and putting motion sensing in it they've done more than that, the others would just be used horizontally and tilted, there are games on wii that use that system, but you also have games were you use the wiimote as a pointer "it's like a lightgun", but the system is very innovative to say the least, as the sensor bar acts as a light beacon but it's the controller that capts that info and sends it over through a digital camera CCD sensor embedded, very clever.

As for being profitable... who's the company who'll invest on something not wanting money in return... captain obvious.

No offence to admins or mods but this guy does speak some complete garbage.

:nono:

I won't even reply to this, since this is flaming and I'm not really in the mood, but it makes me think why I did bother to reply to you in the first place with that attitude.

PDA's are not games consoles, and never had any serious developer support to begin with, mostly indie stuff, I'm talking about consoles here

Em yes their has stuff from studios that create especially for it and also from some mobile companies too, but saying your just talking about consoles means that you should discount pc's as game playing devices even though it has as you put it 'serious devloper support'. On PDA I have seen more commercial games on it like Worms, MB games, and stuff like that

And may I just point out to you the Z-coordinate is to move it up and down so if a motion controller can do that it uses the Z-axis. Even though you don't want to believe it, Nintendo fan boy.

You also point out kirbys tilt and tumble which was never released out here. I don't if wario ware twisted, or yoshis universal gravitation came out, but they didn't use the Z-axis you know ;)

It's logic, for a start guess why was Nintendo the only brand that used rumble and was not involved with immersion case. (tip: rumble pack in 1997?)

Sony wouldn't use motion sensing if Nintendo didn't, I can agree it just felt convenient to them at that time, but that was also because if Wii was to take off they could always say they had it too.

Thats why Sony were the first company to fully intergrate rumble into their controller without having to buy an extra part like the 64's rumble pack. Yet you seem totally stuck to realise what I'm saying is we don't know because they needed something extra to put in the controller, and that motion sensitivity was the extra special gift.

Nintendo is so inovative that we've only had one Mario game for each home console generation since 1996, Mario 64, Mario Sunshine and the upcoming Mario galaxy... And they have completly diferent scenarios.

That's a load of games seriously, 3 games... Specially when Capcom, for example, invented and did 3 DMC's this generation alone.

As for princess peach getting kidnapped... it's already a running joke, simple as that... the goal is to make something completely ridiculous.

Besides, that's not the point since we're talking about hardware

Yeah thats how we have had about 2 decent mario games from 1998 - when the first paper mario game got released, and all they other crap mario titles.

But two decent titles andone crap game (DMC), compare that to Nintendos one decent mario game this generation.

I wouldn't say they copied it, not when they were the first ones to introduce it sucessfully.

They also had used it before on GBC games such as tilt'n'trouble.

Sure they knew the existence of these controllers, but more than taking a GC controller and putting motion sensing in it they've done more than that, the others would just be used horizontally and tilted, there are games on wii that use that system, but you also have games were you use the wiimote as a pointer "it's like a lightgun", but the system is very innovative to say the least, as the sensor bar acts as a light beacon but it's the controller that capts that info and sends it over through a digital camera CCD sensor embedded, very clever.

As for being profitable... who's the company who'll invest on something not wanting money in return... captain obvious.

I'll state it again Disney had loads of motion sensitive stuff developed in the arly 90's for arcades.

There wasn't motion sensor in kirby's tilt and tumble as I have previsouly pointed it out it must have 3 axis (x,y,z) it only had x and y.

The unofficial sensor bar works as opposed to the heap of junk that it is of the official one.

Oh yeah nintendo's past president said that they only wanted to break even on it ;)

Now mods I'm going to quote a man who knows something(I won't give away his name):

"Beware the portugese mafia"

Em yes their has stuff from studios that create especially for it and also from some mobile companies too, but saying your just talking about consoles means that you should discount pc's as game playing devices even though it has as you put it 'serious devloper support'. On PDA I have seen more commercial games on it like Worms, MB games, and stuff like that
Still it's not standard or applied to a games console.

Look at DS software sales, and software done thinking on how to use the touch screen... now that's a market.

On PDA's it was a curiousity, and no, I don't consider a PDA a gaming device.

And may I just point out to you the Z-coordinate is to move it up and down so if a motion controller can do that it uses the Z-axis. Even though you don't want to believe it, Nintendo fan boy.
And... Do you actually think I don't know that?

Now get a Sidewinder Pro and see if it works... This Nintendo fanboy here has one, and he know's it doesn't.

I asked you a commercial controller before Wiimote that did Z-Axys stuff, don't run from the question.

You also point out kirbys tilt and tumble which was never released out here. I don't if wario ware twisted, or yoshis universal gravitation came out, but they didn't use the Z-axis you know ;)
I know, but since you're saying that I see that you're agreeing with me.

Thats why Sony were the first company to fully intergrate rumble into their controller without having to buy an extra part like the 64's rumble pack. Yet you seem totally stuck to realise what I'm saying is we don't know because they needed something extra to put in the controller, and that motion sensitivity was the extra special gift.
It was the obvious step to take after it's standard, it doesn't change the fact that it was Nintendo who took the risk to implement it, and Sony in order to not being "inferior" took it and placed it in the controller. Just like the joystick, N64 came with it from the start, PSone didn't.

Do you realise Sony reached an agreement with imersion?

Immersion and Sony Computer Entertainment Conclude Litigation and Enter Into Business Agreement

Thursday March 1, 4:30 pm ET

SAN JOSE, Calif. and FOSTER CITY, Calif., March 1 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Immersion Corporation, (Nasdaq: IMMR - News), a leading developer and licensor of touch feedback technology, and Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) today announced the companies have agreed to conclude their patent litigation at the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and have entered into a new business agreement to explore the inclusion of Immersion technology in PlayStation® format products.

"We are pleased to have put this litigation behind us," said Immersion CEO Victor Viegas. "Our new business agreement with Sony Computer Entertainment is specifically intended to enable advanced vibration capability for the benefit of the PlayStation gaming community. We are happy to provide our technology in this regard and hope to make technical proposals very soon with respect to use of our technology in the PlayStation products."

Immersion will receive the amount of the judgment entered by the District Court, which includes damages, pre-judgment interest, costs, and interest, in addition to retaining compulsory license fees ordered by the District Court which were already paid. Terms of the business agreement between the parties provide SCE with certain new rights with respect to Immersion's patent portfolio. Additional financial terms are not being disclosed. The conclusion of this litigation and the agreement will have no material impact on Sony's consolidated earnings forecast announced on January 30, 2007.

"We look forward to exploring with Immersion exciting new ways to bring the largest and best range of gameplay experiences to our customers," said Kazuo Hirai, President and Group Chief Operating Officer, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. "We are very excited about our new partnership with Immersion and the potential for new and innovative products incorporating their technologies."

Source: http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070301/sfth075.html?.v=79

They could have reached it all along, just like Microsoft did right after they were sued.

It's not about "they needed something and that was motion sensing", sony would not head that way alone, it just seemed convenient.

Yeah thats how we have had about 2 decent mario games from 1998 - when the first paper mario game got released, and all they other crap mario titles.

But two decent titles andone crap game (DMC), compare that to Nintendos one decent mario game this generation.

We're not commenting on game quality, besides they're pretty diferent games.

Also Paper Mario didn't com out in 1998, it's came in 2001.

I was reffering DMC and I could have reffered others and being more milked than Mario. Sure you also have spinoff's, but mario in those really acts as a seal of quality, although that doesn't mean I buy them.

I'll state it again Disney had loads of motion sensitive stuff developed in the arly 90's for arcades.
Here we go again, do you have a arcade system at home?

There wasn't motion sensor in kirby's tilt and tumble as I have previsouly pointed it out it must have 3 axis (x,y,z) it only had x and y.
And who said in the last post that the older controllers used only two axis?

Also you seem to claim that motion sensitive controllers didn't use the Z axis for the controllers yes they did.
point me a commercial controller before with motion sensing that did Z-axys, Microsoft Sidewinder pro was only X and Y coordinates, same for one or two tilt controllers that came out on PS1.

That also reffered to these obviously, there would be no use for a z axis anyway, in this case. It seems to me that you're just agreeing with me.

The unofficial sensor bar works as opposed to the heap of junk that it is of the official one.
cool.

Oh yeah nintendo's past president said that they only wanted to break even on it ;)
Dunno, since yamauchi didn't have any input on Wii development, he's pretty much retired.
Now mods I'm going to quote a man who knows something(I won't give away his name):

"Beware the portugese mafia"

Yeah that always sums it up right?

Right go to disney world, go into disney quest they have far maor acurate games than the wiimote. And you even use it as a sword plus you get to wear a snazzy VR helmet thing .

Anyway this is GDC no new consumer information gets released here unless it relates to developers somehow. And seen as its nintendo you wouldn't hear anything from nintendo anyway - even if the stock market thing wasn't happening.

Hm, I don't really feel like to post a reply to your posts, but now I just have to.

I believe the Z-axis is meant to be moving forward and backwards, instead of up and down or left and right.

And this is just a regular discussion, talking facts. So I wouldn't call him a fanboy.

I'm not sure at what time you joined gaming, but as far as I could tell, Sony released the PS1 and its controller in 1994 (JPN) and 1995 (USA/EU). The first iteration of their controller was based on the SNES controller with added prongs and extra shoulders buttons.

When Nintendo introduced their N64 and its controller, it had the analog stick and an expansion port, which was later used in games like Lylat Wars/Starfox 64. Nintendo didn't invent that, but they used the existing technology and popularized 3D gaming using 3D control and force feedback. Sony soon followed with a Dual Analog and later a DualShock controller, the latter had the rumble.

So yeah, Nintendo brought the ideas to the table, it was accepted by the market, their competitors followed. More or less that's what happened with other features such as the D-pad, SNES-diamond button layout (though admittedly, nothing earthshattering), shoulder buttons etc. It's for this attitude towards improving controls and bringing new things to the industry that they're credited for. And rightly so.

That's not to say Sony or Sega hasn't done their fair share of other stuff, like Eyetoy, Samba di Amigo controllers etc.

Oh and one final thing, to me, "milking a franchise" is releasing the same game under a new name without too many changes, be it artwork, levels, characters etc. There's a difference to branding a game with a certain IP and releasing a half-baked sequel. The Paper Mario titles are totally different to the 3D Mario titles out there. Nintendo has done their share of milking in the Pokemon titles (Red/Blue+Yellow, Gold/Silver+Crystal etc) and Mario Party games, which both aren't in-house titles btw.

Um, so yeah, kinda long post. Not trying to attack anyone or trying to force a different opinion on someone else. Just trying to get the facts straight.

Edit: Oh, should I made a mistake, feel free to correct me

Oh and one final thing, to me, "milking a franchise" is releasing the same game under a new name without too many changes, be it artwork, levels, characters etc.

Exactly. Sony itself is pretty bad when it comes to milking their own key-franchises:

* Five Jak & Dakter games during five year period.

* Five Ratchet & Clank games during five year period.

* Three God of Wars (2 x PS2 + 1 PSP) during four year period.

* Three Sly Raccoons during four year period.

etc.

And if we look Cube's output there is only five Nintendo franchises that had more than one more game in this generation. And even from those, only Mario Party had more than one sequel.

Hm, I don't really feel like to post a reply to your posts, but now I just have to.

I believe the Z-axis is meant to be moving forward and backwards, instead of up and down or left and right.

And this is just a regular discussion, talking facts. So I wouldn't call him a fanboy.

I'm not sure at what time you joined gaming, but as far as I could tell, Sony released the PS1 and its controller in 1994 (JPN) and 1995 (USA/EU). The first iteration of their controller was based on the SNES controller with added prongs and extra shoulders buttons.

When Nintendo introduced their N64 and its controller, it had the analog stick and an expansion port, which was later used in games like Lylat Wars/Starfox 64. Nintendo didn't invent that, but they used the existing technology and popularized 3D gaming using 3D control and force feedback. Sony soon followed with a Dual Analog and later a DualShock controller, the latter had the rumble.

So yeah, Nintendo brought the ideas to the table, it was accepted by the market, their competitors followed. More or less that's what happened with other features such as the D-pad, SNES-diamond button layout (though admittedly, nothing earthshattering), shoulder buttons etc. It's for this attitude towards improving controls and bringing new things to the industry that they're credited for. And rightly so.

That's not to say Sony or Sega hasn't done their fair share of other stuff, like Eyetoy, Samba di Amigo controllers etc.

Oh and one final thing, to me, "milking a franchise" is releasing the same game under a new name without too many changes, be it artwork, levels, characters etc. There's a difference to branding a game with a certain IP and releasing a half-baked sequel. The Paper Mario titles are totally different to the 3D Mario titles out there. Nintendo has done their share of milking in the Pokemon titles (Red/Blue+Yellow, Gold/Silver+Crystal etc) and Mario Party games, which both aren't in-house titles btw.

Um, so yeah, kinda long post. Not trying to attack anyone or trying to force a different opinion on someone else. Just trying to get the facts straight.

Edit: Oh, should I made a mistake, feel free to correct me

I was about to reply with pretty much exactly what you had said! I gotta agree, I really felt like I had to reply after reading through the "discussion"!

If I flame ZeldaFreak, I know for a fact that I will get backlash from certain members that dislike me, more so than if someone else did it. So, I am fighting in my mind whether to put him on my ignore list, and make all the crap wash away, like spiders in a drain. Hmm...

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!