NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ashley

Expiration Date Relationships

Relationships you both know will end after x days, weeks or months due to one reason or another (normally one/both people leaving town or the country).

Can they work? You could chose to try a long-distance relationship, but that also has lots of problems. Personally I think they can work because, as I see it, whats the point in denying yourself happiness, even if its just for a few days? I suppose it fits in with my general opinion of relationships anyway; they never last.

Relationships you both know will end after x days, weeks or months due to one reason or another (normally one/both people leaving town or the country).

Can they work? You could chose to try a long-distance relationship, but that also has lots of problems. Personally I think they can work because, as I see it, whats the point in denying yourself happiness, even if its just for a few days? I suppose it fits in with my general opinion of relationships anyway; they never last.

Mr cynic!!

long distance relationships can work, obviously takes more effort and understanding. I was in a long distance relationship for 3 years and the distance was difficult at times, but it wasnt so bad it ended it.

As for a relationship on a time limit, cant say i've experienced that. If you can enjoy it, have fun without getting attached then go for it, if you both get attached then make effort to work it out.

also you spelt the title wrong :-p

i defo think long distance relationships can work, no where near as long as LukeLee has experienced though. i know i can't go a week or so without seeing the guy i'm meant to be going out with or else it just doesn't feel right to me.

never had one of them expiration date relationship style things. though i suppose i may have in the next year or so cos next september (08) i'm going to Japan for the year. kinda scared if i'm in a LT relationship then.

A long distance relation ship is in no way easy, but it can work :)

I mean, me and Jordan have been together over 7 months, with 600 miles apart!

My girlfriend lives next door. DO THE MATH!!!! Relationships cannot last if they are love, I agree. something will always go wrong eg death, loathing guts. Every other relationship CAN last forever.

Yep, they can work!

Was in one for about three years, and there was a distance of about 8000 km or 5000 miles. =P

And even though we're not really a couple anymore, we still talk pretty much every day and still meet up twice a year (plus we're keeping open the possibility of maybe getting back together). Long distance relationships can work well, you just have to put a lot of effort into it.

No idea about what you're asking though Ashley. It could definitely work, but the same as with long distance relationships, it's not going to work for everyone.

My girlfriend lives next door. DO THE MATH!!!! Relationships cannot last if they are love, I agree. something will always go wrong eg death, loathing guts. Every other relationship CAN last forever.

Come on. Admit it ... you say next door ... but you mean in the same house ... you say girlfriend ... but you mean sister.

My relationship started out with an expiration date - she was due to move to the other end of the country at the end of summer, and we figured that it would be a summer thing, we'd both have a good time and that would be that... Only the closer the date came, the more we knew we didn't want to end it, so we stuck it out and had a long-distance relationship, seeing each other every other weekend, taking it in turns to visit one another.

Now, I'm at uni too - moved to the same end of the country, just not the same city. It's not a long-distance relationship, just a medium one now. We alternate visits on weekends, and she's only an hour away at any time, so midweek visits are possible!

Thing is, I've got two more years of uni in sheffield, and she's got one more in leeds. After that, what happens? There's no way we consider that to be an expiry date, but it's just a mystery as to what happens. She can get a job in london fairly easily thanks to family help, so the distance could get bigger, the visits rarer and shorter... And to be honest, once you go through it you don't want to have to do it again.

I think distance strengthens what you have, makes sure you don't take anything for granted. It gave ME a reason to really study properly to ensure I could go to the uni I wanted to. before her, I didn't give a crap where I went.

.. Will stop now.

It depends how much you love each other I guess. Also weighed against the other options that lives much closer. What if a option comes along making the long distance seem like a drag? Maybe you could be happier with someone closer? ARE YOU WILLING TO TAKE THAT CHANCE?

i defo think long distance relationships can work, no where near as long as LukeLee has experienced though. i know i can't go a week or so without seeing the guy i'm meant to be going out with or else it just doesn't feel right to me.

never had one of them expiration date relationship style things. though i suppose i may have in the next year or so cos next september (08) i'm going to Japan for the year. kinda scared if i'm in a LT relationship then.

Me and Takeo prove that only hot steamy relationships work.

That make no sense.

Come on. Admit it ... you say next door ... but you mean in the same house ... you say girlfriend ... but you mean sister.

Damn you beat me to it. P.S When are we going to get another update on mini Odwin!

Actually to the point of short term relationships I agree Ashley, I think people should go for them. All expreience is good experience and, as you said, everyone deserves to be happy.

To be honest tho, if they suddenly turn out to last longer than you thought they would, well that's a whole different kettle of fish. I'm not sure if I would feel guilty on ending it when I thought it would. After all you do kinda go into the relationship on those terms. But at the end of the day you shouldnt feel guilty about continuing a relationship if its working.

Wow I said so much and hardly made any kind of point at all!

The title is spelt wrong, ashley. Just wanted to let you know.

To be fair you're not really the one to talk about that.

The title is spelt wrong, ashley. Just wanted to let you know.

I take it your relationships have very short expiration dates?

I think relationships like that are stupid and false and crap.

I did have a long distance relationship, but it wasnt like those short stupid ones, I went out with her cos we loved each other; not cos i'd fancied her for 5 seconds.

Yup and I couldn't be happier.

I love Letty :)

You can love the person more than anything, but it doesn't neccessarily mean it'll work. There's so many things that make a relationship, such as trust, communication, chemistry, many other things. More importantly, you've got to both want it.

If you don't have these things, being in the same place as the one you like/love will never be enough, nevermind being a million miles apart.

I don't think you can ever stop yourself from being attached to someone. Simple fact here: You can't help who you like. Just like you can't force yourself to like or love somebody.

At the end of the day, if you're with somebody knowing it's going to end next month, then you have to ask yourself if that's really what you want. Personally, I've never had to deal with that, but if I got together with someone and I knew it was going to end soon, I would feel really rubbish inside knowing that it was going to end soon.

also you spelt the title wrong :-p

And I made sure I spelt "expiration" right. Oops.

People seem to have started going off about long distance relationships, which wasn't what I was really talking about but ah well.

People seem to have started going off about long distance relationships, which wasn't what I was really talking about but ah well.

i covered both! woo!!!

but yeah, i don't think i could start anything proper with a guy say 3-4 months or so before it will have to end.

Give us the full story, man. We neeeda context!

I'm guessing you like somebody, and he/she will be leaving the country soon and you're buggered cos you dunno what to do?

Give us the full story, man. We neeeda context!

I'm guessing you like somebody, and he/she will be leaving the country soon and you're buggered cos you dunno what to do?

I kinda tried to set one up a few months ago but was so incredibly drunk I was just being stupid anyway.

The only reason this thread came around now was because I was watching Two Guys and a Girl earlier.

I don't whine about my personal relationship/lust/crush drama on NE because I'd have to give context and im lazy.

Sign in to follow this