N-Europe

Super Mario Sunshine > Super Mario 64

Stocka

I just went and got Super Mario 64 on VC. It's pretty good so far, but it's a lot better with a cube controller than a Classic Controller or an N64 controller.

I can't really imagine playing SM64 with a cube or classic controller, because it was designed with the N64 pad in mind. Seems...weird, imo.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its funny, because about 15 mins before bard posted i plugged in my 64 and ive been playing on mario. controller in my hand now.

Has anyone else got the full 120 stars? The triple jump is cool when you speak to yoshi.Its really useful in some levels and i use it frequently

Christ the music is good on the last bowser level. brings back memories!

love it

still its better to play a classic game on the 64 console
Yeah I agree, Zelda OOT on the N64 for example is so much better than the GC version.

e.g. All the fogging etc... that was removed for the GC version really adds to the atmosphere of the game on the N64!

Has anyone else got the full 120 stars?
Yeah I have!

Though the achievement (being able to say you've completed it 100%) is better than the reward! Infinite lives, when you've completed the game! :indeed:

It should have been that you could ride around the castle grounds on Yoshi, or unlock Luigi as a playable character!

Yeah I agree, Zelda OOT on the N64 for example is so much better than the GC version.

e.g. All the fogging etc... that was removed for the GC version really adds to the atmosphere of the game on the N64!

Yeah I have!

Though the achievement (being able to say you've completed it 100%) is better than the reward! Infinite lives, when you've completed the game! :indeed:

It should have been that you could ride around the castle grounds on Yoshi, or unlock Luigi as a playable character!

I was thinking something along the lines of a more powerful punch, a higher jump and an extra few levels. But riding on Yoshi... i thought riding on yoshi was crap in sunshine so...

Watching the ending sequence now... Its so cool having a brief look at every level youve been in...

What fog do you mean? The morning mist? They removed that?? I love the sunrises in OoT cause they look so chilly because of that mist. You really get the feeling of a cold sunrise, whilst the sunset is warm.

Anyway, OoT doesn't use fog, aside from that morning mist (which is intentional). It was one of the first games to not have fogging and very little pop-up (some trees pop-up once in a while way over in the distance, but that's it) on the N64. In fact, I don't think any first party games ever had fogging, even the launch title Mario 64 didn't. It had heavy pop-up though.

Acclaim games were the masters of fogging. :P

I can't really imagine playing SM64 with a cube or classic controller, because it was designed with the N64 pad in mind. Seems...weird, imo.

I was suprised at how perfect the GameCube controller was for SM64...It feels so much better than the 64 controller.

What fog do you mean? The morning mist? They removed that?? I love the sunrises in OoT cause they look so chilly because of that mist. You really get the feeling of a cold sunrise, whilst the sunset is warm.

Anyway, OoT doesn't use fog, aside from that morning mist (which is intentional). It was one of the first games to not have fogging and very little pop-up (some trees pop-up once in a while way over in the distance, but that's it) on the N64. In fact, I don't think any first party games ever had fogging, even the launch title Mario 64 didn't. It had heavy pop-up though.

Acclaim games were the masters of fogging. :P

No I was referring to the fog in Kokiri forest; you can't see all the way from one end to the other and you certainly can't see the Deku Tree rising above the trees in the distance; just a faint outline of something; which adds a great sense of mystery!

In the GC this 'fog' doesn't exist and the draw distance is much greater so you can see everything and it ruins the atmosphere!

Also I like it on the N64 that the people of Kokiri forest don't appear until you are quite close to them, all you see is their fairy. On the GC you can see everyone from anywhere!

This video shows the 'fog' I'm reffering to;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocufF_zHZ9s

I was thinking something along the lines of a more powerful punch, a higher jump and an extra few levels. But riding on Yoshi... i thought riding on yoshi was crap in sunshine so...

Watching the ending sequence now... Its so cool having a brief look at every level youve been in...

Yes Yoshi was rubbish in Sunshine, but I think somehow it would have been better on the N64 because you wouldn't have expected so much! and just being limited to the castle grounds eating butterflies would have been pretty fun!

An extra level would have been awesome though!

And yeah I agree that the ending of Mario 64 is one of the best endings there is! Looking back over all the levels is so cool and the music is great!

Sarias song in the lost forest in OOT is the best music in the zelda series, maybe apart from the opening sequence, but they're both different.

http://www.mp3-center.org/download_mp3/Zelda%2064/Saria%20s%20Song/2628638

Think I'd have to agree, the Lost Woods song is awesome!

Majora's Mask 'classic' overworld remix is also great!

The 'credits' music of Ocarina of Time is phenomenal!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJtLyiM4jmc

I find it hard to go back to the N64 controller, mainly because of the stick. Play it for more than an hour and it begins to dig into your thumb. It's also very stiff. Compared to the nunchuk's or the 360's, the N64's stick just feels a bit crap now. Still probably better than the PS2's.

Compared to the nunchuk's or the 360's, the N64's stick just feels a bit crap now.

The GameCubes controller does now, too - the inner rings on the top now feel quite uncomfortable. Still, Mario 64 still feels better with the Cube controller over the classic controller (I'd say mainly because the classic controller's Analogue Stick/D-Pad placement is designed with 2D Games in mind)

The GameCubes controller does now, too - the inner rings on the top now feel quite uncomfortable.

Well I was quite disapointed that Nintendo dropped the inner rings for the Wii joystick. It was kind of a Nintendo trademark, no one else had joysticks like that. Now, it looks more like the others. At least they kept their other trademark, the octagonal shape in which the joystick is.

I find it hard to go back to the N64 controller, mainly because of the stick. Play it for more than an hour and it begins to dig into your thumb. It's also very stiff. Compared to the nunchuk's or the 360's, the N64's stick just feels a bit crap now. Still probably better than the PS2's.

the n64 controller was always a peice of crap. i hated it so much. So badly designed. the only games that worked were goldeneye and mario 64