NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
KingOfHyrule

National anthems

God Save The Queen is pure dirge, refuse to sing it. It's easily the most miserable national anthem I've heard and excludes anyone who's not a christian or a monarchist in the first line alone. And we even nicked the tune.

Agreed. I don't believe in God, and I'd rather they stop the seemingly-useless monarch system. God Smite The Queen would be much, much better.

God Save The Queen is pure dirge, refuse to sing it. It's easily the most miserable national anthem I've heard and excludes anyone who's not a christian or a monarchist in the first line alone. And we even nicked the tune.

Totally agree. That's why I don't sing along to Bon Jovi's 'Living on a Prayer' - I mean come on, it excludes every non-Christian.

Totally agree. That's why I don't sing along to Bon Jovi's 'Living on a Prayer' - I mean come on, it excludes every non-Christian.

The thing is - you can sing along to "Livin on a Prayer" without even taking in the meaning of the song. National Anthems are sung pretty much only for their meaning.

When did Living On A Prayer become the official anthem for your country, sung at official events? When did you have to sing Livin On A Prayer to express your patriotism?

Also - "God Save The Queen" doesn't really express our apparent massive range of cultures. "Land of Hope and Glory" does. And singing about the country, rather than someone who no longer has much influence, is a much better idea.

The thing is - you can sing along to "Livin on a Prayer" without even taking in the meaning of the song. National Anthems are sung pretty much only for their meaning.

:D

I know there is a distinction, but I don't think it's the one you stated. You sing along to Bon Jovi because you like the tune. The words are much less relevant than the tune.

In general, people sing a National Anthem because it gives them a sense of pride in their country. But again, the words are much less relevant. Why else does an entire football stadium crowd stand up and sing it? I doubt they go to church on Sunday.

I just think it should sound like a celebration of your country - Not a funeral march like GSTQ (This is especially apparent when we play african teams as they tend to have extremely jolly and upbeat anthems)

The fact that it's basically one long arselick of the queen and how generally ace she is at stuff like murdering scotsmen sticks in the throat a bit when it should be about the good things we can do as a nation. "Happy and glorious" is a piss take as well, I've never seen that sour faces auld trout look happy in her life.

Really wonder how people would adapt to singing "God Save The King" to Charlie if Liz popped her clogs tomorrow.

Amhrán na bhFiann is the Irish National Anthem as KoH has already said. It is a fantastically evocative anthem, as an anthem should be.

It was actually originally written as an English language song in 1907 and the Irish version wasn't heard until the 1916 rising when it was sung in the GPO on O'Connell Street by the rebels.

Here's the original English version of it:

Soldiers are we

Whose lives are pledged to Ireland

Some have come

From a land beyond the wave

Sworn to be free

No more our ancient sire land

Shall shelter the despot or the slave

Tonight we man the "gap of danger"[1]

In Erin's cause, come woe or weal

'Mid cannon's roar and rifles' peal

We'll chant a soldier's song

My national anthem is: "Maamme laulu": In english:"Our counry's song"

(It's Finland's national anthem as well.)

The first lines are probably quite miserable, at a football game, you'd hear the fans above the music, it starts off slow, but then you get to "SEND HER VICTORIOUS..." which everyone belts out with pride, except for Gary Neville.

Perhaps England should have its own anthem, maybe not 10 German Bombers. Even though it is catchy. (Thinks of Three Lions, then thinks "nah".)

I just think it should sound like a celebration of your country - Not a funeral march like GSTQ (This is especially apparent when we play african teams as they tend to have extremely jolly and upbeat anthems)

Oh, I totally agree with you on that.

Why does the Queen need saving anyway? Is someone killing her?

I think the french had the right idea about the monarchy to be honest.

Hold on, can i still be hanged for saying that? :shock:

Some other potential candidates for being a massive Scotland song are (all sung live by Scotland fans the day Scotland beat France...

Do Re Mi

well after seeing michael schumacher win liike 50 grand prixs in 4 seasons (or something crazy like that) i now love the italian and german anthems to bits lol.

I'm from portugal. Our anthem sucks. It really really sucks.

I actually like it. Well, it's not on my playlist, but it's catchy and the lyrics are good.

I think the french had the right idea about the monarchy to be honest.

Hold on, can i still be hanged for saying that? :shock:

Yes. And if not, I'll do it. Because we all know where we'd be without rules. France.

I've listened to all the anthems mentioned so far (I've posted links to them on my original post if anyone's interested, and I'll keep adding to it until the thread dies out) and they're all very good - I like the Danish anthem, it's quite different to all our military-sounding anthems.

God Save The Queen/King

Just pure Greatness.

However for football I think England should use Land of Hope and Glory as all the other home countries use their own anthems.

I propose Jerusalem.

It's very, very rousing, and I actually know the words.:heh:

By the way I love Flower of Scotland. It's very sad, especially because Prince Edward came back and slaughtered them all...

If you want to know:

Ukrainian: Shche ne vmerla Ukraina (english:Ukraine Has Not Died Yet)

You can see what the lyrics are here

To be honest, I know the song, when we sing it I can sing it off by heart without knowing what words come next, it comes naturally but I never knew what it meant.

I think maybe Guns Don't Kill People, Rappers Do.

What? For the English National Anthem? Bugger off, that song belongs to us Welsh folk. :heh:

Sign in to follow this