NEurope
scubahood

Over use of the word chav

This ones been brewing in my mind for a while and I think its finally time to let it out. For a while now whenever someone uses the word chav it really makes me cringe because sadly its one of those words that is just far to overused and has now lost all meaning.

The word was great about three years ago when nobody used it and usually the people that were called chavs were actually chavs but now people seem to call anyone that isn't a rocker or anyone that wears sports clothes a chav.

A fine example is when hanging around with my friends that went to Sixth Form i'll be walking through town with them and there will be some kid in sports clothes minding his own business and my mate still feels the need to point out to me that he is a "chav".

As far as i'm concerned calling someone a chav is as narrowminded as racism. Its pretty much the same thing instead of judging someone by the colour of their skin you're judging them on something they choose to wear.

I find that true i walk around in tracksuit bottoms and i have coming from my phone panic at the disco

I think the words goth and emo are over-used now as well.

I do agree with what you said about people wearing sports gear being called chavs. It is prejudging the person before you even know them.

I do agree with what you said about people wearing sports gear being called chavs. It is prejudging the person before you even know them.

Nine times out of ten they turn out to be chavs though.

... haha ballymena is in wikipedia for using the word "Sham" or "Shem" as a Synonym for chav....

u hear more like "rite shem" - instead of chav here really.. or at least at my school.... tho chav calling is getting more popular

i got called a goth once :S... and a skater.. and a preppy goody goody

people just dont know what to call me,.:sad:

I don't really hear the word goth used much these days but the emo one I do. Saying that the people that get called emo seem to go out of their way to look like that and I find actually want to be classed as an emo.

These days at the grand old age of 21 I find myself a bit to old to get into this whole classing yourself as something game.

Chav is more of an attitude than a look. That is extremely narrowminded to say most people that wear sports clothes are "chavs".

Funny, I've been called a chav. Which was wierd.

I've also been called emo, by people who can't tell the difference between a guy with long black hair and some emo fag. They got a good arse kicking to be sure.

Yeah, but then what about that one person out of ten being called something they're not?

I do think there's an obsession with people being put under categories or labels.

Chav is more of an attitude than a look. That is extremely narrowminded to say most people that wear sports clothes are "chavs".

If you're not playing sports you shouldn't be wearing sports clothes!

Unless you're a chav, of course.

If the general populace are to be believed, the percentage of Chavs in the UK is somewhere around 4000%-86000% of the current population. I think it's a horrible word, basically used by anybody who wants to feel superior to someone for no actual reason.

Yeah, but then what about that one person out of ten being called something they're not?

I do think there's an obsession with people being put under categories or labels.

yeh... there is....

i was an emo / goth cause i liked fallout boy and had a black hoodie ( it was a fiver...lol)

i was a goody goody cause i havent had a dentention in my life =)

oh a a chav is... apparently

Chav is a mainly derogatory slang term in the United Kingdom for a subcultural stereotype fixated on fashions such as gold jewellery and 'designer' clothing. They are generally considered to have no respect for society, as well as being considered ignorant or unintelligent

I've been called goth, emo, baghead, mosher and most confusingly a black bastard presumably because I tend to dress in all black.

Just to add an extra eliment into the mix I listen to mostly indie rock.

What is a chav anyway?

That's just it though isn't it? It's more of an insult then an actual noun.

Thats rubbish theres nothing wrong with wearing a pair of tracksuit bottoms whilst doing everyday things they're affordable and very comfy although saying that I haven't worn a pair in about 7 years.

You seem to really have it in for "chavs" did one beat you at some point in your life and maybe that is why you are bitter?

What is a chav anyway?

http://www.chavscum.co.uk/

You seem to really have it in for "chavs" did one beat you at some point in your life and maybe that is why you are bitter?

They're just fucking scum. Surely you can see that?

I've been called goth, emo, baghead, mosher and most confusingly a black bastard presumably because I tend to dress in all black.

Just to add an extra eliment into the mix I listen to mostly indie rock.

I laughed at that. :D

I used to get called a goth/goff, but that was years ago. Sooner or later there's going to be a new category created for the majority who don't appear to fall under any other category. :heh:

Careful to watch your language, guys. Let's keep this clean.

See what I mean? Every time I see something like this I keep picturing a big room full of Lords and Ladies, all wearing frocks and moustaches as they laugh derisively about those horrid, horrid poor people.

All we learn in English class is "Hello, how are you today". "You look like a fucking chav" is university level :heh:

Yeah I truly don't know.

EDIT: Now I get it. I despise those people. It's not much of a problem here though.

Chav: Council House And Violent.

If someone wants to resemble like they're one of those people and think that the whole concept is cool then they deserve to be called a chav.

I know I use the term chav quite casualy but thats what happens these days, teenagers are being labelled into different groups.

There's emos, chavs, gangstas, losers and geeks.

I got called a loser once when some guys came over to me and my friends once asking for cigarettes and we didn't have any.

Obviously this was a guy that resembled the chav stereotype so I'm not gonna agree with scubahood's point because these people we're discussing will also label you based on nothing, why should we treat them differently.