NEurope
Dark Wolf

Am I in the Wrong?

This is really petty but it's been bugging me. Here's the situation:

I gave this guy two pieces of gum over a couple of weeks when he asked me for it. Yesterday, he asked me for a piece and I just gave him a very very very small piece. Today, he asked me again and I said no. This afternoon he asked the other bloke in the room if he wanted a sweet and I asked him if I could have one. He told me to "f*ck off" as I was being selfish for not giving him a piece that morning. Cue a long argument of him saying I'm selfish.

I just don't see how I'm in the wrong, that's what is worrying me. Yes, I know it's quite petty but it's been really bugging me.

A piece of gum? You're having an argument over a piece of gum? What an incredibly inconsequential thing to argue over. It doesn't matter who's wrong, just let the whole thing blow over.

He's not a friend as such. He went mental though saying things like, "No wonder you don't have friends." even though I do..

That's an incredibly stupid situation. I mean, sure you could've given him more gum, but it's no reason to act like that.

I mean, seriously. It's a piece of bleeping chewing gum.

You're not in the wrong. But here's some advice.

Don't give a crap.

What he said! :heh:

I actually totally understand where the OP is coming from, and I totally sympathise with you. You are NOT in the wrong, people are just fucking selfish ungrateful hypocrites, and it really annoys me. Rise above it though, and don't give him anything ever again in future.

(Something similar happened when I was back in school, in like year 8 or 9)

Haha, sorry but first I don't know why you stopped giving him chewing gum, even though he asked on more than one occasion at the end of the day its just 1 piece lol.

2nd I don't know why he took it so personally. He sounds like an idiot.

3rd you should brush up on you 'fibbing' skills. Just say to him "this is my last one, lets half it" which in turn he WILL refuse taking and you won't feel bad at all. Hide the rest. Simple.

:heh:

Edit: If he does half the 'last' piece of gum with you, never give him anything again...ever!

He said you have no friends because you didn't give him gum?

With that kind of attitude it sounds like he has no friends.

He said you have no friends because you didn't give him gum?

With that kind of attitude it sounds like he has no friends.

It was because of my selfish behaviour.

I gave this guy two pieces of gum over a couple of weeks when he asked me for it. Yesterday, he asked me for a piece and I just gave him a very very very small piece. Today, he asked me again and I said no. This afternoon he asked the other bloke in the room if he wanted a sweet and I asked him if I could have one. He told me to "f*ck off" as I was being selfish for not giving him a piece that morning. Cue a long argument of him saying I'm selfish.
I guess you could've called him more selfish than you are for not repaying for the gum you gave over 2 weeks. It makes sense. You could just conclude that both are selfish, only that he is more so than you are.

But anyway, as EEVILMURRAY said, personally I'd just ignore it. I sympathise with you though... I've had similar experiences many times over in the past. Some people are so self centred, they forget how much other people have done for them. Ironic really.

It was because of my selfish behaviour.

Selfish? He's the selfish one, you drawing the line is fair enough.

This would be the kinda thing that would bug me... but get over it and never give him gum again. :)

Since you seem to care alot about this topic, I'll recommend something else.

Start a tally. Then you can really find out who owes who what and when requests are rejected.

Date. Time. Place. You can't lose.

I've known a lot of people like that, usually they're just stupid pricks because they care enough about it not to give you something. I just don't put my self in that situation. So, don't give, don't recieve.

If it was Trident, i applaud you for giving some pieces in the first place. If it was just gum, you guys need to find something less lame to argue about.

I think arguing is part of friendship. It does happen, even petty ones. To all those saying that this is lame, I know how little things can really bug a person. I'm sure you've all been there, especially when the dude said "no wonder you have no friends."

Fact is, you've been kind to him over the last few weeks by giving him things. Friends do that, but you don't HAVE to give someone else something of yours. Usually you do it to be kind and sharing, etc. I'm not sure why you didn't give him another piece today, but it could be because you got fed-up of always giving him things. Oh, I've definitely been in ones of those situations! :)

At the end of the day, these things are very shortlived. You'll probably be fine tomorrow, argue the next day, fine the next, etc. It's how friendships are, they're never plain sailing.

For some reason, I reckon it'd have been real funny in a deadpan sort of way if you'd just punched him out as he was finishing his scentence.

Sometimes I think I may have a problem.

I think the title should be changed to 'The Gum Debate' and be used to discuss the new trident adverts, which I don't really get the point of, though I am really tempted to try some of this supposed super amazing gum.

Why not surprise him and buy him dinner?

I lol'd.